Ask some questions about evolution here.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-10-2015, 04:40 AM
RE: Ask some questions about evolution here.
... and also...

Regarding how our environment changed think on this...

Do we like honey because it's sweet?

Or

Is it sweet because we like it?

Consider

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
06-10-2015, 04:52 AM
(06-10-2015 04:40 AM)DLJ Wrote:  ... and also...

Or

Consider

Both.

We adapted to find it's flavor (how our brains register it's chemical composition) as pleasurable, because the sugar's in honey are a great source of energy.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
06-10-2015, 04:54 AM
(06-10-2015 04:52 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(06-10-2015 04:40 AM)DLJ Wrote:  ... and also...

Or

Consider

Both.

We adapted to find it's flavor (how our brains register it's chemical composition) as pleasurable, because the sugar's in honey are a great source of energy.

You weren't supposed to give her the answer so quickly!

Undecided

06-10-2015, 06:01 AM
(06-10-2015 04:54 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(06-10-2015 04:52 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Both.

You weren't supposed to give her the answer so quickly!

Undecided

Sorry, my best friend/co-worker is a biochem major and we talk about this stuff to pass the time at work.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
06-10-2015, 08:57 AM
(05-10-2015 09:43 PM)DLJ Wrote:  
(05-10-2015 09:32 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Oh, and Chas, you said in another thread that natural selection is not chance. What do you mean by this? It seems to me that the whole process is a haphazard chance. What am I missing here? The environment pressure that is placed on each species is by chance.

This confuses me. Huh......Hobo.........Big Grin

Think about this ... do you think that environmental pressures are random?

Or did they also evolve (in the colloquial sense) i.e. change over time?

A process (any process) is simply a defined mechanism usually involving a series of inputs, activities/actions and outputs. 'Chance' is not part of that equation.

Here's Dawkins' Mount Improbable:
[Image: tumblr_inline_mwk1qzluSr1qgfyua.png]

Evolution is slow (very slow) change over time ... the gently slope.

Creationists would have us thinking that evolution is saying that we jump to the top of the cliff when they talk about things happening by chance ... for example, 'irreducible complexity' pretty much claims that the gentle slope does not / can not exist.

The irony being that a creationist is actually saying that their god lifted us to the top of the cliff my magic.

There again, I suppose one could fall off the cliff by chance ... that chance gust of wind (or a meteor wiping out the dinosaurs) but even that could be argued to be 'not chance' if one has a purely deterministic worldview.

Big Grin

Hummmm. I guess the "chance" I'm thinking of is mutations but I totally understand the enormous length of time.

A few years ago I was reading an Amazon book discussion on evolution and a biologist was trying to help someone understand the length of time needed for change. She described it as a 100 gallon vat of blue paint and once a year a small drop of red paint was dropped into the vat. Over many years of one drop of red paint at a time the blue vat of paint would become purple and then over many more years eventually red but there would still be vestiges of blue pigments. I liked that analogy though it doesn't explain how the drop of paint is put into the vat.

In high school biology class the teacher DID teach evolution but I was in the back of the class sitting next to the captain of the football team. Drooling I was vaguely aware of being in a classroom and even less of what was being taught especially when he started paying attention to me and passing me notes. To hell with evolution, this is much more important! Laugh out load

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
06-10-2015, 09:00 AM
(06-10-2015 08:57 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(05-10-2015 09:43 PM)DLJ Wrote:  Think about this ... do you think that environmental pressures are random?

Or did they also evolve (in the colloquial sense) i.e. change over time?

A process (any process) is simply a defined mechanism usually involving a series of inputs, activities/actions and outputs. 'Chance' is not part of that equation.

Here's Dawkins' Mount Improbable:
[Image: tumblr_inline_mwk1qzluSr1qgfyua.png]

Evolution is slow (very slow) change over time ... the gently slope.

Creationists would have us thinking that evolution is saying that we jump to the top of the cliff when they talk about things happening by chance ... for example, 'irreducible complexity' pretty much claims that the gentle slope does not / can not exist.

The irony being that a creationist is actually saying that their god lifted us to the top of the cliff my magic.

There again, I suppose one could fall off the cliff by chance ... that chance gust of wind (or a meteor wiping out the dinosaurs) but even that could be argued to be 'not chance' if one has a purely deterministic worldview.

Big Grin

Hummmm. I guess the "chance" I'm thinking of is mutations but I totally understand the enormous length of time.

A few years ago I was reading an Amazon book discussion on evolution and a biologist was trying to help someone understand the length of time needed for change. She described it as a 100 gallon vat of blue paint and once a year a small drop of red paint was dropped into the vat. Over many years of one drop of red paint at a time the blue vat of paint would become purple and then over many more years eventually red but there would still be vestiges of blue pigments. I liked that analogy though it doesn't explain how the drop of paint is put into the vat.

In high school biology class the teacher DID teach evolution but I was in the back of the class sitting next to the captain of the football team. Drooling I was vaguely aware of being in a classroom and even less of what was being taught especially when he started paying attention to me and passing me notes. To hell with evolution, this is much more important! Laugh out load

That is natural 二

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
06-10-2015, 09:11 AM
(06-10-2015 09:00 AM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  
(06-10-2015 08:57 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Hummmm. I guess the "chance" I'm thinking of is mutations but I totally understand the enormous length of time.

That is natural 二

Yes! I was a shy skinny girl so when the high school quaterback/captain of the football team actually paid attention to me I was very flattered. After the semester was over he never even looked at me again. The bastard. I barely passed the class because of him.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
06-10-2015, 09:18 AM
(06-10-2015 09:11 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(06-10-2015 09:00 AM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  That is natural 二

Yes! I was a shy skinny girl so when the high school quaterback/captain of the football team actually paid attention to me I was very flattered. After the semester was over he never even looked at me again. The bastard. I barely passed the class because of him.

Don't worry i too was rejected in high school.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
06-10-2015, 09:55 AM
(06-10-2015 08:57 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  ...
She described it as a 100 gallon vat of blue paint and once a year a small drop of red paint was dropped into the vat. Over many years of one drop of red paint at a time the blue vat of paint would become purple and then over many more years eventually red but there would still be vestiges of blue pigments. I liked that analogy though it doesn't explain how the drop of paint is put into the vat.

Explanation: Sex.

It's always about sex.

... except sex... which is about power.
(nod to Oscar)

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
06-10-2015, 10:31 AM
(06-10-2015 09:55 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
She described it as a 100 gallon vat of blue paint and once a year a small drop of red paint was dropped into the vat. Over many years of one drop of red paint at a time the blue vat of paint would become purple and then over many more years eventually red but there would still be vestiges of blue pigments. I liked that analogy though it doesn't explain how the drop of paint is put into the vat.

It's always about sex.

... except sex... which is about power.
(nod to Oscar)

if you don't know DLJ was in our skype call