Ask meh!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-03-2014, 02:54 AM
RE: Ask meh!
(12-03-2014 02:50 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(12-03-2014 02:46 AM)Charis Wrote:  I can't guarantee that I'll have a good answer for you, but I'll try.

Oh dear, I fear you have become tainted Tongue The proper theistic response is "I have the BEST POSSIBLE answer for you and it's written backwards in Cyrillic on this 4000 year old McDonalds menu".
Rofl! I've rarely claimed to have the best possible answer, even as a christian. In fact, during street evangelism, I was often a person who would cool down a heated argument between another christian and non-christian. Granted, there were times when I was delirious from lack of sleep and should not have been out there in the first place, as I acted like an absolute twat, but I guess we all have our moments.

edited to acknowledge that I probably shouldn't have been out there regardless...
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Charis's post
12-03-2014, 03:01 AM
Say that you were laying in bed one Saturday morning thinking things through and something made you think "Gee wizz! That means there's no god"

What would be your biggest fear (if any)?
[+] 1 user Likes Mathilda's post
12-03-2014, 03:05 AM
(12-03-2014 03:01 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  Say that you were laying in bed one Saturday morning thinking things through and something made you think "Gee wizz! That means there's no god"

That I had reasoned incorrectly and come to the wrong conclusion as a result.
I'm far from immune to coming to the wrong conclusion or considering facts incorrectly and stuff like that. I'm human and I'm autistic so I think a little differently by default anyway. So my biggest fear would be,"I saw this piece of information and came to the conclusion that there was no god... when there actually WAS, and I would have understood that if I had seen THIS piece of information, or not forgotten this or this..."
12-03-2014, 03:15 AM
(12-03-2014 03:05 AM)Charis Wrote:  
(12-03-2014 03:01 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  Say that you were laying in bed one Saturday morning thinking things through and something made you think "Gee wizz! That means there's no god"

That I had reasoned incorrectly and come to the wrong conclusion as a result.
I'm far from immune to coming to the wrong conclusion or considering facts incorrectly and stuff like that. I'm human and I'm autistic so I think a little differently by default anyway. So my biggest fear would be,"I saw this piece of information and came to the conclusion that there was no god... when there actually WAS, and I would have understood that if I had seen THIS piece of information, or not forgotten this or this..."

Do you think the fear would stem from a lack of self-esteem and a lack of confidence in your ability to reason?

Or would it stem from an aversion to being wrong?

Regardless of the answer, I can say constantly questioning yourself and your conclusions is a very good thing to do and this bodes well for your critical thinking skills. Every scientist needs to question their hypotheses and conclusion on a continual basis in case they waste months of their time or end up standing in front of their peers and make a fool of themselves.
[+] 1 user Likes Mathilda's post
12-03-2014, 03:21 AM
(12-03-2014 03:15 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  
(12-03-2014 03:05 AM)Charis Wrote:  That I had reasoned incorrectly and come to the wrong conclusion as a result.

Do you think the fear would stem from a lack of self-esteem and a lack of confidence in your ability to reason?

Or would it stem from an aversion to being wrong?

Regardless of the answer, I can say constantly questioning yourself and your conclusions is a very good thing to do and this bodes well for your critical thinking skills. Every scientist needs to question their hypotheses and conclusion on a continual basis in case they waste months of their time or end up standing in front of their peers and make a fool of themselves.

I think it would be a combination of both. I have horrible self esteem and lack of confidence in almost everything I do.

I also don't like being wrong, but not in the sense that I would be stubborn and insist on a certain conclusion just to say I'm right. I'm more afraid of the consequences of being wrong in most situations. This often leads me to VEEERRRRRYYYY LOOOOONNNNG periods of deliberation over an issue, weighing every pro and con. Granted, this can be a good or a bad thing depending on the situation, and it sometimes frustrates people who want a snappy decision.

And thank you for your second part. <3
12-03-2014, 03:45 AM
Going to bed soon, so don't be surprised when I stop replying for now.
12-03-2014, 04:25 AM
My father has undiagnosed aspergers, and so does my uncle. They were both fine engineers before they retired, albeit very slow ones. I had always assumed that was because they were methodical Germans. I can also suffer from a lack of self-esteem and confidence, particularly when it comes to competing against other people. I have more confidence when it's just me alone with my own brain though because I use methods of reasoning which have proved successful in the past.

Next question, and apologies in advance if I fall flat on my face with this one.

Do you think that your autistic spectrum disorder may have heavily skewed what you accepted as true in because you have difficulty determining the motives of people when they present something to you as fact?

This would lead you to adding too much weight to evidence because you had not taken into account the reliability of the source.
[+] 4 users Like Mathilda's post
12-03-2014, 04:34 AM (This post was last modified: 12-03-2014 04:39 AM by Charis.)
(12-03-2014 04:25 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  My father has undiagnosed aspergers, and so does my uncle. They were both fine engineers before they retired, albeit very slow ones. I had always assumed that was because they were methodical Germans. I can also suffer from a lack of self-esteem and confidence, particularly when it comes to competing against other people. I have more confidence when it's just me alone with my own brain though because I use methods of reasoning which have proved successful in the past.

Next question, and apologies in advance if I fall flat on my face with this one.

Do you think that your autistic spectrum disorder may have heavily skewed what you accepted as true in because you have difficulty determining the motives of people when they present something to you as fact?

This would lead you to adding too much weight to evidence because you had not taken into account the reliability of the source.

I have been diagnosed with moderate autism. I don't doubt that it has had some impact, though I couldn't pinpoint exactly where (since whatever weaknesses in that regard which were there then are there now as well). However, there was a certain way that the information was presented and in so many different formats that mistakes regarding what they intended to convey would have been difficult to make. But yes I have always had difficulty determining a person's actual motives, especially in person. Written format is usually much easier for me to navigate.

I'm also very impressionable and easily dominated emotionally (I know it may come as a surprise that I am NOT being sexual at the moment). Looking back, in my opinion I was a prime candidate for manipulation, brainwashing and the subsequent gaslighting. Unfortunately, I am now even more so because now I have some nice trauma to put on top of all this. So right now, I am avoiding church environments so that I can make up my own mind without some church administrator pulling rank in some way and telling me what to think, threatening me with eternal fire and otherwise impairing my ability to think clearly or think at all beyond what is permitted.

I'm probably not making much sense. And no, you did not fall on your face. Tongue
12-03-2014, 05:37 AM
(12-03-2014 04:34 AM)Charis Wrote:  I'm probably not making much sense.

You make perfect sense. I do not come from a religious family and only ever had a vague sense of some sort of Christian god which, once I started thinking about it and reading up (including the bible) it was pretty easy to shake off. Your posts are really interesting as you tell it from the perspective of someone who is not finding this process easy, so they are very illuminating. Thumbsup

"The person who is certain, and who claims divine warrant for his certainty, belongs now to the infancy of our species." - Christopher Hitchens

"Remember kids, if you don't sin, then Jesus died for nothing. Have a great day!" - Ricky Gervais
[+] 2 users Like Eva's post
12-03-2014, 06:11 AM
are most baptists YEC'ers? Or is just the fundamentalist baptists?

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller