Asked to Pray

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-12-2014, 10:27 AM
Asked to Pray
So I was at a friends for dinner last night. The person hosting is Christian, but has never been pushy about it...until last night. As we sat down to eat (there were eight people there) my friend suggested that I say grace, since it's my birthday. He knows I'm an atheist.

So I said, "sure!", and proceeded to thank the Flying Spaghetti Monster for the wonderful meal (it wasn't spaghetti unfortunately), and ask him to heal an extra amputee or two in honor of my birthday.

Needless to say, our host was not amused. He said a very curt grace and ate his meal in silence.

The pork chops were good, but a little over seasoned. Drinking Beverage

So many cats, so few good recipes.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 28 users Like Stark Raving's post
02-12-2014, 10:34 AM
RE: Asked to Pray
One of these days this is going to happen to me and I am going to do exactly what you did, I only hope I can live up to your most excellent example. Nice job.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
If he specifies praying to God next time then you can perform the Lesser banishing ritual of the pentagram

Quote:... a ceremonial magic ritual devised and used by the original order of the Golden Dawn that has become a mainstay in modern occultism. This ritual is considered by many to be a basic preliminary to any other magical work, so much that it was the only ritual, beside initiation rituals, taught to members of the Golden Dawn before they advanced to the Inner Order
[+] 2 users Like Mathilda's post
i am betting he never makes that mistake again. How did the others react?

love it that you had the balls to go there, I probably would have tried to go for thanking the chef and stopping there.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
02-12-2014, 10:37 AM
Right on! Wish I had it in me to say a prayer to the FSM. Or a prayer to great nothingness. I got asked to say the prayer for a get together a few months ago at my grandparents' house.

I laid it on thick.

Something to the effect of:

Heavenly Father, thank you for the many blessings you have bestowed upon us. Thank you for the gift of your son's sacrifice on the cross for us sinners. Please be with the family that could not join with is today and heal the sick and weary, for you are most gracious. Bless this food and make it nourishment to our bodies and our souls. In your son Jesus Christ's name we humbly pray, Amen.

My husband raised his eyebrow at me.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
[+] 7 users Like Nurse's post
02-12-2014, 10:40 AM
(02-12-2014 10:37 AM)Nurse Wrote:  Right on! Wish I had it in me to say a prayer to the FSM. Or a prayer to great nothingness. I got asked to say the prayer for a get together a few months ago at my grandparents' house.

I laid it on thick.

Something to the effect of:

Heavenly Father, thank you for the many blessings you have bestowed upon us. Thank you for the gift of your son's sacrifice on the cross for us sinners. Please be with the family that could not join with is today and heal the sick and weary, for you are most gracious. Bless this food and make it nourishment to our bodies and our souls. In your son Jesus Christ's name we humbly pray, Amen.

My husband raised his eyebrow at me.

Damn girl. You must order double cream cheese on your bagel, cuz you like it THICK!

[+] 3 users Like Stark Raving's post
02-12-2014, 10:45 AM
(02-12-2014 10:34 AM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  i am betting he never makes that mistake again. How did the others react?

There was a couple of muffled giggles, then after eating in silence for a minute or two someone got the conversation going. The seven of us enjoyed the meal without further drama. A little anti-climactic, but I guess that's how real life stories go.

I doubt I'll be invited back though.

02-12-2014, 10:46 AM
Dear God,

Thank you for initiating the Big Bang and for endowing it with quantum irregularities in the thermodynamic gradients which subsequently led to the self organisation of matter, chemicals, geological activity, biological organisms, Darwinian evolution, ecosystems and socio-political economic systems by which we can perform work in exchange for goods and services, specifically in this case the food on the table.

Amen
[+] 10 users Like Mathilda's post
02-12-2014, 10:47 AM
(02-12-2014 10:45 AM)Stark Raving Wrote:  
(02-12-2014 10:34 AM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  i am betting he never makes that mistake again. How did the others react?

There was a couple of muffled giggles, then after eating in silence for a minute or two someone got the conversation going. The seven of us enjoyed the meal without further drama. A little anti-climactic, but I guess that's how real life stories go.

I doubt I'll be invited back though.

well maybe you will gain a few invites to the homes of the gigglers. Big Grin

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
[+] 2 users Like Bows and Arrows's post
02-12-2014, 10:50 AM
The horror, the horror...over seasoned pork chops! Censored

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume