Ask an Old Fart.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-10-2013, 06:28 PM
RE: Ask an Old Fart.
(09-10-2013 06:19 PM)cheapthrillseaker Wrote:  
(09-10-2013 06:15 PM)Dom Wrote:  Are you sure they were not racy cartoons?

No, it was direct and overt racism. Bugs Bunny's shade of grey went so dark.

We purchased a vintage looney tunes collection to show to the boy. Put it in and both me and my wife looked at each other, jaws dropped. Blackface everywhere.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-10-2013, 06:54 PM
(09-10-2013 06:26 PM)TheGulegon Wrote:  Mr. Woof.
Did every school house built prior to 1970 actually require students to walk uphill, in the snow, even in summer time, to and from home, to reach, or was my father bullshitting me?
Tongue

Damn that's a good question. Peeps wanna know.

Be truthful now.

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
09-10-2013, 07:23 PM
(09-10-2013 06:28 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(09-10-2013 06:19 PM)cheapthrillseaker Wrote:  No, it was direct and overt racism. Bugs Bunny's shade of grey went so dark.

We purchased a vintage looney tunes collection to show to the boy. Put it in and both me and my wife looked at each other, jaws dropped. Blackface everywhere.

Hah, I am a cartoon ignoramus. Never watched them... there are plenty of old racist movies too though. Well, there is slavery in US history and it is reflected in the culture. This is like Germany and Nazis in a way - when I grew up everything Nazi was taboo, we hardly even touched on it in history class. I suppose if no one talks about it, it just doesn't exist. Tongue Takes a long time for people to gain enough distance to consider it history.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
09-10-2013, 07:59 PM
(09-10-2013 07:23 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(09-10-2013 06:28 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  We purchased a vintage looney tunes collection to show to the boy. Put it in and both me and my wife looked at each other, jaws dropped. Blackface everywhere.

Hah, I am a cartoon ignoramus. Never watched them... there are plenty of old racist movies too though. Well, there is slavery in US history and it is reflected in the culture. This is like Germany and Nazis in a way - when I grew up everything Nazi was taboo, we hardly even touched on it in history class. I suppose if no one talks about it, it just doesn't exist. Tongue Takes a long time for people to gain enough distance to consider it history.

Just go to YouTube and search for racist cartoons. They're out there.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
10-10-2013, 12:58 AM
Did every school house built prior to 1970 actually require students to walk uphill, in the snow, even in summer time, to and from home, to reach, or was my father bullshitting me?
Tongue

Well we did get to walk back home down hill.
Not much snow where I come from!Wink
10-10-2013, 01:02 AM
(09-10-2013 04:43 PM)Ferdinand Wrote:  
(09-10-2013 03:06 PM)Dom Wrote:  That's a good one!

Man, I want to go to an old fart festival. Sad

Need to wait about 50 years, only 5 for DLJ.......
[+] 1 user Likes Mr Woof's post
10-10-2013, 02:57 AM
Why do are old people adverse to a wide range of music.
I'm old 42. And I see art in any music format. From screaming death metal. Banjo ,folk hiphop to classical.

Most of my peers are hungup on retro 70s 80s. I don't know a single person over 50 that is tolerant of modern music .

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
10-10-2013, 03:53 AM
(09-10-2013 04:43 PM)Ferdinand Wrote:  
(09-10-2013 03:06 PM)Dom Wrote:  That's a good one!

Man, I want to go to an old fart festival. Sad

Now, now, dear. When you're a little older.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
10-10-2013, 03:55 AM
Tongue

Your father is almost right. It was prior to 1968. Yes

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-10-2013, 05:38 AM
(10-10-2013 02:57 AM)sporehux Wrote:  Why do are old people adverse to a wide range of music.
I'm old 42. And I see art in any music format. From screaming death metal. Banjo ,folk hiphop to classical.

Most of my peers are hungup on retro 70s 80s. I don't know a single person over 50 that is tolerant of modern music .

I like all kinds of music. Old, new, doesn't matter. Just has to hit the spot...

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post