Asking for money

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-06-2014, 05:02 PM
Asking for money
Just received a letter from an 18yr pleading for money so he can fly to an Asiatic country - $3000, attend a conference - $1000 and $1250mo for two years so he can live on a ship and evangelize to non-Christians. I have never, nor has anyone I know, every received a plea for funding so someone could attend a good college or university but there is an expectation that if it's about G*d then we should be happy to kick in. Will this kid return with a good resume for a job - no, but he'll come back and convince all and sundry how many he converted to Christianity altho that doesn't qualify him for the work force.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Takelababy's post
03-06-2014, 05:46 PM
RE: Asking for money
Sounds like a scam to me Undecided

Humankind Dodgy (a total misnomer)
[+] 5 users Like aurora's post
03-06-2014, 05:49 PM
Don't do it. Second you saw evangelize to non-Christians you should have used that letter for the fire and roast marshmallows, then it can come to good use.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
[+] 2 users Like Metazoa Zeke's post
03-06-2014, 05:50 PM
My husband gets those sorts of letters from his cousins and nieces.

There is one cousin who moved his family to Mexico to run some sort of churchy thing who writes update newsletters ( more begging for funds). One niece took a mission trip to Figi and wanted others to pay for it.

I told him we would donate once we could talk someone else into paying for our vacations to far away places.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
[+] 1 user Likes Bows and Arrows's post
04-06-2014, 09:37 AM
(03-06-2014 05:02 PM)Takelababy Wrote:  Just received a letter from an 18yr pleading for money so he can fly to an Asiatic country - $3000, attend a conference - $1000 and $1250mo for two years so he can live on a ship and evangelize to non-Christians. I have never, nor has anyone I know, every received a plea for funding so someone could attend a good college or university but there is an expectation that if it's about G*d then we should be happy to kick in. Will this kid return with a good resume for a job - no, but he'll come back and convince all and sundry how many he converted to Christianity altho that doesn't qualify him for the work force.

I get them all the time, as I sit on the board of an educational foundation. Fortunately, our by-laws prohibit our support of any political or religious education. When they include letters of recommendation from their pastor/church leaders or want to study religion, I just toss them in the circular file.

I really enjoy that part.

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
[+] 1 user Likes Thinkerbelle's post
04-06-2014, 03:43 PM
What!? I've never heard of such foolishness! You're telling me that there's idiots out there who just ask a bunch of random people via nicely written letters usually involving some form of religion for money?

I am pissed that I've never had the pleasure of sending a response letter.

NEW AND IMPROVED!
Twice the anger, Half the space!
04-06-2014, 03:51 PM
(04-06-2014 03:43 PM)Hamata k Wrote:  What!? I've never heard of such foolishness! You're telling me that there's idiots out there who just ask a bunch of random people via nicely written letters usually involving some form of religion for money?

Yes, to pay for that person to go on a mission trip to a faraway place to spread Gods word and to serve him.

Usually they are told to ask family, friends, church members, and any other contacts they have. To ask Christian businesses and basically anyone they think they can get a donation from, including standing at the door of the mall asking customers going in and out for support.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
04-06-2014, 03:55 PM
(04-06-2014 03:51 PM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  
(04-06-2014 03:43 PM)Hamata k Wrote:  What!? I've never heard of such foolishness! You're telling me that there's idiots out there who just ask a bunch of random people via nicely written letters usually involving some form of religion for money?

Yes, to pay for that person to go on a mission trip to a faraway place to spread Gods word and to serve him.

Usually they are told to ask family, friends, church members, and any other contacts they have. To ask Christian businesses and basically anyone they think they can get a donation from, including standing at the door of the mall asking customers going in and out for support.

That is absolutely bonkers. If they want to spread the word of "insert religion here" then they need to work for it.

NEW AND IMPROVED!
Twice the anger, Half the space!
04-06-2014, 04:07 PM
(04-06-2014 03:51 PM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  Yes, to pay for that person to go on a mission trip to a faraway place to spread Gods word and to serve him.

Gee, what happened to prayer? Oh, not working? Oh well.

Hmm... atheism is starting to look pretty good. Drinking Beverage

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
04-06-2014, 04:10 PM
(03-06-2014 05:02 PM)Takelababy Wrote:  Just received a letter from an 18yr pleading for money so he can fly to an Asiatic country - $3000, attend a conference - $1000 and $1250mo for two years so he can live on a ship and evangelize to non-Christians. I have never, nor has anyone I know, every received a plea for funding so someone could attend a good college or university but there is an expectation that if it's about G*d then we should be happy to kick in. Will this kid return with a good resume for a job - no, but he'll come back and convince all and sundry how many he converted to Christianity altho that doesn't qualify him for the work force.

Money scam. Write back and tell him you have $5,000 ready to send, but need him to first wire you $150 for insurance for the cashier's check.... Laughat

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
[+] 5 users Like goodwithoutgod's post