Asking for prayers?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-09-2014, 06:53 PM
RE: Asking for prayers?
(23-09-2014 06:51 PM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  
(23-09-2014 04:24 PM)Can_of_Beans Wrote:  God gets off on groveling.

I have noticed that it is like god goes, Alright I know what you want but I want you to get down on your knees and beg, Good you begged now I will think about saving your sick friend.

But then he'll still say no

Atheism is the only way to truly be free from sin.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-09-2014, 07:12 PM
(23-09-2014 06:48 PM)Colourcraze Wrote:  In heavenly Facebook, god is up there waiting for that 10 millionth prayer so he can give the Smiths a new car.

You're confusing "prayer" with "dollar" there.

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
23-09-2014, 07:16 PM
(23-09-2014 07:12 PM)Thinkerbelle Wrote:  
(23-09-2014 06:48 PM)Colourcraze Wrote:  In heavenly Facebook, god is up there waiting for that 10 millionth prayer so he can give the Smiths a new car.

You're confusing "prayer" with "dollar" there.

Is there a difference when all is said and done?

"Name me a moral statement made or moral action performed that could not have been made or done, by a non-believer..." - Christopher Hitchens

My youtube musings: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfFoxbz...UVi1pf4B5g
23-09-2014, 07:22 PM
Prayer goes directly against the idea of a god that is aware of everything and is good and has power.

Praying means that you don't believe that god is aware of the situation, so you must tell him.
Prayer means that you don't think god is good, so you must beg him to please do the right thing.
Prayer means that you don't believe that god has any true power, because if he did, then you wouldn't need to send out those healing thoughts from your mind. You wouldn't feel the need to encourage others to pray with you.

Are you trying to play god by praying ? Are you trying to alter the outcome of an event with your thoughts ?

Prayer is hoping that your thoughts can effect some kind of change when it's obvious to you that your god can't.
You may tell yourself that you are praying to a god, but really, it's YOU who is trying to influence this change.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 2 users Like Rahn127's post
23-09-2014, 07:26 PM
(23-09-2014 04:19 PM)CiderThinker Wrote:  So I've seen a couple of friends lately asking overtly for prayers...

Can someone please take me inside the mind of someone who believes in an all-powerful, all-knowing god and yet still needs to ask other people to petition that god on their behalf?

What the actual fuck!?

Matthew 18:19--it states that if two or more people come together in prayer, the prayer will be answered. You have to be a believer to get it. Drinking Beverage

Be true to yourself. Heart
23-09-2014, 07:47 PM
(23-09-2014 06:53 PM)Colourcraze Wrote:  
(23-09-2014 06:51 PM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  I have noticed that it is like god goes, Alright I know what you want but I want you to get down on your knees and beg, Good you begged now I will think about saving your sick friend.

But then he'll still say no

...because he works in mysterious ways.

"I feel as though the camera is almost a kind of voyeur in Mr. Beans life, and you just watch this bizarre man going about his life in the way that he wants to."

-Rowan Atkinson
24-09-2014, 05:21 AM

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
24-09-2014, 05:56 AM
I think it revolves around this one, John 14:13,

13 And I will do whatever you ask in my name, so that the Father may be glorified in the Son.

Here in the south its a free for all, you just have to make sure you say "in Jesus' name" after your wish or it won't come true.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
[+] 2 users Like Bows and Arrows's post
24-09-2014, 06:56 AM
(23-09-2014 07:22 PM)Rahn127 Wrote:  Prayer goes directly against the idea of a god that is aware of everything and is good and has power.

Praying means that you don't believe that god is aware of the situation, so you must tell him.
Prayer means that you don't think god is good, so you must beg him to please do the right thing.
Prayer means that you don't believe that god has any true power, because if he did, then you wouldn't need to send out those healing thoughts from your mind. You wouldn't feel the need to encourage others to pray with you.

Are you trying to play god by praying ? Are you trying to alter the outcome of an event with your thoughts ?

Prayer is hoping that your thoughts can effect some kind of change when it's obvious to you that your god can't.
You may tell yourself that you are praying to a god, but really, it's YOU who is trying to influence this change.

I actually had a weird experience of that idea in my schooldays

our school asked some people to do a seminar or osmething on the mind effecting reality shit
this is what happened

they said they had a weight lifter to life a weight, and asked the audience to think he won't be able to lift it, and then they said he wasn't able to life it
they said they got the opposite results when they asked to audience to think that he will lift it
never even saw a video of that happening so I guess I'm supposed to take it on faith.................... like hell I'm gonna do that Evil_monster

here's where is gets even more dumb
they took water from a lake Yes
they then after a few weeks asked people to think abotu a lake after showing them a pic of it Yes
after that they went back to the lake and took some water, they said they tested it and found that the water had some kind of crystal or osmething in it after the "thinking" experiment Facepalm

even to this day I be like
FacepalmFacepalmFacepalmFacepalmFacepalmFacepalmFacepalmFacepalm
24-09-2014, 07:46 AM
(24-09-2014 06:56 AM)Ace Wrote:  
(23-09-2014 07:22 PM)Rahn127 Wrote:  Prayer goes directly against the idea of a god that is aware of everything and is good and has power.

I actually had a weird experience of that idea in my schooldays

our school asked some people to do a seminar or osmething on the mind effecting reality shit
this is what happened

they said they had a weight lifter to life a weight, and asked the audience to think he won't be able to lift it, and then they said he wasn't able to life it
they said they got the opposite results when they asked to audience to think that he will lift it
never even saw a video of that happening so I guess I'm supposed to take it on faith.................... like hell I'm gonna do that Evil_monster

here's where is gets even more dumb
they took water from a lake Yes
they then after a few weeks asked people to think abotu a lake after showing them a pic of it Yes
after that they went back to the lake and took some water, they said they tested it and found that the water had some kind of crystal or osmething in it after the "thinking" experiment Facepalm

even to this day I be like
FacepalmFacepalmFacepalmFacepalmFacepalmFacepalmFacepalmFacepalm

Huh what the hell kind of school do you go to?

Atheism is the only way to truly be free from sin.