Ask an Old Fart.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-10-2013, 03:29 PM
RE: Ask an Old Fart.
(04-10-2013 03:16 PM)Mr Woof Wrote:  I was around in the fifties and sixties, even the fortiesSadcryface

I am wondering if any members would like to discuss 50s/6os issues as they may pertain to the fast approaching 2014. Such, I imagine, could be controversial.
My background has involved sociology, psychology, and philosophy.
Also, I might add, I am a recovering alcoholic and addict..............

As I was "around" during the same time as you (the beginnings of rock (Big Bopper); Milton Berle show; The <real> Lone Ranger in black and white; 3 channel Philco TVs with 12" screen; many great radio shows (including Amos and Andy); the original transistor radios (AM only); popping corn in a real corn popper over a real fire; residential coal heating was an upgrade; parents who'd actually lived during and through the Depression; non-electric irons; real paper comic books; 8oz bottles of Coke; and so very much more). I am a 'Nam vet; commission sales, then IT for 40 years.....etc!

"People don't go to heaven when they die; they're taken to a special room and burned!" Evil_monster
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes RaisdCath's post
06-10-2013, 03:41 PM
(06-10-2013 03:29 PM)RaisdCath Wrote:  
(04-10-2013 03:16 PM)Mr Woof Wrote:  I was around in the fifties and sixties, even the fortiesSadcryface

I am wondering if any members would like to discuss 50s/6os issues as they may pertain to the fast approaching 2014. Such, I imagine, could be controversial.
My background has involved sociology, psychology, and philosophy.
Also, I might add, I am a recovering alcoholic and addict..............

As I was "around" during the same time as you (the beginnings of rock (Big Bopper); Milton Berle show; The <real> Lone Ranger in black and white; 3 channel Philco TVs with 12" screen; many great radio shows (including Amos and Andy); the original transistor radios (AM only); popping corn in a real corn popper over a real fire; residential coal heating was an upgrade; parents who'd actually lived during and through the Depression; non-electric irons; real paper comic books; 8oz bottles of Coke; and so very much more). I am a 'Nam vet; commission sales, then IT for 40 years.....etc!
Don't forget the ice man........no fridges then!
[+] 1 user Likes Mr Woof's post
06-10-2013, 06:59 PM
The "green" folk today always blame us for all the waste - bah. We went to the dairy store daily to get freshly cut cheese wrapped in paper and our milk bottle refilled from a barrel of milk. Or, the dairy man delivered, picked up the old bottle and replaced it.

Nothing was wrapped in plastic. There was little trash you couldn't compost. All bottles were returned to the brewery or whatever and cleaned and used again. There were no soda cans. You could buy some food in cans, but mostly people canned at home. Once a year the potato man drove by and took orders for the year. You stored a year's worth of potatoes in a huge bin in the basement. Three times a week the veggie lady came by - she stopped a couple times per block and rang a big bell. People came out and bought their veggies and fruit. The baker delivered bread still hot from the oven and rolls and such.

There was barely any waste at all. It certainly wasn't my generation that created that mess.

And yes, I remember getting my first transistor radio. I saved up for it, and dad had forbidden it because nobody could tell what my ears would be exposed to. So I had to listen to the few available stations in secret.

Tongue

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
06-10-2013, 11:15 PM
(06-10-2013 01:28 AM)DLJ Wrote:  I have some questions for the Old Fart...

1. What did you do that was so bad?
2. Were you a snatch-purse, a poacher or just a common prostitute?
3. What were your first impressions of Van Diemen's Land?

Tongue

(1)' We have all sinned and come short of the glory of God'.

(2) Nah, none of those, though I lived with a pro for a while in the early 60s.....s.s. too!

(3) Heavy drinkers; met my first wife there.
06-10-2013, 11:24 PM
(06-10-2013 06:59 PM)Dom Wrote:  The "green" folk today always blame us for all the waste - bah. We went to the dairy store daily to get freshly cut cheese wrapped in paper and our milk bottle refilled from a barrel of milk. Or, the dairy man delivered, picked up the old bottle and replaced it.

Nothing was wrapped in plastic. There was little trash you couldn't compost. All bottles were returned to the brewery or whatever and cleaned and used again. There were no soda cans. You could buy some food in cans, but mostly people canned at home. Once a year the potato man drove by and took orders for the year. You stored a year's worth of potatoes in a huge bin in the basement. Three times a week the veggie lady came by - she stopped a couple times per block and rang a big bell. People came out and bought their veggies and fruit. The baker delivered bread still hot from the oven and rolls and such.

There was barely any waste at all. It certainly wasn't my generation that created that mess.

And yes, I remember getting my first transistor radio. I saved up for it, and dad had forbidden it because nobody could tell what my ears would be exposed to. So I had to listen to the few available stations in secret.

Tongue
I remember when T.V. first started in Melbourne,56, the year we had the Olympic Games. Peeps would visit furniture shops at night to watch it through the windows.
No booze buses in the sixties, and street drugs were pretty limited. I think the benzos, which replaced barbiturates, were developed round that time..
Not sure how much better things are now? As the old song goes about the good old days "being better then" it goes on to say 20 years down the track the peeps will be saying exactly the same thing.
[+] 1 user Likes Mr Woof's post
07-10-2013, 08:13 AM
There is more "stuff" available now, but somehow I think we were more satisfied then.

The good ol days - it is human to more or less delete bad feelings over time. They don't come up in our thoughts unless a similar thing happens.

This is a good thing, who wants to be aware of a life time's worth of negative items all the time.

So, times always look a lot better in retrospect.

Goes back to the saying: Youth is wasted on youth. Many of us waste our youth on drama. Thankfully as we age all that drama becomes so trivial and superfluous that we tend to forget why or whether we were even upset at all. Even teenagers see this when they look at children, and young adults see it when they look at teenagers, but regardless of age we never see it about the present.

The really good part of life, IMO, comes when you do see the irony of this and there is no drama anymore. You couldn't pay me to be young again...

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
07-10-2013, 04:03 PM
(07-10-2013 08:13 AM)Dom Wrote:  There is more "stuff" available now, but somehow I think we were more satisfied then.

The good ol days - it is human to more or less delete bad feelings over time. They don't come up in our thoughts unless a similar thing happens.

This is a good thing, who wants to be aware of a life time's worth of negative items all the time.

So, times always look a lot better in retrospect.

Goes back to the saying: Youth is wasted on youth. Many of us waste our youth on drama. Thankfully as we age all that drama becomes so trivial and superfluous that we tend to forget why or whether we were even upset at all. Even teenagers see this when they look at children, and young adults see it when they look at teenagers, but regardless of age we never see it about the present.

The really good part of life, IMO, comes when you do see the irony of this and there is no drama anymore. You couldn't pay me to be young again...

Well it's Seniors Festival week here in the world's most liveable city and the old peeps are enjoying the free public transport and various entertainments.
Took Mrs Woof to see Casablanca with Humphrey Bogart yesterday for a cheap $5.
Thursday we will be watching Gone With the Wind, vintage 1939.
I don't enjoy a lot of the movies being produced these days, though there are exceptions, and some of the French are pretty good.

P.S. You must be getting on a bit Dom!Big Grin
07-10-2013, 04:21 PM
(07-10-2013 04:03 PM)Mr Woof Wrote:  P.S. You must be getting on a bit Dom!Big Grin

Naw, I'm just wise beyond my years ! Big Grin

07-10-2013, 07:38 PM
What did you do for entertainment as a kid?
How was your life growing up as an adolescent, and what did you do throughout your teen years?
What was your first, young love like, and how did it end?

(03-09-2014 09:12 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Ferdy is a female with testosterone levels that wouldn't surprise me if her clit was bigger than GirlyMan's little limp dick. And Hughsie thinks he's male but his fatass hasn't seen his pecker in years.
08-10-2013, 12:07 AM
Hi Ferdi..
As a kid we played hidey,tiggy, pushed the billy carts, cowboys and indians, and kicked the footy around.Smile

:Life as an adolescent not too good; raised by mother and grandmother in a highly dysfunctional manner. Left home at about 16.

:Early teen romances were not too serious, in keeping with immaturity, particularly mine. First marriage at 26.