Ask an Economist

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-06-2013, 05:31 PM
RE: Ask an Economist
It's all a load of bolox.

Well that's my addition to this thread thank you goodbye.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Magoo's post
26-06-2013, 05:35 PM
Lol Magoo

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
17-07-2013, 11:30 AM
Do you know why our current system is unsustainable?
17-07-2013, 11:35 AM
(17-07-2013 11:30 AM)Koolay Wrote:  Do you know why our current system is unsustainable?

Lack of enforced regulation.

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]
19-07-2013, 04:39 PM
Are human needs really infinite? How do we know it just isn't marketing and advertising employees brainwashing us into new needs, because the spice ...erm, the currency must flow?
26-07-2013, 01:33 PM
I love economic theories. I detest our system of allocating real and fluid resources. The system with the best chance of fostering an equitable society is, in my opinion, Participatory Economics.

Are you familiar with parecon, or any of Michael Albert or Robin Hahnel's work? If so, are you also familiar with any convincing criticisms of parecon?

WWMWAZSKDTVQHTMJD?
[+] 1 user Likes I Am's post
28-07-2013, 07:28 AM
(26-07-2013 01:33 PM)I Am Wrote:  I love economic theories. I detest our system of allocating real and fluid resources. The system with the best chance of fostering an equitable society is, in my opinion, Participatory Economics.

Are you familiar with parecon, or any of Michael Albert or Robin Hahnel's work? If so, are you also familiar with any convincing criticisms of parecon?

Why do you think we should live in an equal society?
Not everyone is equal.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
28-07-2013, 08:12 AM
(28-07-2013 07:28 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  Why do you think we should live in an equal society?
Not everyone is equal.

What kind of equality are we talking about here?

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]
28-07-2013, 03:18 PM
(28-07-2013 07:28 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  
(26-07-2013 01:33 PM)I Am Wrote:  I love economic theories. I detest our system of allocating real and fluid resources. The system with the best chance of fostering an equitable society is, in my opinion, Participatory Economics.

Why do you think we should live in an equal society?
Not everyone is equal.

Equity as a principle means something more like "fairness", not identical divisions.

I favor distributing tasks and social products according to some basic principles. Those principles may not be ones you hold, in which case we will disagree on how those things should be distributed.

The principles I hold, and Albert and Hahnel discuss at length, are briefly:

Fairness (equity). I prefer to interact with systems that promote fair outcomes. Think about a sport - if one team begins a game with dramatically disproportionate advantages, is the game going to be one we want to play? Would the inevitable winner have received the trophy justly?

Cooperative support (solidarity). I believe that systems which promote people helping and supporting each other are better than ones that promote people undercutting and dominating each other.

Diversity. I'm not just talking about racial or cultural diversity here, though those are important. I mean very simple diversity, like news from many sources instead of almost all from Rupert Murdoch. Or, like doing a variety of different tasks at work, rather than doing the same task a thousand times on an assembly line. Diversity is better than monotony.

Self-direction. It's better when informed, capable people decide amongst themselves what to do and how to do it, than it is when people deprived of relevant information and practice in decision making take orders from a tiny cadre of disproportionately empowered people upstream in a hierarchy.

Efficiency. This is an important one to think about carefully. Wasting valuable resources, and/or working toward non-valuable goals, destroys potential. In 2005, $271 billion was spent on advertising in the US. Why? Because lots of what we produced was stuff no one needs, and we then needed to artificially create wants in order to coerce distribution of those products. Those dollars could have been spent on something socially valuable, like education or research. How would our country be different in 2013 if in 2005 we had spent an extra hundred billion on education, and another hundred billion on research, and tossed seventy billion into national infrastructure? And we would still have had a cool BILLION to use on anything we thought worthwhile. Instead, that money was spent selling (and MILLIONS of hours were spent producing) sugary drinks, cancer sticks, hair loss drugs, etc.

Fairness, cooperative support, diversity, self-direction, and efficiency. An economy built on these principles will be better overall. It still won't be perfect of course, but it cannot help but be better than our current system, in my opinion.

Like I said, you may not hold these principles. If you don't, then we disagree. That's fine.

WWMWAZSKDTVQHTMJD?
28-07-2013, 03:27 PM
(28-07-2013 08:12 AM)Logica Humano Wrote:  
(28-07-2013 07:28 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  Why do you think we should live in an equal society?
Not everyone is equal.

What kind of equality are we talking about here?

That's an important question. Hopefully I've begun to address it my previous response. There's lots more to be said about equality and inequality, of course. I need to do other things right now, but I will write more later. If you have some specific questions, I'll be happy to do my best with them. If not, I'll just ramble on about it for a while. :-)

WWMWAZSKDTVQHTMJD?