Aspiring business owner addressing religion in the workplace

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-01-2017, 04:17 PM
RE: Aspiring business owner addressing religion in the workplace
Since the previous owner lead a prayer and you don't intend to, or to invite the Christians to pray themselves, this could be taken negatively.
Christians are a touchy bunch sometimes when you don't allow them to have special privileges. They may see it as an atheist persecuting their beliefs.
They may not say anything directly to you, but they could become resentful.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-01-2017, 04:20 PM
I disagree. If someone steps up, good for them. If not they can buck up and figure it out.
22-01-2017, 04:24 PM
(22-01-2017 02:08 PM)Banjo Wrote:  
(22-01-2017 02:04 PM)JHaysPE Wrote:  I think you just don't bring the topic up.

I don't know this poster. hays or whatever. I do however agree.

This shit doesn't belong in this section.

Grow a pair.

And yeah, I am not the friendliest person here. Seen far too much actual shit to fuck with bullshit.
If you don't like it, go pray. Wink

Well, seeing how this is Personal Issues and Support, I think it's the perfect place to bring it up. If you don't like reading it, feel free to move the fuck on to another post. If you've dealt with "real shit" and feel mine is "bullshit", then post about your real shit here, and let people help you, but fuck off with telling me what I can post and where.
[+] 2 users Like beeglez's post
22-01-2017, 04:43 PM (This post was last modified: 22-01-2017 04:48 PM by Momsurroundedbyboys.)
(22-01-2017 02:08 PM)Banjo Wrote:  
(22-01-2017 02:04 PM)JHaysPE Wrote:  I think you just don't bring the topic up.

I don't know this poster. hays or whatever. I do however agree.

This shit doesn't belong in this section.

Grow a pair.

And yeah, I am not the friendliest person here. Seen far too much actual shit to fuck with bullshit.

If you don't like it, go pray. Wink

Banjo, you know I love you, but this is personal issues and support, and I do think his thread belongs here because I believe he wants thoughtful and respectful answers.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 3 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
22-01-2017, 04:48 PM
(22-01-2017 12:48 PM)beeglez Wrote:  I am currently second in command at a small business. This summer, I plan to purchase the business, and the current owner will be retiring. The current owner is a Christian, and I'm an open atheist. Religion rarely comes up at work, so I don't know the religious affiliation of the 15 employees other than 4 that I know are Christian, and one that is an atheist. Each year, we have Thanksgivng and Holiday dinners for the staff. The boss has always led a prayer, and some of the employees have remarked about how wonderful that is. Next year, when I am the owner, I'm not leading a prayer, not asking anyone else to. I'll simply say how much I appreciate their hard work over the past year, and how thankful I am our business is successful. That said, I also don't want anyone to feel th atheist boss is preventing them from practicing their religion. I'm trying to decide if it's best to just have a secular commentary about being thankful, and not bring up religion at all, or to actually address it and say "I'm not leading an official prayer, but feel free to pray if you'd like to". What do you think?

Congrats on your new venture! It must be a very exciting time for you.

Honestly you might consider that you can thank people without talking about god -- they might not even notice. Or you could go with the moment of silence route too...if you find people do notice...

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
22-01-2017, 04:48 PM
(22-01-2017 12:48 PM)beeglez Wrote:  I am currently second in command at a small business. This summer, I plan to purchase the business, and the current owner will be retiring. The current owner is a Christian, and I'm an open atheist. Religion rarely comes up at work, so I don't know the religious affiliation of the 15 employees other than 4 that I know are Christian, and one that is an atheist. Each year, we have Thanksgivng and Holiday dinners for the staff. The boss has always led a prayer, and some of the employees have remarked about how wonderful that is. Next year, when I am the owner, I'm not leading a prayer, not asking anyone else to. I'll simply say how much I appreciate their hard work over the past year, and how thankful I am our business is successful. That said, I also don't want anyone to feel th atheist boss is preventing them from practicing their religion. I'm trying to decide if it's best to just have a secular commentary about being thankful, and not bring up religion at all, or to actually address it and say "I'm not leading an official prayer, but feel free to pray if you'd like to". What do you think?

You will be the new boss (congrats on that btw). Perfect reason for new traditions. I don't think I would make an announcement. Tell your employees how much you appreciate them and then invite to enjoy a meal and time together.

If someone really feels a need to pray...they can do so silently.

I wouldn't stress over it too much.

Congrats again.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
22-01-2017, 05:08 PM
Aspiring business owner addressing religion in the workplace
This is what I would do but it really depends on what mood I was in.

(If I felt like being a dick)
1. I would lead the prayer in such a way as to inspire the listeners to reflect on themselves as to why they aren't doing more as a Christian. It would be very charismatic and would make Jimmy Swaggart look like a chump.

People would be confused as to why and how an Atheist could do a better job than a real Christian. After the tears dried up, they would wonder if they were being mocked.

(If I wanted to be a genuinely good person)
2. I would make general statements about being grateful for the things we have and how much I appreciate everyone there.

I would ask if anyone there wanted to say anything to add to it or say a prayer. If they did then I would let them speak and act respectful.

I recommend that you go with 2.
[+] 1 user Likes KUSA's post
23-01-2017, 05:01 AM
(22-01-2017 04:43 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Banjo, you know I love you, but this is personal issues and support, and I do think his thread belongs here because I believe he wants thoughtful and respectful answers.

This is my thoughtful response.

One can only opine from the prism of one's own life.

Americans STOP trying to make ME an American.

I am AUSTRALIAN!!!!

This is how I speak to dear friends and they to me.

I don't wanna be American. You get that???

Love you too. However I am who I am or have become, whatever.

I've heard all the platitudes. I will NOT offer them to another. On pain of freaking death!

I'm talking like he's a mate.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
23-01-2017, 05:22 AM
(23-01-2017 05:01 AM)Banjo Wrote:  
(22-01-2017 04:43 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Banjo, you know I love you, but this is personal issues and support, and I do think his thread belongs here because I believe he wants thoughtful and respectful answers.

This is my thoughtful response.

One can only opine from the prism of one's own life.

Americans STOP trying to make ME an American.

I am AUSTRALIAN!!!!

This is how I speak to dear friends and they to me.

I don't wanna be American. You get that???

Love you too. However I am who I am or have become, whatever.

I've heard all the platitudes. I will NOT offer them to another. On pain of freaking death!

I'm talking like he's a mate.

You know, this might have something to do with why Sauron is your neighbor... Consider

[Image: main-qimg-c6fc94bfeea50b6e1fcb62502272f5..._webp=true]

Tongue

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
23-01-2017, 08:29 AM
(22-01-2017 03:34 PM)bemore Wrote:  Thank them for their work and then ask if anyone else wants to say anything before you all eat.

If someone wants to say a prayer, so be it.

I'd agree with this. You aren't introducing the idea of a prayer, but you are allowing others the opportunity to bring it up if they wish.

You'd be showing respect to everyone, regardless of faith (or lack thereof) by giving them the chance to say something, be it a prayer, or something else, without assuming that a) anyone would actually want to pray and b) that those of a different/no faith wouldn't also like to say a few words.
[+] 1 user Likes ukatheist's post