Asked to Pray

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-12-2014, 10:52 AM
RE: Asked to Pray
(02-12-2014 10:50 AM)KidCharlemagne1962 Wrote:  The horror, the horror...over seasoned pork chops! Censored

I know right? And they were good cuts too. I can't understand why someone would want to cover up the taste of a good pork chop.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Stark Raving's post
02-12-2014, 10:53 AM
(02-12-2014 10:45 AM)Stark Raving Wrote:  
(02-12-2014 10:34 AM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  i am betting he never makes that mistake again. How did the others react?

There was a couple of muffled giggles, then after eating in silence for a minute or two someone got the conversation going. The seven of us enjoyed the meal without further drama. A little anti-climactic, but I guess that's how real life stories go.

I doubt I'll be invited back though.

It was inappropriate and inconsiderate to ask you to say the prayer. Serves him right. He could have asked for a moment of silence for prayer and reflection or skipped it altogether and prayed silently without making a big production of things.

Asshole move on his part.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
[+] 5 users Like Nurse's post
02-12-2014, 12:57 PM
(02-12-2014 10:27 AM)Stark Raving Wrote:  So I was at a friends for dinner last night. The person hosting is Christian, but has never been pushy about it...until last night. As we sat down to eat (there were eight people there) my friend suggested that I say grace, since it's my birthday. He knows I'm an atheist.

So I said, "sure!", and proceeded to thank the Flying Spaghetti Monster for the wonderful meal (it wasn't spaghetti unfortunately), and ask him to heal an extra amputee or two in honor of my birthday.

Needless to say, our host was not amused. He said a very curt grace and ate his meal in silence.

The pork chops were good, but a little over seasoned. Drinking Beverage

Damn. You have balls. I doubt I could have done that.
Whenever people want to pray, I say I have to pee, and ask where the restroom is.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
02-12-2014, 12:58 PM
When I get asked if I would like to lead grace I just say "no thanks". People have quit asking.
[+] 1 user Likes wazzel's post
02-12-2014, 01:45 PM
(02-12-2014 12:57 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(02-12-2014 10:27 AM)Stark Raving Wrote:  So I was at a friends for dinner last night. The person hosting is Christian, but has never been pushy about it...until last night. As we sat down to eat (there were eight people there) my friend suggested that I say grace, since it's my birthday. He knows I'm an atheist.

So I said, "sure!", and proceeded to thank the Flying Spaghetti Monster for the wonderful meal (it wasn't spaghetti unfortunately), and ask him to heal an extra amputee or two in honor of my birthday.

Needless to say, our host was not amused. He said a very curt grace and ate his meal in silence.

The pork chops were good, but a little over seasoned. Drinking Beverage

Damn. You have balls. I doubt I could have done that.
Whenever people want to pray, I say I have to pee, and ask where the restroom is.

I'm very fortunate that my religious in-laws live 2000 miles away from me but one summer when visiting them a prayer was said during a large family reunion.

I've never prayed in my life so all I do during times like this is look down at my fingernails and inspect them for hangnails and snags. It's totally irreverent.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
02-12-2014, 01:54 PM
Re: Asked to Pray
I'm with you. If he knew you're an atheist, he was trying to be a smart ass. He deserved it. Next time, offer to say grace before he asks.
[+] 1 user Likes Clockwork's post
02-12-2014, 02:22 PM
Me and my sisters used to "joke pray" sometimes. We'd say stuff like: "Dear god, thanks for the fucking food and bless the shit out of the bitches who made it."

Of course I'd never say this prayer in front of people. But I'd now replace "in jesus name, amen" with "niggas for life, dueces"

"Most people are other people.
Their thoughts are someone else's opinions,
their lives a mimicry,
their passions a quotation."
-Oscar Wilde
[+] 9 users Like LadyWallFlower's post
02-12-2014, 02:39 PM
Act like you misunderstood "pray" for "prey".
Let the hilarity ensue...

[Image: fdyq20.jpg]
[+] 5 users Like LostLocke's post
02-12-2014, 03:24 PM
(02-12-2014 12:58 PM)wazzel Wrote:  When I get asked if I would like to lead grace I just say "no thanks". People have quit asking.

Yeah, I'm the kind of guy who would say "I'm not the praying type.", and leave it at that.
02-12-2014, 03:43 PM
I think I'd probably go this route if I was in the situation;

[Image: 5282.jpg]

Popcorn I put more thought into fiction than theists put into reality.
[+] 7 users Like CleverUsername's post