Askhole, and that rabbit is going to die.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-08-2014, 06:17 AM
Askhole, and that rabbit is going to die.
My husband's bible thumping cousins somehow managed to get their hands on a legitimately orphaned rabbit, something about a lawnmower accident at their kid's school. Whatever.

I was asked for advice because of my "background in rabbits and rehabbing". That background consists of having owned loads of different kinds of animals, my former bunny being my pride and joy, and oh yeah, my and my husband's affinity for finding injured wild animals. And you know what our "rehab experience" is? Calling a legitimate goddamn animal rehab center.

Fine, so we get asked this litany of questions, what to feed it, how frequently, etc etc. I tell them they need to call a local vet (they live about 2 hours away from us, in an equally rural area) and find a local rehabber. He/she needs to be given to someone who knows what the hell they're doing because they've only got something like a 50% survival rate anyway.

No. Won't do it for some reason. Probably because OMG HE'S SO CUTE AND OH LOOK HIS EYES AREN'T EVEN OPENED YET.

After pleading with them, with no avail, I said fine, this is what you need to do then, and essentially listed out what our local rabbit rehab does. This is included, but not limited to, feeding specific amounts of specific milk, and oh yeah, NOT OVER HANDLING. At the end of the very long, very arduous, very frustrating conversation, I finally felt like what I was saying was sinking in. I felt comfortable that he understood what I was telling him, and well, one of the two adults in the household has to have some sense, right?

I wake up to "I was up ALL night holding him and his eyes are open! And he's making this sound, I think he wants his mom, I feel so bad!"

You should. You really should. Why the hell would you even bother asking for my advice if you won't take it. When I asked why, why would you handle him all night after being told you shouldn't? "Because he looked so lonely" I said to not get to attached because with a low survival rate already, being an orphan, he certainly isn't getting any help from them. His cousin goes "Well if Jesus calls him home, there's nothing we can do." I shot back with "Well, you could care for him PROPERLY or hand him over to someone who does this for a LIVING to improve his chances instead of treating him like he's a domestic animal. Or continue to do things that may ultimately contribute to his death. Whatever you feel is the best course of action."

If I weren't on bed rest, husband and I would be making the two hour trip, four hour round trip, today to snatch that poor little guy up.

Nothing is more frustrating for me than people who ask for help because they DON'T KNOW, then go "Eh, I know what you said, and I heard you, but with my VAST amount of knowledge on the subject, I'm choosing to go this route."

/frustration
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like MrsFarrow's post
27-08-2014, 06:30 AM
RE: Askhole, and that rabbit is going to die.
Me thinks you need to block these cousins from your life, at least till baby arrives. Longer if you can get away with it Laugh out load

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
27-08-2014, 06:34 AM
RE: Askhole, and that rabbit is going to die.
(27-08-2014 06:30 AM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  Me thinks you need to block these cousins from your life, at least till baby arrives. Longer if you can get away with it Laugh out load

I agree. I feel a verbal smackdown coming on. Even blocking on Facebook does no good because somehow *cough*mother in law?*cough* they got my number.

Le sigh.