Ask an Agnostic

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-07-2012, 10:05 AM
RE: Ask an Agnostic
When can we start asking the Agnostic questions as the title implies?

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-07-2012, 10:10 AM
(16-07-2012 10:05 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  When can we start asking the Agnostic questions as the title implies?
Agnostic means without knowledge. What useful question would I ask someone who doesn't know anything? Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
16-07-2012, 11:21 AM (This post was last modified: 16-07-2012 11:24 AM by Rahn127.)
"Excuse me sir what time is it ? I seem to have misplaced my watch."
-"I don't know what time it is, Sorry"

"I see you are wearing a watch. If you could just peek down at it."
-"I set the watch with a random time. I have no way of knowing if it's accurate or not"

"I see. Well judging by the sun, I would say it's before noon.
-"Given that our minds can be fooled, I don't know how much stock I would put in your senses"

"I'm fairly certain that you and I are both here under the nearly noon looking sun."
-"I don't know about that. I'm naked wearing only a watch. I'm not sure if I missed the school bus or not. Could be a dream."

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 2 users Like Rahn127's post
16-07-2012, 11:27 AM
(16-07-2012 10:10 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(16-07-2012 10:05 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  When can we start asking the Agnostic questions as the title implies?
Agnostic means without knowledge. What useful question would I ask someone who doesn't know anything? Consider

Good point. But then, of course you made me agree with you since I'm really you.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
16-07-2012, 12:00 PM
(16-07-2012 11:27 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(16-07-2012 10:10 AM)Chas Wrote:  Agnostic means without knowledge. What useful question would I ask someone who doesn't know anything? Consider

Good point. But then, of course you made me agree with you since I'm really you.
Shhhhh!. Shut up! Angry

Angry No, you shut up!

No, no, you shut up! Angry

[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
16-07-2012, 12:08 PM
(16-07-2012 08:52 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(15-07-2012 11:15 PM)Atothetheist Wrote:  Rafieal? Or Rapheal was an angel named in the bible. That completes your set.

Rafael is a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle. Only one TMNT can dance on the head of a pin.

(Also, he's named in apocryphal writings that Protestants don't accept as part of the Bible, so I didn't think of him. Lucifer is the third mentioned by name, but the other two are too snooty to dance with him.)
Ahhh damn christians and their standards for Their texts! It's not like people will take your religion seriously until you have to ALTER the goddamn scriptures.

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
[+] 1 user Likes Atothetheist's post
17-07-2012, 12:36 AM
(14-07-2012 05:24 PM)PeacefulSkeptic Wrote:  Let me see if I got this right.

Many people on this site are proclaimed "Atheists." Personally, I define this term as "someone who knows that there is no "master and creator of the universe." (Correct me if this conception is inaccurate.)

Obviously, in contrast, the position that supports theism is one that "knows there is a master and creator of the universe." (Again, correct me if fraudulent.)

These two positions, in my opinion, are epidemically dishonest. Surely, there is no evidence that can ultimately prove or disprove of God's existence. There is no conclusive way of knowing. This of course, is the Agnostic way of thinking. I agree with this because I think it is important for us to be frank with ourselves.

Any comments or questions to discuss?
I used to be like you my friend.

What I think you fail to realize is that agnosticism is nothing but a subcategory of atheism.

Atheism is NOT knowing there is no god.

Atheism is believing there is no god. And if you believe there is no god then you are an atheist.

As an agnostic, you will never lower yourself to the arrogance of gnosticism (knowing). I understand that.

But whether you like it or not. You have to view things on a weight scale. You have to make a choice of most probable or unprobable. It's not 50/50.

Which is more likely? That god does or doesn't exist?

You will find that most theist are gnostic and I dare you to find me an atheist who is also gnostic. Fact is, most atheist are agnostic.

Here, watch this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfk7tW429...ce=message

Forget Jesus. Stars died so you could live.-Lawrence Krauss

For god loved the world so much he tortured his only begotten son, gave him a 3 day nap only to wake up in ultimate awesomeness and called it a sacrifice.
[+] 2 users Like Atheist Chiefs fan!'s post
17-07-2012, 03:37 AM
Your point is well taken. It does seem more likely that God does not exist than the probability that he does.

As for the video... I love it! I watched that whole discussion on Oxfords iTunes University. Very interesting!
(17-07-2012 12:36 AM)Atheist Chiefs fan! Wrote:  But whether you like it or not. You have to view things on a weight scale. You have to make a choice of most probable or unprobable. It's not 50/50.

Which is more likely? That god does or doesn't exist?

Here, watch this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfk7tW429...ce=message
17-07-2012, 05:28 AM
(16-07-2012 10:10 AM)Chas Wrote:  
Than you are a blind, ignorant, foolish, and uneducated atheist. ;D

6 on the Dawkins scale, 4 on the Hitchens scale.

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]
17-07-2012, 05:44 AM
(17-07-2012 05:28 AM)Logica Humano Wrote:  
(16-07-2012 10:10 AM)Chas Wrote:  Agnostic means without knowledge. What useful question would I ask someone who doesn't know anything? Consider
Than you are a blind, ignorant, foolish, and uneducated atheist. ;D

6 on the Dawkins scale, 4 on the Hitchens scale.
Damn! All those years of school, all of those books, all of the thinking, all of the discussions, all for naught. No