Asked to be GodFather

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-10-2014, 05:58 PM
Asked to be GodFather
Hi Guys,

I'm new here and will post a intro post tomorrow but i just wanted to post this to get some thoughts before i go to bed.

My Brother has a baby girl, about 6 months old now and she is due to be christened soon, he has asked me to be a God Father to her.

The problem i have is that even though i love both my brother and the baby to bits i am an atheist and i really feel that a child should not even be christened as a baby and it should be left to the child to choose what they believe when they are old enough.

I really don't want to offend my brother or his partner and to make things worse there has been silly arguments over things up until this point between my mum, dad and my brothers partner that has left a lot of tension in the air already, i don't want to cause any more upset but i would feel a real hypocrite to go to the christening and going through the process of becoming godfather in the church, i don't even actually know whats involved in the christening and the whole ritual.

Just wondering what you guys would do in my position, if it makes any difference im a male in my 30's. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thnx Guys Lee.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-10-2014, 06:49 PM
RE: Asked to be GodFather
(06-10-2014 05:58 PM)Boomer252 Wrote:  Hi Guys,

I'm new here and will post a intro post tomorrow but i just wanted to post this to get some thoughts before i go to bed.

My Brother has a baby girl, about 6 months old now and she is due to be christened soon, he has asked me to be a God Father to her.

The problem i have is that even though i love both my brother and the baby to bits i am an atheist and i really feel that a child should not even be christened as a baby and it should be left to the child to choose what they believe when they are old enough.

I really don't want to offend my brother or his partner and to make things worse there has been silly arguments over things up until this point between my mum, dad and my brothers partner that has left a lot of tension in the air already, i don't want to cause any more upset but i would feel a real hypocrite to go to the christening and going through the process of becoming godfather in the church, i don't even actually know whats involved in the christening and the whole ritual.

Just wondering what you guys would do in my position, if it makes any difference im a male in my 30's. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thnx Guys Lee.

Does he know that you are an atheist?

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-10-2014, 06:59 PM
(06-10-2014 05:58 PM)Boomer252 Wrote:  Hi Guys,

Thnx Guys Lee.

I was in your shoes about fourteen years ago and I turned it down. First of all the Catholic Church requires you to go through a training of sorts, and expects you to bring the child up in the RCC if the situation warrants it and I simply would not have agreed.

I told my brother I was very honored and humbled but I simply could not promise him and his wife that I would ever indoctrinate my nephew. I think they understood but my parents on the other hand not so much.

In the end I have a clear conscience, a good relationship with everyone and my nephew loves hanging out with his uncle.

I hope this helps you.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 2 users Like Full Circle's post
06-10-2014, 07:57 PM (This post was last modified: 06-10-2014 08:15 PM by GirlyMan.)
(06-10-2014 05:58 PM)Boomer252 Wrote:  The problem i have is that even though i love both my brother and the baby to bits i am an atheist and i really feel that a child should not even be christened as a baby and it should be left to the child to choose what they believe when they are old enough.

I'll raise you one. The Catholic Church knew I was an atheist before I married a good Catholic girl. I had to promise I would not interfere with any marital products proper Catholic upbringing. When they were baptised as little tiny things, the Priest skipped me entirely and went from my wife to the Godparents. ... I still swear he winked at me as he did that. ... Result was 4 fine young atheists whose souls have already been saved. Son says, "The fuck, Homer? Win win."

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post