Asked to go to church

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-08-2013, 05:41 AM
Asked to go to church
So I've been having a long debate with a christian friend of mine over the internet, and out of the blue he asks if I want to go to church with him. Just so you know, I'd made may case pretty clear I was an atheist. How do I respond? I don't want to be mean, but I don't know how to tell him what I think of church in a nice way. I'm not doing anything the day he asked, so no excuse there Smile. Seriously though, how do you respond when somebody who knows your a non-believer asks you to go to church?

Against logic there is no armor like ignorance. -Laurence J. Peter
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-08-2013, 06:26 AM
RE: Asked to go to church
(28-08-2013 05:41 AM)Derek Hammar Wrote:  So I've been having a long debate with a christian friend of mine over the internet, and out of the blue he asks if I want to go to church with him. Just so you know, I'd made may case pretty clear I was an atheist. How do I respond? I don't want to be mean, but I don't know how to tell him what I think of church in a nice way. I'm not doing anything the day he asked, so no excuse there Smile. Seriously though, how do you respond when somebody who knows your a non-believer asks you to go to church?

Me and my husband had to go to church recently for our nephews indoctrination dedication- I mean, his baby dedication. Same difference. lol

Anywho, you might make a bargain with him. Maybe say you'll go to church with him if he'll watch an episode of TTA? Or, if you really don't want to go, (I wouldnt blame you) you could simply decline. Smile

"Most people are other people.
Their thoughts are someone else's opinions,
their lives a mimicry,
their passions a quotation."
-Oscar Wilde
28-08-2013, 06:45 AM
(28-08-2013 05:41 AM)Derek Hammar Wrote:  So I've been having a long debate with a christian friend of mine over the internet, and out of the blue he asks if I want to go to church with him. Just so you know, I'd made may case pretty clear I was an atheist. How do I respond? I don't want to be mean, but I don't know how to tell him what I think of church in a nice way. I'm not doing anything the day he asked, so no excuse there Smile. Seriously though, how do you respond when somebody who knows your a non-believer asks you to go to church?

Hmm, I think I've got a few....

" Were you recently struck on the back of the head and lost all memory of our recent discussions? If not, you should get your memory lapse checked, it could be a problem."

"Are you retarded?"

"No thanks, your church has, in all likelihood, nothing to offer me of any sort of intellectual merit or physical utility; I find the basis of the church, (regardless of it's denomination) to be as much a fairy tale as those upon which I grew. I see no real reason why I should go and what benefit I would have by doing so. Respectfully; my response in 'No, I would not like to go to your church.' "

How about them?

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
28-08-2013, 06:49 AM
How about

"I'd rather not."?

If he asks why, just say that you don't believe in what they discuss at churches so why go? It would be akin to going to a (and you should pick your own examples here probably) Klan rally as a non-racist. A Conservative Republican Convention as a Liberal Democrat. A pro-Communism rally if you were McCarthy.

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
28-08-2013, 06:52 AM
If you really don't want to go, maybe you should help him understand why asking you to go to church with him isn't the best of things. Say, if you were Jehovah's Witness, and he invited you to go to church. well, that would be awkward wouldn't it? You're dealing with the same awkwardness, but it's just with 1 deity less than if you were a Witness. It's a learning opportunity, in this case if your friend is open to learning new perspectives while not compromising their beliefs.

Great segue into the whole "I don't get how you can't believe in God" comments I hear. Take the belief of your friend, who believes in the christian god. Ask them if they believe in Allah. If they say no then they understand disbelief. For yourself, it just adds up to all deities worshiped around the world.

Honestly, I think he expects a refusal. There's only two replies to it anyways. Good luck!

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
28-08-2013, 06:29 PM
Thanks. I kind of chickened out though. I just didn't respond. I should have said this in my original post but he phrased it as a way to catch up. We were best friends about 5 years ago but since I moved, we feel out of touch. Now he moved to an area near me. I'll just copy his post here,"Hey Derek! it's been a few days. I have been meaning to get back to you on your last message. Don't worry. ( : I have a quick question for you... Would you like to go to church with me tomorrow? We could get something to eat afterwards if you want. We can just chill and catch up on some stuff. We could pick you up too. It starts at 7:00. I hope you can come! See ya later!". I don't know, maybe I just don't want to be the "angry atheist" stereotype. It's not that I didn't love the responses you gave me free though Smile.

Okay, now I'm the angry atheist. He just now as I was typing this sent me this (after I refused the offer of church), "Leviticus 24:16- Whoever Blasphemes the name of the Lord shall be put to death." What?!? And I'M intolerant? I just might use one of your responses free thought.

28-08-2013, 06:35 PM
Okay, after thinking about it I desided to go down a few notches from free thought,here's what I said,"as far as church goes, I may have mentioned this before but I don't believe in god, I'm an atheist. We don't go to church, I prefer sleep."

Was that too offensive? I don't know, he did just say I deserve death, so I guess I have a right to be a little pissed.

[+] 2 users Like Derek Hammar's post
28-08-2013, 07:24 PM
(28-08-2013 06:35 PM)Derek Hammar Wrote:  Okay, after thinking about it I desided to go down a few notches from free thought,here's what I said,"as far as church goes, I may have mentioned this before but I don't believe in god, I'm an atheist. We don't go to church, I prefer sleep."

Was that too offensive? I don't know, he did just say I deserve death, so I guess I have a right to be a little pissed.

I don't think it was, you were well in your right to reply as you had.

If he tries to push it, you can remind him that the conversation is dead, as stated in his old book.

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
28-08-2013, 08:43 PM
A polite but definite no is sufficient, I get asked often and I just politely say "Thank you for the invitation, but I would rather not." Usually this just prompts a smile and the subject is dropped. I often invite those who ask over for dinner, we can catch up that way and nobody has to do anything that makes them uncomfortable.

As for your friend OP, I would have just told him I would meet them for dinner whenever they were done at church if they wanted to catch up. Church doesn't have to be a part of that equation at all. But after that last line of BS he sent you, I'm pretty sure I would have responded the same way, and actually called him out on that scriptoral passage by sending him another equally asinine one like Leviticus 19:19.

"Good news, everyone!"
-Cody
28-08-2013, 09:09 PM (This post was last modified: 28-08-2013 09:18 PM by Lienda Bella.)
Maybe they want to help your curiosity, but that usually isn't the case with church inviting. I did that once when I was one. I wanted her to go to be more enlightened about the belief, but what I really did it for was to get her to say "yes" to a label and see it my way. Sad I didn't even know my own stupid bible or God. With those things in my mind solid, I would give them a "No" and leave it at that.

(28-08-2013 06:35 PM)Derek Hammar Wrote:  Okay, after thinking about it I decided to go down a few notches from free thought, here's what I said," as far as church goes, I may have mentioned this before but I don't believe in god, I'm an atheist. We don't go to church, I prefer sleep."

Pff. No, that wasn't offensive at all. His levit. verse, though. Hard to tell if he was being silly or not.