Ask some questions about evolution here.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-10-2015, 10:43 AM
RE: Ask some questions about evolution here.
(06-10-2015 09:55 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(06-10-2015 08:57 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  ...
She described it as a 100 gallon vat of blue paint and once a year a small drop of red paint was dropped into the vat. Over many years of one drop of red paint at a time the blue vat of paint would become purple and then over many more years eventually red but there would still be vestiges of blue pigments. I liked that analogy though it doesn't explain how the drop of paint is put into the vat.

Explanation: Sex.

(06-10-2015 08:57 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  ...
In high school biology class the teacher DID teach evolution but I was in the back of the class sitting next to the captain of the football team. Drooling I was vaguely aware of being in a classroom and even less of what was being taught especially when he started paying attention to me and passing me notes. To hell with evolution, this is much more important! Laugh out load

Explanation: Sex.

It's always about sex.

... except sex... which is about power.
(nod to Oscar)

Quote: (nod to Oscar)

Oscar??....Which Oscar. Oscar Wilde or Oscar the Grouch?

Idea

Oscar Mayer.

Opps, Dodgy derailed thread.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-10-2015, 12:06 PM
When/why did bipedality evolve?

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
06-10-2015, 12:14 PM
(06-10-2015 12:06 PM)Atothetheist Wrote:  When/why did bipedality evolve?

Because of the easiness to spot prey/predators while on the ground.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
06-10-2015, 12:15 PM

Somewhere in the Australopithicine (>2 million years ago) lineage associated (most likely) with climatic change driving floral change in Africa. With a transition from forest dominated ecosystems to grasslands, spacing between trees increased and resulted in our ancestors transitioning to a more ground-based lifestyle (coinciding with the reduction in other climbing features). Bipedality allowed our ancestors to be able to scout for danger, etc. These animals were an in-between the climbing and the full bipedality.

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post
06-10-2015, 02:32 PM (This post was last modified: 06-10-2015 02:42 PM by Free Thought.)
Dear Zeke;

Could you explain the altruistic paradox? And further explain how altruism has become a successful strategy despite it's evolutionarily weird nature.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
06-10-2015, 03:44 PM
(06-10-2015 02:32 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  Dear Zeke;

Could you explain the altruistic paradox? And further explain how altruism has become a successful strategy despite it's evolutionarily weird nature.

The altruistic paradox is the example, of worst things are done with the best intentions. This is a result of alturism in general, because it is still the animal trying to help its group. and alturism isn't weird, as it helps the survival of social animal.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
06-10-2015, 09:54 PM (This post was last modified: 06-10-2015 09:57 PM by Chas.)
(05-10-2015 09:32 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Oh, and Chas, you said in another thread that natural selection is not chance. What do you mean by this? It seems to me that the whole process is a haphazard chance. What am I missing here? The environment pressure that is placed on each species is by chance.

This confuses me. Huh......Hobo.........Big Grin

The key is differential reproductive success, i.e. natural selection.

Mutations are mostly random, though not completely random as some areas of the genome are more susceptible to error than others.

However, only mutations that have no effect (neutral mutations) or those that are advantageous (beneficial mutations) ten to survive in the population since the individuals that have them will be as or more successful than those without.
And the ones that have harmful mutations will be less successful, or dead. Or at least mostly dead. Consider

The good genes will tend to become more common in the population because those that have them produce more offspring than those without.

That is not random; that is the algorithm.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
06-10-2015, 10:01 PM
(06-10-2015 08:57 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(05-10-2015 09:43 PM)DLJ Wrote:  Think about this ... do you think that environmental pressures are random?

Or did they also evolve (in the colloquial sense) i.e. change over time?

A process (any process) is simply a defined mechanism usually involving a series of inputs, activities/actions and outputs. 'Chance' is not part of that equation.

Here's Dawkins' Mount Improbable:
[Image: tumblr_inline_mwk1qzluSr1qgfyua.png]

Evolution is slow (very slow) change over time ... the gently slope.

Creationists would have us thinking that evolution is saying that we jump to the top of the cliff when they talk about things happening by chance ... for example, 'irreducible complexity' pretty much claims that the gentle slope does not / can not exist.

The irony being that a creationist is actually saying that their god lifted us to the top of the cliff my magic.

There again, I suppose one could fall off the cliff by chance ... that chance gust of wind (or a meteor wiping out the dinosaurs) but even that could be argued to be 'not chance' if one has a purely deterministic worldview.

Big Grin

Hummmm. I guess the "chance" I'm thinking of is mutations but I totally understand the enormous length of time.

A few years ago I was reading an Amazon book discussion on evolution and a biologist was trying to help someone understand the length of time needed for change. She described it as a 100 gallon vat of blue paint and once a year a small drop of red paint was dropped into the vat. Over many years of one drop of red paint at a time the blue vat of paint would become purple and then over many more years eventually red but there would still be vestiges of blue pigments. I liked that analogy though it doesn't explain how the drop of paint is put into the vat.

In high school biology class the teacher DID teach evolution but I was in the back of the class sitting next to the captain of the football team. Drooling I was vaguely aware of being in a classroom and even less of what was being taught especially when he started paying attention to me and passing me notes. To hell with evolution, this is much more important! Laugh out load

Well, that's part of evolution - sexual selection. Yes

06-10-2015, 10:02 PM

So they could play volleyball. Drinking Beverage

06-10-2015, 10:04 PM
What about punctuated equilibrium? What can/ does that explain? What evidence is there for it? How does it stack up against gradualism?

(Perhaps a definition and explanation of Punct. E might be included?)

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.