Ask an Agnostic

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-07-2012, 09:32 PM (This post was last modified: 14-07-2012 09:36 PM by Azaraith.)
RE: Ask an Agnostic
(14-07-2012 08:48 PM)Ghost Wrote:  Hey, Azaraith.

Put down that puny shovel of yours and use this. It'll allow you to dig your hole much faster!

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt

Can you answer the question "do you believe in a god?" in one word: yes/no? Then you have a position on theism/atheism. It's fairly obvious that your answer to that question would have a ", but ____" attached to it, but that's the point - you can claim that we can't have knowledge of spiritual questions like "is there a god", but you also wouldn't answer "yes" to the question. Atheism would indeed be a pointless statement - if the majority of the world wasn't theist. Just like we don't have asantaists (those who lack belief in Santa), atheism is only lent meaning in contrast to society that is largely theistic. I get that your answer to the question would probably be along the lines of "I can't say for sure either way", but in the end you'd still be capable of answering a yes/no question and would answer "no", correct?

Aside from theistic claims, the whole debate is meaningless. IMO, if you reject the extant theistic claims and do not substitute your own, you're an atheist. If not, you're a theist. Whether or not we can be certain about things like that is beyond the point - the whole idea of a spiritual dimension, supernatural, etc. exists because of theism. Absent of the suggestion of the supernatural/spiritual, saying we can't know for sure about spiritual matters is pointless as well.

Better without God, and happier too.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-07-2012, 09:37 PM
(14-07-2012 08:48 PM)Ghost Wrote:  Also, on a personal level, I don't care about religious definitions of God. They could all be right, all be wrong, or somewhere in between, who cares, I don't owe any allegiance to any denomination. But if a doctrinal definition of God proves false, it says nothing about the existence of God. For example, if I say my penis exists and it can fire lightning bolts (hello ladies Cool ), a notion that is demonstrably false, it says nothing of the existence of my penis. Lightning or no, it exists. Bible, Gita, Qur'an or no, God either exists or doesn't (but simultaneously exists and doesn't exist until we know muahahahahahahahaha!!!).
Schrödinger's cat, in a nutshell. Or in not-a-nutshell. In an anutshell? *brain splodes*

There's a lightning storm going on right now and you screwed the whole experience for me, Ghost. Big Grin

CTS

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
[+] 1 user Likes cheapthrillseaker's post
14-07-2012, 09:49 PM
(14-07-2012 09:32 PM)Azaraith Wrote:  Can you answer the question "do you believe in a god?" in one word: yes/no?

LC. Tongue

It's rather dogmatic to assume certain truths are expressible in digital.

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like houseofcantor's post
14-07-2012, 10:02 PM
And if this crazy ol' prophet is right, "god" is nothing more than simulation of mind of another in mind. Always has been. Not exactly something we can do without.

God ain't the problem, it's speakers for god, and why the fuck you haven't stoned me yet? Dumbasses. Big Grin

[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
14-07-2012, 10:18 PM
(14-07-2012 10:02 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  [...] and why the fuck you haven't stoned me yet? Dumbasses. Big Grin
Jehova, Jehova!

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
[+] 3 users Like Vosur's post
14-07-2012, 10:56 PM
(14-07-2012 10:18 PM)Vosur Wrote:  Jehova, Jehova!

Ridiculous. Taking the Lord's name in vain is the last warning. Thing about god's rules is that they were meant to be broken, they just weren't meant to be broken casually. Everybody has got a final line. For me it's don't be thinking I can hurt Gwyneth Paltrow. Absurd, but well defined. Most people don't think that far.

Do you know where your line is? Do you know why it is good (moral) to know?

I remember when it was 2.4 billion Christians vs. one Gwynnite. Fuckers wanna go toe to toe, they convert or I die. That's win/win. Big Grin

Why I'm an atheist is that the LC was big enough for seven billion individual my Gwynnies. Gnostic in my atheism cause I know love. I don't know wtf kinda other invisible thing you think you need. Big Grin

15-07-2012, 01:41 AM
So let me get this straight...

You have created your own personal definition of the word atheist and theist which describe them as gnostic things, and then criticize the positions of both... When corrected you state that the terms are too vague... Let me simplify: Theist= Belief in a personal god, A-theist= non-belief in a personal god. It's that simple.

For the sake of creating our own definitions though, let me tell you my PERSONAL definition of agnostic: a. Some dick who believes he is above taking a damn positions, and sees the positions as some sort of fucking moral high-ground to criticize those who actually have knowledge on the subject far beyond the lazy prick. b. A person who is a transitionary phrase between Atheist and Theist and is overall confused. c. A person who doesn't realize that agnostic means "without knowledge" and is not a religious view by itself.
[+] 1 user Likes TheKetola's post
15-07-2012, 01:52 AM
(14-07-2012 10:02 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  And if this crazy ol' prophet is right, "god" is nothing more than simulation of mind of another in mind. Always has been. Not exactly something we can do without.

God ain't the problem, it's speakers for god, and why the fuck you haven't stoned me yet? Dumbasses. Big Grin

Since when have you ever needed any help getting stoned, dumbass? Tongue

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
15-07-2012, 02:09 AM
(15-07-2012 01:52 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(14-07-2012 10:02 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  And if this crazy ol' prophet is right, "god" is nothing more than simulation of mind of another in mind. Always has been. Not exactly something we can do without.

Since when have you ever needed any help getting stoned, dumbass? Tongue
Since I'm poor. Dumbass. Big Grin

[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
15-07-2012, 05:57 AM
Hey, Chas.

It was good old fashioned sarcasm, homey.

To ruin a perfectly good lame joke. Evolution has overwhelming evidence UNLIKE the non-existence of God. You said the non-existence of God had overwhelming evidence. I was pooping on your head a little. Aaaaaaaand joke dies a painful death Cool

Hey, Azaraith.

Incorrect.

Like I said before, only certain people view it as binary. I am not one of those people. I'll use yes AND no, or neither, but never one on it's own.

Neutrality is neutrality.

Hey, Thrillseeker.

Reprazent! Schrödinger what!

Glad you were thinking about my penis. Muahahahahaha!

Hey, Ketola.

If you want to call Richard Dawkins', Thomas Henry Huxley's, and other people's definitions that I'm simply reporting here MY personal opinions, you go right ahead. I'm gonna have a Heineken with reality while you do.

You may think your an original, but your Definition 6 was foretold of in the Good Book of Page Three!

As for your personal position, go fuck yourself. Yaaaaaaaaaaaay!

My big question is, why does the fact that people have a different opinion than yours make you so butthurt?

Also, anyone who says something is simple is selling something.

Lastly, everyone seems to be thinking about my penis today. Thrillseeker's going on about lightning wang, you're all choked up on pricks and dicks (see what I did there?). You guys need to get out more.

And as for fucking on the high ground, we all know how that ends.

Note, they seem to have some sort of lightning wangs Cool

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt
[+] 3 users Like Ghost's post