Asked to Pray

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-12-2014, 02:17 PM
RE: Asked to Pray
Wow, the art in that is fantastic! Thank you man, I'm gonna dive right into that.

It is held that valour is the chiefest virtue and most dignifies the haver.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes WhiskeyDebates's post
03-12-2014, 02:41 PM
(03-12-2014 12:56 PM)WhiskeyDebates Wrote:  
(03-12-2014 06:42 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  Holy crap! I didn't know anyone else knew about Amazing Super Powers!

I read every strip the day it comes out, I have a lot of Web comics that I like though my favorites almost never update any more :/ My favorite is by far Scout Crossing cause I adore the art style, but ya... sometimes it's months between comics.

I used to have a lot more but they got shit (Mega Tokyo, Sinfest).

Shit scout crossing is awesome Smile Fuckity fuck. Productivity out the window for the next little while... lucky it's night time over here Big Grin

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
03-12-2014, 02:59 PM (This post was last modified: 03-12-2014 03:27 PM by Tomasia.)
(02-12-2014 10:27 AM)Stark Raving Wrote:  So I was at a friends for dinner last night. The person hosting is Christian, but has never been pushy about it...until last night. As we sat down to eat (there were eight people there) my friend suggested that I say grace, since it's my birthday. He knows I'm an atheist.

I couldn't help but think of this:

[+] 1 user Likes Tomasia's post
03-12-2014, 03:11 PM
(03-12-2014 02:59 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  

THAT WAS EPIC!!!

I feel sorry for the family. The dad was a complete arsehole and the kid was ...

a teenager.
03-12-2014, 03:47 PM
(02-12-2014 10:27 AM)Stark Raving Wrote:  So I was at a friends for dinner last night. The person hosting is Christian, but has never been pushy about it...until last night. As we sat down to eat (there were eight people there) my friend suggested that I say grace, since it's my birthday. He knows I'm an atheist.

So I said, "sure!", and proceeded to thank the Flying Spaghetti Monster for the wonderful meal (it wasn't spaghetti unfortunately), and ask him to heal an extra amputee or two in honor of my birthday.

Needless to say, our host was not amused. He said a very curt grace and ate his meal in silence.

The pork chops were good, but a little over seasoned. Drinking Beverage

Rude bastard.
The host, that is. Shy

I have to wonder at the motives of people, sometimes. Some actually seem to behave as if they are so confident in their childish manipulation. I know, I know; they are supposed to be "fishers of men" and all that. Whatevah. If someone is a friend based solely on the intention of subtly pulling him into "the fold" of one's faith, I have to wonder about the substance of the faith. Dodgy

I mean ... like, I don't encourage or even invite theist friends to dance nude with us during the moonlight sacrifice. Angel

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
03-12-2014, 04:00 PM

So I said, "sure!", and proceeded to thank the Flying Spaghetti Monster for the wonderful meal (it wasn't spaghetti unfortunately), and ask him to heal an extra amputee or two in honor of my birthday.

Needless to say, our host was not amused. He said a very curt grace and ate his meal in silence.

Well, you must be fun at parties!

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
03-12-2014, 04:19 PM (This post was last modified: 03-12-2014 04:22 PM by kim.)
(02-12-2014 03:24 PM)RobbyPants Wrote:  
(02-12-2014 12:58 PM)wazzel Wrote:  When I get asked if I would like to lead grace I just say "no thanks". People have quit asking.

Yeah, I'm the kind of guy who would say "I'm not the praying type.", and leave it at that.

I don't think I've ever been asked and I've certainly never been expected to participate in something like that. It's rare that I'm around such a ritual so, I usually just look around in silence while others do their thing.

Consider

Hey, if it comes up in some unknown future, I think I have a response. Smile

If I'm ever asked if I want to lead a grace ... I might respond with: You want an atheist to talk to a non existent god? Suppose I damn everyone to a hell I also don't believe in?

Should set straight all involved parties. Shy I'm sure I'd say it quietly and in a jokey, nice way... unless someone gets insistent.

If I can't get out of someone's ulterior motive... well then, honesty is the best policy and really is the only remaining choice one has. Drinking Beverage

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
03-12-2014, 04:29 PM
(03-12-2014 03:47 PM)kim Wrote:  

Rude bastard.
The host, that is. Shy

I have to wonder at the motives of people, sometimes. Some actually seem to behave as if they are so confident in their childish manipulation. I know, I know; they are supposed to be "fishers of men" and all that. Whatevah. If someone is a friend based solely on the intention of subtly pulling him into "the fold" of one's faith, I have to wonder about the substance of the faith. Dodgy

I mean ... like, I don't encourage or even invite theist friends to dance nude with us during the moonlight sacrifice. Angel

It's a power play pure and simple. The idea is "You won't dare to break the social politeness rules that have been conditioned into you by society by refusing my request, which is polite and sounds very reasonable. You might inwardly seeth, but you want to be thought of as a nice guy. So I'm going to take advantage of that to force you to pretend my God is real just for a few seconds, so that I can feel good about myself."

It's not about bringing anyone into the fold. It's about pushing people around, teaching the kids that a public show of Christianity is required even of known atheists - that kinda thing. Basically asserting cultural dominance.

Hehe Big Grin But when someone rains on your parade... Big Grin I could never do what Stark did, which is defuse a situation and make the asker look like a dolt... I think if I was in that situation there'd be a lot more anger involved... which then makes the atheist look like the idiot, which still fits nicely with the intended message of the lil' charade.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 3 users Like morondog's post
03-12-2014, 06:58 PM
(03-12-2014 02:41 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(03-12-2014 12:56 PM)WhiskeyDebates Wrote:  I read every strip the day it comes out, I have a lot of Web comics that I like though my favorites almost never update any more :/ My favorite is by far Scout Crossing cause I adore the art style, but ya... sometimes it's months between comics.

I used to have a lot more but they got shit (Mega Tokyo, Sinfest).

Shit scout crossing is awesome Smile Fuckity fuck. Productivity out the window for the next little while... lucky it's night time over here Big Grin

I just went through all of Lackadaisy and OMG that was stunning, fantastic, funny and just gorgeous! And the writing, was just so good, deep and so full of character! I want that to be a movie or a TV show! I'm spam HBO with links lol

Thank you SO much for that man, so much!

It is held that valour is the chiefest virtue and most dignifies the haver.
[+] 1 user Likes WhiskeyDebates's post
03-12-2014, 08:25 PM
(03-12-2014 02:59 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  

I couldn't help but think of this:

That video warms my heart...it was almost like being back home. Heart
[+] 1 user Likes pablo's post