Aspiring business owner addressing religion in the workplace

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-01-2017, 12:48 PM
Aspiring business owner addressing religion in the workplace
I am currently second in command at a small business. This summer, I plan to purchase the business, and the current owner will be retiring. The current owner is a Christian, and I'm an open atheist. Religion rarely comes up at work, so I don't know the religious affiliation of the 15 employees other than 4 that I know are Christian, and one that is an atheist. Each year, we have Thanksgivng and Holiday dinners for the staff. The boss has always led a prayer, and some of the employees have remarked about how wonderful that is. Next year, when I am the owner, I'm not leading a prayer, not asking anyone else to. I'll simply say how much I appreciate their hard work over the past year, and how thankful I am our business is successful. That said, I also don't want anyone to feel th atheist boss is preventing them from practicing their religion. I'm trying to decide if it's best to just have a secular commentary about being thankful, and not bring up religion at all, or to actually address it and say "I'm not leading an official prayer, but feel free to pray if you'd like to". What do you think?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-01-2017, 12:58 PM
RE: Aspiring business owner addressing religion in the workplace
Your business.

Do as you see fit.

If that isn't clear, sell it and get a job.

People want to pray? Great. How about you just give them those days off?

Prayer for Thanksgiving? What, do they thank the lord for guns so they could massacre the Indians?

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
22-01-2017, 01:46 PM
"smoke 'em if you've got 'em" sorta thing, I'd say....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 2 users Like onlinebiker's post
22-01-2017, 01:51 PM
I think your first idea (giving general thanks and appreciation) is the better of the two. See how it goes for your time at the head of the table. If you get feedback afterwards that people are missing the prayer aspect, then go to option two in the years to come.

Congratulations on your buying the business, by the way!
[+] 2 users Like julep's post
22-01-2017, 02:04 PM
(22-01-2017 12:48 PM)beeglez Wrote:  I am currently second in command at a small business. This summer, I plan to purchase the business, and the current owner will be retiring. The current owner is a Christian, and I'm an open atheist. Religion rarely comes up at work, so I don't know the religious affiliation of the 15 employees other than 4 that I know are Christian, and one that is an atheist. Each year, we have Thanksgivng and Holiday dinners for the staff. The boss has always led a prayer, and some of the employees have remarked about how wonderful that is. Next year, when I am the owner, I'm not leading a prayer, not asking anyone else to. I'll simply say how much I appreciate their hard work over the past year, and how thankful I am our business is successful. That said, I also don't want anyone to feel th atheist boss is preventing them from practicing their religion. I'm trying to decide if it's best to just have a secular commentary about being thankful, and not bring up religion at all, or to actually address it and say "I'm not leading an official prayer, but feel free to pray if you'd like to". What do you think?
I think you just don't bring the topic up. It's likely that if the Christians want to pray, they may do so themselves before their meal, or whatever. It isn't necessary to acknowledge anyone's religion in a workplace, any more than it would be necessary to forbid religious expression that does no harm within the workplace.

Interesting story - I have had Islamic customers from overseas that were in my facility for extended product testing. I was asked to provide a room and seclusion, so that they may pray. And I respectfully did this for them, even though I'm not Muslim. To me, it was just being a courteous host.
[+] 4 users Like JHaysPE's post
22-01-2017, 02:08 PM
(22-01-2017 02:04 PM)JHaysPE Wrote:  I think you just don't bring the topic up.

I don't know this poster. hays or whatever. I do however agree.

This shit doesn't belong in this section.

Grow a pair.

And yeah, I am not the friendliest person here. Seen far too much actual shit to fuck with bullshit.

If you don't like it, go pray. Wink

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
22-01-2017, 03:09 PM
I just wouldn't bring it up.

You're not telling them they can't pray, so you aren't preventing them.

"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu."

[Image: parodia-michal-aniol-flying-spaghetti-monster.jpg]
22-01-2017, 03:34 PM
Thank them for their work and then ask if anyone else wants to say anything before you all eat.

If someone wants to say a prayer, so be it.

I feel so much, and yet I feel nothing.
I am a rock, I am the sky, the birds and the trees and everything beyond.
I am the wind, in the fields in which I roar. I am the water, in which I drown.
22-01-2017, 03:44 PM
Yep... I agree with the other guys. Just don't bring up the topic of religion. There's absolutely no need to, and remember that as their employer you have just as much right for them to respect your atheism.

And I'd definitely not say anything like "I'm not leading an official prayer, but feel free to pray if you'd like to" as that indirectly grants the religious right an opening to query your secular address. Additionally, there should be no time set aside in workplaces for prayer—if they wish to pray, then they go to church on their own time.

So thanks for another successful year and your diligence yadda yadda yadda... is the way to go. Good luck.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 2 users Like SYZ's post
22-01-2017, 03:59 PM
Just like politics, it is best to just leave that shit out of the workplace. Lead by example.
[+] 2 users Like skyking's post