Ask an Atheist Day (SSA)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-04-2012, 10:55 AM
RE: Ask an Atheist Day (SSA)
Thanks! I'll try to get some video, but no guarantees.

The purpose of the event is to help clear up some of the misinformation about atheism and allow people to discuss religion openly, in a critical manner. So in that sense, there is a huge position to defend because we've stayed quiet for so long we've allowed myths and legends about us to be seen as fact (aren't we on par with rapists somewhere?). I guess what I want to get out of this is to show people that religion shouldn't be a taboo subject for discussion.

Of all the ideas put forth by science, it is the principle of Superposition that can undo any power of the gods. For the accumulation of smaller actions has the ability to create, destroy, and move the world.

"I am the master of my fate, I am the captain of my soul." -W. E. Henley
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-04-2012, 11:01 AM
RE: On the other hand, ...
(18-04-2012 10:13 AM)Dom Wrote:  
(18-04-2012 08:22 AM)germanyt Wrote:  Don't atheists still have a position to defend?

I don't think so, we are not the ones modelling our lives after 2000 year old fairy tales and talking to imaginary friends.

But we are still a minority lviing in a democracy full of people who would ban us if they could.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
Find all posts by this user
18-04-2012, 11:09 AM

(18-04-2012 10:12 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(17-04-2012 09:28 PM)publius2k4 Wrote:  Quite an amazing idea.....That'll never happen here in the deep south....that would be a shot below the (bible) belt lol
You make it sound like atheists are hunted for sport and mounted on the walls...

Well, in our neck of the woods, there is the annual atheist fry. Lots of balloons, rides, kids enjoy it, you know? Chase
Quote this message in a reply
18-04-2012, 11:37 AM
(18-04-2012 11:09 AM)Egor Wrote:  
(18-04-2012 10:12 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  You make it sound like atheists are hunted for sport and mounted on the walls...

Well, in our neck of the woods, there is the annual atheist fry. Lots of balloons, rides, kids enjoy it, you know? Chase
Oh yeah!

I completely forgot about it.

Where are they holding it? I can't remember. Is it in Ponchatoula or Slidell?

Also, you going this year?

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
18-04-2012, 11:41 AM
(18-04-2012 11:37 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(18-04-2012 11:09 AM)Egor Wrote:  Well, in our neck of the woods, there is the annual atheist fry. Lots of balloons, rides, kids enjoy it, you know? Chase
Oh yeah!

I got a nice note from them saying they'd like to have me for dinner. Now I'm not sure what to think.

[Image: rSJ3y4]
[+] 1 user Likes whateverist's post
18-04-2012, 02:06 PM
(18-04-2012 11:41 AM)whateverist Wrote:  
(18-04-2012 11:37 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  Oh yeah!

I got a nice note from them saying they'd like to have me for dinner. Now I'm not sure what to think.

It's a cookbook! Big Grin

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
18-04-2012, 08:07 PM
RE: On the other hand, ...
(18-04-2012 11:01 AM)germanyt Wrote:  
(18-04-2012 10:13 AM)Dom Wrote:  I don't think so, we are not the ones modelling our lives after 2000 year old fairy tales and talking to imaginary friends.

But we are still a minority lviing in a democracy full of people who would ban us if they could.
Logically, we have nothing to defend - we aren't making the claim.

Practically, I carry a Sig, and two extra magazines.

(18-04-2012 10:55 AM)Glaucus Wrote:  Thanks! I'll try to get some video, but no guarantees.

The purpose of the event is to help clear up some of the misinformation about atheism and allow people to discuss religion openly, in a critical manner. So in that sense, there is a huge position to defend because we've stayed quiet for so long we've allowed myths and legends about us to be seen as fact (aren't we on par with rapists somewhere?). I guess what I want to get out of this is to show people that religion shouldn't be a taboo subject for discussion.

The only positions to defend are that the evidence against the existence of gods is stronger than the evidence for,
and that you have the same right to disbelieve in gods as they have to believe.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
18-04-2012, 08:33 PM
(17-04-2012 09:28 PM)publius2k4 Wrote:  Quite an amazing idea.....That'll never happen here in the deep south....that would be a shot below the (bible) belt lol
You make it sound like atheists are hunted for sport and mounted on the walls...

Just in Mississippi and Alabama. It's legal there.

The old gods are dead, let's invent some new ones before something really bad happens.
19-04-2012, 08:36 PM
So the event went off without a hitch, though I wasn't able to get any footage. We had a few people stop by and assert that god was real/had been proven (one girl was disappointed to learn that covering a body in wax doesn't count as a miraculous, unable to explain, proof that God preserved the body of a saint through super-natural means).

There wasn't much confrontation, even though we did have a few believers stop by and question why we were "herding cats". I wasn't too surprised about the number of "Nones" on campus because it is a science & engineering school, but a lot of them thought about starting the club but didn't out of fear of being alone in their disbelief. Though, the most astounding thing was the number of faculty members who thanked us for starting the organization, some were even disappointed that we already had a faculty advisor. I think a lot of them were disappointed at the 11 christian organizations on campus without any real opposition and were excited to see the students start to organize against them.

Overall, it was nice. A lot of meaningful philosophical debate (even with some Pastafarians), and more public support than I could have hoped for. It really showed how badly people desire a secular movement.

Of all the ideas put forth by science, it is the principle of Superposition that can undo any power of the gods. For the accumulation of smaller actions has the ability to create, destroy, and move the world.

"I am the master of my fate, I am the captain of my soul." -W. E. Henley
21-04-2012, 01:55 PM
In some places I would imagine it would be like that. Luckily, I live in a mild part of Texas.

Bury me with my guns on, so when I reach the other side - I can show him what it feels like to die.
Bury me with my guns on, so when I'm cast out of the sky, I can shoot the devil right between the eyes.