Asking for prayers?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-09-2014, 10:12 AM
RE: Asking for prayers?
Since prayer can change people, not an immutable creator, did you know that when I ask others to pray I'm inviting them to grow and learn? And since prayer changes people in several ways, including comfort, have you thought how wonderful it must be to pray to the Good Lord when doctors cannot cure a disease, for one example?

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-09-2014, 12:39 PM
(24-09-2014 10:12 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  Since prayer can change people, not an immutable creator, did you know that when I ask others to pray I'm inviting them to grow and learn? And since prayer changes people in several ways, including comfort, have you thought how wonderful it must be to pray to the Good Lord when doctors cannot cure a disease, for one example?
Wonderful? Well that's a sick way to look at it. Dodgy It would be far better for God to take away all the disease right from the start and skip all the suffering and needless ego-feeding prayer.

By the way, doctors cure far more diseases than any God ever did.
Doctors: countless number
Gods: 0

@DonaldTrump, Patriotism is not honoring your flag no matter what your country/leader does. It's doing whatever it takes to make your country the best it can be as long as its not violent.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like Impulse's post
24-09-2014, 02:01 PM
(24-09-2014 06:56 AM)Ace Wrote:  ...after that they went back to the lake and took some water, they said they tested it and found that the water had some kind of crystal or something in it after the "thinking" experiment Facepalm

Sounds like they were talking about Masaru Emoto's claims about how thoughts can affect the physical structure of water.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Masaru_Emoto Laughat

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
24-09-2014, 02:08 PM
(24-09-2014 10:12 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  Since prayer can change people, not an immutable creator, did you know that when I ask others to pray I'm inviting them to grow and learn? And since prayer changes people in several ways, including comfort, have you thought how wonderful it must be to pray to the Good Lord when doctors cannot cure a disease, for one example?

Ah, mental masturbation.

The sick person still dies, but *you* feel better.

How very Christian of you. Dodgy

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
[+] 4 users Like Thinkerbelle's post
24-09-2014, 03:13 PM

When my 18 year old son was going through severe depression, to the point of it being suicidal/psychotic depression, an acquaintance who's very religious said she'd pray for him. A year or so later I happened to see her and she asked how my son was doing. I told her he was much better, thanks. I told her it turned out he was transgender and transitioned to female which completely cured his, now her, depression and suicidal thoughts. I told her she was a much happier person, so thanks for the prayers. Thumbsup LOL! I don't think this is quite what she had in mind when she was praying for my daughter. This was the look on her face ..Gasp

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 4 users Like dancefortwo's post
25-09-2014, 12:07 PM
(24-09-2014 02:01 PM)unfogged Wrote:  
(24-09-2014 06:56 AM)Ace Wrote:  ...after that they went back to the lake and took some water, they said they tested it and found that the water had some kind of crystal or something in it after the "thinking" experiment Facepalm

Sounds like they were talking about Masaru Emoto's claims about how thoughts can affect the physical structure of water.

Have you done a study on the highly anomalous facts of water structure and behavior, which seem all but miraculous?

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
25-09-2014, 12:08 PM
(24-09-2014 02:08 PM)Thinkerbelle Wrote:  

Ah, mental masturbation.

You wouldn't agree with me that once the doctors are "done" that you and I should do all we can to save the person's life? Did you understand how that was what I meant with my last post?

25-09-2014, 12:13 PM
(25-09-2014 12:08 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  
(24-09-2014 02:08 PM)Thinkerbelle Wrote:  Ah, mental masturbation.

You wouldn't agree with me that once the doctors are "done" that you and I should do all we can to save the person's life? Did you understand how that was what I meant with my last post?

You are not getting it! Everyone here knows that praying is for the one doing the praying, and has no direct effect on another person's life or well being.

“Truth does not demand belief. Scientists do not join hands every Sunday, singing, yes, gravity is real! I will have faith! I will be strong! I believe in my heart that what goes up, up, up, must come down, down, down. Amen! If they did, we would think they were pretty insecure about it.”
— Dan Barker —
[+] 1 user Likes Timber1025's post
25-09-2014, 12:56 PM
(25-09-2014 12:07 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  
(24-09-2014 02:01 PM)unfogged Wrote:  Sounds like they were talking about Masaru Emoto's claims about how thoughts can affect the physical structure of water.

Have you done a study on the highly anomalous facts of water structure and behavior, which seem all but miraculous?

So miraculous that they don't exist.

Please cite a peer-reviewed study that shows any evidence of it.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
25-09-2014, 03:08 PM
(25-09-2014 12:08 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  
(24-09-2014 02:08 PM)Thinkerbelle Wrote:  Ah, mental masturbation.

Here's a quote from a study in 2006 on prayer. This was the largest study on prayer, called STEP, the Study of the Therapeutic Effects of Intercessory Prayer

"In the study, the researchers monitored 1,802 patients at six hospitals who received coronary bypass surgery, in which doctors reroute circulation around a clogged vein or artery.

The patients were broken into three groups. Two were prayed for; the third was not. Half the patients who received the prayers were told that they were being prayed for; half were told that they might or might not receive prayers.

The researchers asked the members of three congregations — St. Paul's Monastery in St. Paul; the Community of Teresian Carmelites in Worcester, Mass.; and Silent Unity, a Missouri prayer ministry near Kansas City — to deliver the prayers, using the patients' first names and the first initials of their last names.

The congregations were told that they could pray in their own ways, but they were instructed to include the phrase, "for a successful surgery with a quick, healthy recovery and no complications."

Analyzing complications in the 30 days after the operations, the researchers found no differences between those patients who were prayed for and those who were not.

In another of the study's findings, a significantly higher number of the patients who knew that they were being prayed for — 59 percent — suffered complications, compared with 51 percent of those who were uncertain. The authors left open the possibility that this was a chance finding. But they said that being aware of the strangers' prayers also may have caused some of the patients a kind of performance anxiety.

"It may have made them uncertain, wondering am I so sick they had to call in their prayer team?" Dr. Bethea said.

The study also found that more patients in the uninformed prayer group — 18 percent — suffered major complications, like heart attack or stroke, compared with 13 percent in the group that did not receive prayers. In their report, the researchers suggested that this finding might also be a result of chance.

One reason the study was so widely anticipated was that it was led by Dr. Benson, who in his work has emphasized the soothing power of personal prayer and meditation."

At best prayer has a placebo effect, calming a person down but meditation will do the same thing with no god involved. Other than that it doesn't do anything.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 3 users Like dancefortwo's post