Ask an Agnostic

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-07-2012, 08:50 PM
RE: Ask an Agnostic
I think only 3 angels can dance on the head of a pin. I know that others believe way more can, but when you think about what angels are named in the Bible, there really aren't that many. Sure, there's a heavenly host mentioned, but only Michael and Gabriel are given names. But 2 is not any kind of Holy Number, but three is. Therefore, 3 angels can dance on the head of a pin.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-07-2012, 09:45 PM
Hey man. I'm just trying to have a nice, thoughtful discussion.
(15-07-2012 06:30 PM)TheKetola Wrote:  Umm, Ghost, I was referencing the creator of the thread, as far as I know, your definitions of Atheist and Theist are not outlandish and idiotic. His clearly was and pissed me off, I know you call yourself agnostic, but you clearly don't do it in the dickish way that this guy does (making an "ask an agnostic" thread, and then pissing all over the crowd you are supposedly providing the service for).
15-07-2012, 11:15 PM
(15-07-2012 08:50 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  I think only 3 angels can dance on the head of a pin. I know that others believe way more can, but when you think about what angels are named in the Bible, there really aren't that many. Sure, there's a heavenly host mentioned, but only Michael and Gabriel are given names. But 2 is not any kind of Holy Number, but three is. Therefore, 3 angels can dance on the head of a pin.
Rafieal? Or Rapheal was an angel named in the bible. That completes your set.

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
16-07-2012, 05:30 AM
Azaraith.

You sit there talking about how people are immature and silly and cowards and ignorant and then bitch that people are ad homing you? Go fuck yourself.

There have been thoughtful responses to your questions. How about you engage with those like an adult instead of throwing a fucking tantrum and then complaining when people don't take your shitty insults?
16-07-2012, 07:03 AM (This post was last modified: 16-07-2012 07:15 AM by Azaraith.)
(16-07-2012 05:30 AM)Ghost Wrote:  Azaraith.

You sit there talking about how people are immature and silly and cowards and ignorant and then bitch that people are ad homing you? Go fuck yourself.

There have been thoughtful responses to your questions. How about you engage with those like an adult instead of throwing a fucking tantrum and then complaining when people don't take your shitty insults?
I didn't start ad-hominem attacks, you did. Nor the jokes, etc. The term "ignorant" that I used was directed as its definition towards some that simply are "ignorant" of what the terms mean. Cowardly is referring to those that use the term agnostic as a way of avoiding using the term atheist, due to perceived stigma. I wasn't just calling people ignorant and cowardly as character traits. I also said "makes you seem", since I know there are other reasons people claim to be agnostic rather than agnostic atheist or atheist, but people may come to different conclusions than your reasoning when they just hear you say "I'm an agnostic".

It seems you have different reasons than either of those, so you don't fall into those categories. I don't agree with your reasoning, but I'm not calling you ignorant or cowardly. Perhaps immature though, considering that you immediately dropped into silly youtube vids and "you're opinion is wrong, man" shit.

Quote:The question of the supernatural is a valid question. It's unanswerable by most of the means of investigation we know of, but it's still a valid question. Kind of like, what's it really like to be dead? To me, that question is interesting as all hell. But in the end, we can guess all we like, but we have no real way of knowing.

That's where I disagree - we have no evidence whatsoever of anything supernatural or spiritual. There is no reason to believe that such a thing exists. What's it like to be dead? Just like when you're sleeping w/out dreams. You cease to exist. That doesn't scare me or make me uncomfortable, and there's literally no reason to believe that there is anything other than that.

There's a fundamental difference in how we think. I don't wax poetic about how I'm unsure and "everything's possible man, even fairies!" If there's no reason for me to believe something is true, then I have no reason to entertain it as a possibility. I regard the idea of god and spirituality in the same way as I regard fairies - technically not disproven, but there's absolutely no evidence backing their existence and their invention by men is extremely likely, and in some cases demonstrable (Tinker Bell, for example). If someone wants me to believe that a deity exists, they've got to have a mountain of evidence to prove it, not just invent a deity that can't be demonstrated as false.

Also, perhaps I should have said spirituality/supernatural is a religious claim/invention, as I'd temporarily forgotten about non-theist religions like Buddhism.

As for the rest of your post, I don't have the time to respond right now, even if I care to.

Better without God, and happier too.
16-07-2012, 07:15 AM (This post was last modified: 16-07-2012 07:20 AM by Logica Humano.)
(15-07-2012 08:42 PM)Azaraith Wrote:  
(15-07-2012 04:43 PM)Logica Humano Wrote:  Your opinion is flawed. We know full and well what the term means. I'd say that anybody who does not admit that they are an agnostic atheist and not a pure atheist is hypocritical, illogical, and nonsensical. If you do not have the .001% of doubt required, you are as foolish and deluded as any theist.

To claim you know that there is no God is as logical as saying there is a God.

And, to reiterate what Agnostic means:

Welcome to English.
Read my posts again, and you'll find you're the ignorant one. I *am* an agnostic atheist. Welcome to basic thinking skills. You also shouldn't be capitalizing agnostic, atheist or god, they aren't proper nouns (except in the case of god, if you're referring to the Judeo-Christian God). Your definition of agnostic also has shit-all to do with theism directly - it's regarding claims to knowledge, which IMO are modifiers of theist/atheist positions and not a position on the topic itself.

Neither I nor you are claiming absolute knowledge that there isn't a god, you and Ghost are just silly enough to claim that you can reasonably hold a position of "gee, I dunno if I believe in or don't believe in a god, you can't know the answer, so here I sit on my fence..."

You guys are also shitting on your own case / destroying your credibility through silly ad-hominems and immature jokes. I've not responded to them, but seriously - it makes you both look like you're fucking 13.
That not at all affects what I said. Also, the one time I do actually capitalize the word "Agnostic" is correct because, according to the rules of English, I am speaking about the word itself. Again, you can just deny the dictionary definition, and act as if the subject of God is any different from any other topic, but meh.

Never did I say you are claiming absolute knowledge; rather, I was pointing what and agnostic atheist is. I was also using the word "you", in place of the word "one". I would have thought you would have understood that, since you have not made any such claims.

I have no idea what you are talking about. Whether or not Ghost used ad-hominems matters not to me, because I am not Ghost. I have not used any personal attacks, but I have attacked your claims and opinions.

And, IMO, you started the insults to begin with.

Quote:IMO, claiming to be an agnostic both makes you seem intellectually lazy and ignorant of what the terms mean.

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]
16-07-2012, 07:20 AM
(16-07-2012 07:15 AM)Logica Humano Wrote:  
(15-07-2012 08:42 PM)Azaraith Wrote:  Read my posts again, and you'll find you're the ignorant one. I *am* an agnostic atheist. Welcome to basic thinking skills. You also shouldn't be capitalizing agnostic, atheist or god, they aren't proper nouns (except in the case of god, if you're referring to the Judeo-Christian God). Your definition of agnostic also has shit-all to do with theism directly - it's regarding claims to knowledge, which IMO are modifiers of theist/atheist positions and not a position on the topic itself.

Neither I nor you are claiming absolute knowledge that there isn't a god, you and Ghost are just silly enough to claim that you can reasonably hold a position of "gee, I dunno if I believe in or don't believe in a god, you can't know the answer, so here I sit on my fence..."

You guys are also shitting on your own case / destroying your credibility through silly ad-hominems and immature jokes. I've not responded to them, but seriously - it makes you both look like you're fucking 13.
That not at all affects what I said. Also, the one time I do actually capitalize the word "Agnostic" is correct because, according to the rules of English, I am speaking about the word itself. Again, you can just deny the dictionary definition, and act as if the subject of God is any different from any other topic, but that does not make you more sophisticated or intellectual.

Never did I say you are claiming absolute knowledge; rather, I was pointing what and agnostic atheist is.

I have no idea what you are talking about. Whether or not Ghost used ad-hominems matters not to me because I am not him. I have not used any ad-hominems, rather, I have attacked your claims and opinions.

Quote:IMO, claiming to be an agnostic both makes you seem intellectually lazy and ignorant of what the terms mean.

Read my post above. I was saying "makes you seem" and referring specifically to the fact that many simply confuse the terms and think that agnostic is a position between theism and atheism on a spectrum of belief, where atheism is defined as being absolutely sure there is no god. Your "welcome to English" quip could be seen as an ad-hominem, as it's inferring a lack of intelligence. And I know what agnostic atheist is, as I'm one, so I'm not sure why you were pointing that out.

Better without God, and happier too.
16-07-2012, 07:31 AM (This post was last modified: 16-07-2012 07:35 AM by Logica Humano.)
(16-07-2012 07:20 AM)Azaraith Wrote:  
(16-07-2012 07:15 AM)Logica Humano Wrote:  That not at all affects what I said. Also, the one time I do actually capitalize the word "Agnostic" is correct because, according to the rules of English, I am speaking about the word itself. Again, you can just deny the dictionary definition, and act as if the subject of God is any different from any other topic, but that does not make you more sophisticated or intellectual.

Never did I say you are claiming absolute knowledge; rather, I was pointing what and agnostic atheist is.

I have no idea what you are talking about. Whether or not Ghost used ad-hominems matters not to me because I am not him. I have not used any ad-hominems, rather, I have attacked your claims and opinions.

Read my post above. I was saying "makes you seem" and referring specifically to the fact that many simply confuse the terms and think that agnostic is a position between theism and atheism on a spectrum of belief, where atheism is defined as being absolutely sure there is no god. Your "welcome to English" quip could be seen as an ad-hominem, as it's inferring a lack of intelligence. And I know what agnostic atheist is, as I'm one, so I'm not sure why you were pointing that out.
And? I can say that your quibble with semantics makes you "seem" brain-dead. I do not believe that takes the sentiment out of the statement, does it? To me, you are taking a self-righteous position, as if you are the only one who actually has access to a dictionary. I can assure you that if anyone on here says they are an agnostic atheist, a fairly unknown belief, they know what they mean. Making a blanket statement, claiming that anyone who declares themselves as an agnostic atheist makes them intellectually lazy, makes as much sense as saying all atheists are devil-worshipers.

In all technicalities, agnosticism can considered the middle of the spectrum. People saying they "do not know" can freely move to any side, without much argument, when evidence is presented to them. It is a form of intellectual neutrality.

Also, atheism is not a claim that there is no god, but rather that you do not believe in a deity.

As for your complaints about my statement, "Welcome to English," it was a sarcastic way of saying, "Words have multiple definitions." It would be ad-hominem if I said, "You are retarded, and you obviously don't understand sarcasm."

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]
16-07-2012, 07:45 AM
Get a room, you two. Tongue

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post
16-07-2012, 07:52 AM