Aspiring business owner addressing religion in the workplace

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-01-2017, 09:06 AM
RE: Aspiring business owner addressing religion in the workplace
Congratulations on owning your own business! I own mine too...mostly because I am “as my wife likes to say” no longer employable. I have too many issues with people telling me what to do. Big Grin Except for her, I’m her slave.

I would forgo opening the door to prayers. A simple “I’d like to make a toast yadayadayada” keeps it secular. Imagine if you had multiple religions in the room and all of them wanted to “bless” the food in their own particular way, Thanks be to Jeebus! Thank you Allah! Thank you Spaghetti Monster!

Naw. Your place, your rules.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Full Circle's post
23-01-2017, 09:54 AM
That's where I am too. If somebody wants to say a prayer they can ask to do so.
26-01-2017, 07:47 AM
I've seen this from all sides and what I do is I give "Year End" bonuses around Thanksgiving. Most religious people seem to need money around that time of year. LOL! If they (the employees) buy X-mas presents with it, donate it to the FFRF, NRA, NAACP, KKK or take it "a buck at a time" to the strip club, it's their call. "F" the "holiday/christmas/winter solstice/whatever" party. What every employee does around that time of year is their business. I'd take the "party money" and give it out in cash. Money talks BS walks. Employees like cash. If you don't believe me, don't pay them for a week. How many employees really want to "have to" go to a office party anyway? I've been to parties where the boss stands up there like a crowing rooster half drunk and just looks silly. Trust me,,, try cash!

Mixing family with work is not always the best idea anyway and the last owner there shouldn't have forced prayer on anyone. You're always going to have a mix of people working for you. Separate your (and their) workplace from their (and your) personal lives as much as you can. Those two things are going to intermix MORE THAN YOU'LL WANT THEM TO anyway believe me and a party can turn into a train wreck.

If you're making jockstraps, worry about jockstraps. If you get the jockstraps right, you and your staff get to party all year long.
[+] 4 users Like Toney's post
26-01-2017, 08:55 AM
Nice post Toney. Good of you to defend the separation of work and home.