Asking for prayers?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-10-2014, 10:31 AM
RE: Asking for prayers?
(02-10-2014 09:11 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  I can go ahead and sign off on all you wrote as long as you understand that this is not my god.
Fair enough. There's no point in wasting time on a straw man.

(02-10-2014 09:11 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  My god's wrath abides upon all who reject him, forever. I'll agree with atheists that being in hell means one is not being "loved" so I don't agree with the all-loving assumption you are making.
Especially if your god is not all-loving, then the "love me and do what I say or else go to hell" god is no better than a tyrant.

(02-10-2014 09:11 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  The fact that Jesus loves you and I so much he gave us all he had does not release us from the opportunity to use free will and respond (or not).
I don't have the universe. Jesus did not give us all he is purported to have. What exactly did he give us? Consider

(02-10-2014 09:11 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  I would go more on the lines of my own experience -- that even though it was about my search for truth then heaven or hell (really, it was/is) that I realized HOLY SMACKEREL, I'D BE A BLOOMING IDIOT to send myself to hell.
My morals say otherwise. I won't bow down to a tyrant just because I'm threatened.

(02-10-2014 09:11 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  To be honest with you--and I'm flexible if you want to define terms further--I've heard the "omnipotent lover" thing before from atheists AND Xians, and I don't buy it from either camp. Where is the:

justice
mercy
wrath
judgment
grace
anger
soothing
choosing
etc?
Without the omnipotence, omniscience, and omni-benevolence, any other is just another being in the universe who is perhaps simply more powerful.

(02-10-2014 09:11 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  Try it this way? If god REALLY REALLY HATES SIN AND SINNERS we are right where a lot of Christians say--my disease was healed and I've sinned--he is merciful! Does that all make sense to you?
So a god, who defines what is a sin and what isn't, really really hates disobedience and those who disobey. That god can define sin as, for example, not stoning an adulterer or as not killing babies when he gave an order to do so. So that god is "merciful", how? (And I'm not sure what you were saying about healed disease here.)

(02-10-2014 09:11 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  Or think about it this way, as The Q tend to? God is very powerful, very loving, very judgmental, and after his patience is thinned enough, very vengeful. If what I'm saying is correct than all unbelievers need to change their minds soon. I believe in a VERY god and not "he's three things without being anything else--omnipotent, omniscient, loving".
Obey or else hell. Not very god-like at all. Like I said... that's a tyrant.

@DonaldTrump, Patriotism is not honoring your flag no matter what your country/leader does. It's doing whatever it takes to make your country the best it can be as long as its not violent.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Impulse's post
02-10-2014, 10:48 AM
Did he really recycle that old chestnut? The deja-vu is strong here...

I get a chuckle anytime I hear that a god needs or wants something, when I hear that a god gets angry or jealous, and when I hear that god can't create a particular universe void of suffering because then we wouldn't understand happiness. Apparently that god is subject to emotions, rules and restrictions beyond its own power.

I prefer gods that are slightly more advanced in the emotional stability department. You know, the kind that don't require you to thank them for saving you from their judgement, which ranges from hellfire to "no love for you" depending on the time period, culture, and desperation of the salesman.

If Jesus died for our sins, why is there still sin? If man was created from dust, why is there still dust? If Americans came from Europe, why are there still Europeans?
02-10-2014, 01:54 PM
(02-10-2014 09:17 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(02-10-2014 08:24 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  Let The Q give you the answer. If you disagree that you are morally accountable for love and hate because of an atheist predisposition toward determinism you have a cop out.

And you get yet another one wrong.

There is no "atheist predisposition toward determinism".

I see. You all believe in free will, eh? I've looked around this forum. That is the minority viewpoint here. Yes?

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-10-2014, 02:05 PM
(02-10-2014 01:54 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  
(02-10-2014 09:17 AM)Chas Wrote:  And you get yet another one wrong.

I see. You all believe in free will, eh? I've looked around this forum. That is the minority viewpoint here. Yes?

We all believe? You are confused. The only thing most of us agree on here is the lack of a belief in god(s). Anything after that is a crap shoot.
[+] 2 users Like pablo's post
02-10-2014, 04:38 PM
(02-10-2014 01:54 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  
(02-10-2014 09:17 AM)Chas Wrote:  And you get yet another one wrong.

Your 'logic' is execrable. You go from "not all X disbelieve Y" to "all X believe Y".

Rookie logic error. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
03-10-2014, 08:56 AM
(23-09-2014 04:19 PM)CiderThinker Wrote:  So I've seen a couple of friends lately asking overtly for prayers...

Can someone please take me inside the mind of someone who believes in an all-powerful, all-knowing god and yet still needs to ask other people to petition that god on their behalf?

What the actual fuck!?

I find it hilarious that your avatar fits perfectly with how I'd expect someone to look like when asking what you asked.Laugh out loadLaugh out load

You don't know anyone.
05-10-2014, 05:01 PM
(02-10-2014 04:38 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(02-10-2014 01:54 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  I see. You all believe in free will, eh? I've looked around this forum. That is the minority viewpoint here. Yes?

Your 'logic' is execrable. You go from "not all X disbelieve Y" to "all X believe Y".

Chas, you believe in free will, then?

Thanks.

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
05-10-2014, 05:09 PM
(05-10-2014 05:01 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  
(02-10-2014 04:38 PM)Chas Wrote:  Your 'logic' is execrable. You go from "not all X disbelieve Y" to "all X believe Y".

Chas, you believe in free will, then?

Thanks.

More bad logic. That is not a valid conclusion.

You really suck at this. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
05-10-2014, 05:10 PM
(03-10-2014 08:56 AM)naffonso Wrote:  
(23-09-2014 04:19 PM)CiderThinker Wrote:  So I've seen a couple of friends lately asking overtly for prayers...

Can someone please take me inside the mind of someone who believes in an all-powerful, all-knowing god and yet still needs to ask other people to petition that god on their behalf?

What the actual fuck!?

I find it hilarious that your avatar fits perfectly with how I'd expect someone to look like when asking what you asked.Laugh out loadLaugh out load

I'll assume that is a compliment!

Thumbsup

"Name me a moral statement made or moral action performed that could not have been made or done, by a non-believer..." - Christopher Hitchens

My youtube musings: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfFoxbz...UVi1pf4B5g
05-10-2014, 11:38 PM
I also think they theists might also believe that prayer might work like a democratic voting system.

OK! All in favor of Jim getting an operation for his sisters Crotch say AYE!

Then he waits for others to speak up lol.[/font]

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ