Asking for prayers?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-09-2014, 04:19 PM
Asking for prayers?
So I've seen a couple of friends lately asking overtly for prayers...

Can someone please take me inside the mind of someone who believes in an all-powerful, all-knowing god and yet still needs to ask other people to petition that god on their behalf?

What the actual fuck!?

"Name me a moral statement made or moral action performed that could not have been made or done, by a non-believer..." - Christopher Hitchens

My youtube musings: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfFoxbz...UVi1pf4B5g
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like CiderThinker's post
23-09-2014, 04:24 PM
RE: Asking for prayers?
God gets off on groveling.

"I feel as though the camera is almost a kind of voyeur in Mr. Beans life, and you just watch this bizarre man going about his life in the way that he wants to."

-Rowan Atkinson
[+] 2 users Like Can_of_Beans's post
23-09-2014, 04:31 PM
(23-09-2014 04:19 PM)CiderThinker Wrote:  So I've seen a couple of friends lately asking overtly for prayers...

Can someone please take me inside the mind of someone who believes in an all-powerful, all-knowing god and yet still needs to ask other people to petition that god on their behalf?

What the actual fuck!?

Well, they start out not playing with a full deck, or maybe a deck with a couple of jokers in it, so don't expect high-grade logic from them.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
23-09-2014, 04:49 PM
(23-09-2014 04:19 PM)CiderThinker Wrote:  So I've seen a couple of friends lately asking overtly for prayers...

What the actual fuck!?

AND.......... They believe it actually works.

SMH.

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
23-09-2014, 05:00 PM
(23-09-2014 04:19 PM)CiderThinker Wrote:  Can someone please take me inside the mind of someone who believes in an all-powerful, all-knowing god and yet still needs to ask other people to petition that god on their behalf?

They haven't thought it all the way through. Asking for God to help solve a problem means that you figure that he wouldn't stop the problem on his own. Thus, they have to believe that God caused/allowed a problem solely so someone would go to him to help fix it.

If you press a theist on this, they will either give you a non-answer, or they'll say the real purpose of prayer is to show thanks/submission. For anyone who actually expects help, they simply haven't examined their beliefs.
[+] 2 users Like RobbyPants's post
23-09-2014, 06:36 PM
Eh, it's the same thing as saying "wish me luck!"

Atheism is the only way to truly be free from sin.
23-09-2014, 06:39 PM
(23-09-2014 04:19 PM)CiderThinker Wrote:  Can someone please take me inside the mind of someone who believes in an all-powerful, all-knowing god and yet still needs to ask other people to petition that god on their behalf?

Certainly!

[Image: _6681898_orig.jpg]

Enjoy your stay in these people's minds!

(23-09-2014 05:00 PM)RobbyPants Wrote:  If you press a theist on this, they will either give you a non-answer, or they'll say the real purpose of prayer is to show thanks/submission.

Oh, wow. That's...that's messed up. In so many ways. Especially the "submission" part. I mean...what about all those parents praying their babies don't die from cancer? God's killing their kids because they didn't constantly remind themselves they suck compared to Mr. AllLoving according to this defense?

Popcorn I put more thought into fiction than theists put into reality.
[+] 2 users Like CleverUsername's post
23-09-2014, 06:45 PM

What the actual fuck!?

Maybe they think that if enough people ask for the same thing, It will "persuade" their god to give it to them.

Even though the very thought that an all knowing god would be able to see through such deception and probably extremely disprove of people being bribed to beg for something like that just for the sake of someone else asking or paying or begging them in turn.

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
23-09-2014, 06:48 PM
In heavenly Facebook, god is up there waiting for that 10 millionth prayer so he can give the Smiths a new car.

Atheism is the only way to truly be free from sin.
[+] 2 users Like Colourcraze's post
23-09-2014, 06:51 PM
(23-09-2014 04:24 PM)Can_of_Beans Wrote:  God gets off on groveling.

I have noticed that it is like god goes, Alright I know what you want but I want you to get down on your knees and beg, Good you begged now I will think about saving your sick friend.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube