Ask some questions about evolution here.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-10-2015, 07:26 PM
RE: Ask some questions about evolution here.
When should I expect my tail to fall off?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-10-2015, 07:28 PM
(02-10-2015 07:12 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Have you ever seen a cat turn into a dog ?

Lol. Bucky, my cat thinks he's a dog. Tongue Damned, crazy cat chases dogs down the street. Laugh out load

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
02-10-2015, 07:31 PM
Ask some questions about evolution here.
Not sure if this is evolution per se, so ignore if not.

Is there anything that can be done about homozygosity?
02-10-2015, 07:34 PM
(02-10-2015 07:31 PM)Clockwork Wrote:  Not sure if this is evolution per se, so ignore if not.

No. They're born that way.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
02-10-2015, 07:46 PM
(02-10-2015 07:34 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(02-10-2015 07:31 PM)Clockwork Wrote:  Not sure if this is evolution per se, so ignore if not.

No. They're born that way.
Oh, you!

I knew a molecular biologist who was explaining it to me. I wish I had kept in contact.

Basically, homozygosity is a sign that a species is headed for extinction. The genes don't have as much info to mix. I wish I could explain it better.
02-10-2015, 07:54 PM
(02-10-2015 06:56 PM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  
(02-10-2015 06:09 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  So alleles are NOT genes? This is a dumb question. Blush Where are they located?

Specific parts of a gene.

No, not really. An allele is a variant form of a gene.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
02-10-2015, 10:05 PM
(02-10-2015 07:12 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Have you ever seen a cat turn into a dog ?

No, but i have seen a dogbear

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
[+] 2 users Like Metazoa Zeke's post
02-10-2015, 10:08 PM
(02-10-2015 07:26 PM)pablo Wrote:  When should I expect my tail to fall off?

The monkey tail fell off with proconsul 23MYA

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
[+] 2 users Like Metazoa Zeke's post
03-10-2015, 07:37 PM
(03-10-2015 07:27 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(02-10-2015 10:18 PM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  Change is a better word for advancement. Modern sloths are less advance to prehistoric sloths.

Depends. Hyenas and lions are in the same niche, but are not to the point of destruction, yet some animals have gone extinct via other animals. Again it depends.

This is not a question about evolution.

Can you list some beneficial mutations. I was reading an online argument (one could hardly call it a debate) between a religious nut an atheist. The theist was stating that there are no beneficial mutations. That sounded stupid to me, I mean, why wouldn't there be beneficial mutations.

Another dumb but curious question. Do each of us carry mutations of one sort and another?

It's an argument against "macro" evolution to say only changes of mutations are insignificant like skin/eye/hair color, size, etc. or that mutations that occur are just oddities so evolution didn't progress from that. Like idk, someone with a 6th finger yet there are types of evolutionary mutations that effect people in ways that are beneficial all the time. Some people, have different resistances to diseases or even odd mutations of "superhero" like pain resistance or other weird developments are found with people due to their genes.

It's just a thing that gets stated in debates because it's easy to say and sound like you have evidence when really it's a calculated point.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
03-10-2015, 07:41 PM
(03-10-2015 07:27 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Can you list some beneficial mutations. I was reading an online argument (one could hardly call it a debate) between a religious nut an atheist. The theist was stating that there are no beneficial mutations. That sounded stupid to me, I mean, why wouldn't there be beneficial mutations.

Not Meta-Z but I'll chip in some info.

One of the problems, I believe, is that the words 'beneficial' are kind of nebulous.

I mean... some mutation happening that of course kills the developing young/fetus is obviously labeled 'Bad'.... but what if the mutation manifests after the new life gets old enough to breed and hence 'pass on' said mutation.. yeah, it kills the owner... but still gets passed on.... Consider

The other problem is... what is 'Good'? There are some women who have a mutation that gives them four colour receptors in their eyes.... They can literally see more colours than all the other humans born with just the standard three.

Is this a 'benefit'? Consider

Or "Multi-polidactery". There are occasionally children born not just with 'extra', tacked on digits... but the mechanism for forming digits within development gets it so 'right' that their one extra finger (Not sure if it happens with thumbs, but it might) is perfectly functional and useful.

Is having an extra finger a benefit? How about an extra thumb?

If enough people were in a life style where climbing/gripping/ etc were 'required'... then maybe an extra thumb mutation would be selected for (Like Koalas) ?

Sickle cell anemia... it'a not a good mutation... but it doesn't kill you (Well.. maybe it does, but slowly) however malaria parasites can't co-opt such cells and so, in a way, the mutation provides a form of "Inherited" immunity to the malaria parasite (Maybe be kind of wrong about this one... Meta-Z will explain better/more)

(03-10-2015 07:27 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Another dumb but curious question. Do each of us carry mutations of one sort and another?

Pretty sure the answer is "Yes". though the where and the when and the how? Meta-Z will know better.

Big Grin

Hope the ideas help. Smile