Ass over teakettle

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-08-2016, 11:38 AM
Ass over teakettle
I think that's the Brit saying...ass over teakettle? Not sure I understand the specifics, but the meaning is clear enough. I feel like I've been knocked ass over teakettle.

I'm just sort of browsing around on the forums, reading anything that catches my eye. Some of you, by the way, are very funny! And some of you are...well...just funny. Big Grin

But something I keep reading about is the difficulty so many have "coming out" as an atheist. I didn't even know this was a thing, until recently, and I feel like I cheated or something.
I have read so many freaking heartbreaking stories here- so many times the Texan in me wants to hop on a plane, fly over, and kick someone's ass for the way they've treated another. (That is one thing us Texans are good for- we'll fight to the death for a friend or anyone we see as an underdog)
I can't grasp how someone's own friends and family could disown them or treat them miserably or pull away from them just because they decide they believe something different about an issue that has no proof in the first place.
Even more disturbing, the people doing the evil deeds are the ones who claim they have found the secret to eternal life and love and happiness and forgiveness! If that doesn't make you want to pull out your old .45 and thin out the gene pool, I don't know what does. I despise hypocrisy.
The church is very good at recruitment. That's sort of it's main gig, you know? Yet this attitude of "my way or the highway" seems to be slowly (maybe not so slowly) driving the flock away. You'd think the powers-that-be would recognize this and modify their approach, but I assume they've gotten too complacent with what has, after all, worked for millennia.

I just want you all to know I feel for you, and if there's anything I can do- from "shut up and listen" onwards...I'm here for you. You have the right to believe whatever makes sense to you, fight the brainwashing. Your brain is clean enough.

I'm just stuck, myself, but luckily not due to friends and family.
I disagree with the basic tenets of liberalism, I don't feel that heroin addicts or alcoholics are victims, I feel that you have to live with the consequences of your actions, I believe some people aren't worth saving- thus the death penalty- and I believe people should support themselves. So I don't get along well in a room full of liberals- US liberals, let me just add.
Yet the conservative republican war cry seems to be "The US will never be great again until we have God back in our schools and courthouses and public urinals!"

Sorry...didn't we leave England under a black flag, fairly recently, for- among other things- separation of church and state? WTF is freedom of religion if it only applies to the state accepted religion?

Grrr... Man without a country. I'm tempted to go back and live in Costa Rica again, a civilized country where an honest bribe is respected and honored.

Sorry for the rant, the people trying to balance a life of lies so their own families won't desert them pisses me off. I know it isn't this simple for most, but for me...I don't need a family like that anyway.

Insert Hulk-like growl here. 175db.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 7 users Like The Dark One's post
11-08-2016, 12:41 PM
RE: Ass over teakettle
(11-08-2016 11:38 AM)The Dark One Wrote:  I think that's the Brit saying...ass over teakettle? Not sure I understand the specifics, but the meaning is clear enough. I feel like I've been knocked ass over teakettle.

I'm just sort of browsing around on the forums, reading anything that catches my eye. Some of you, by the way, are very funny! And some of you are...well...just funny. Big Grin

But something I keep reading about is the difficulty so many have "coming out" as an atheist. I didn't even know this was a thing, until recently, and I feel like I cheated or something.
I have read so many freaking heartbreaking stories here- so many times the Texan in me wants to hop on a plane, fly over, and kick someone's ass for the way they've treated another. (That is one thing us Texans are good for- we'll fight to the death for a friend or anyone we see as an underdog)
I can't grasp how someone's own friends and family could disown them or treat them miserably or pull away from them just because they decide they believe something different about an issue that has no proof in the first place.
Even more disturbing, the people doing the evil deeds are the ones who claim they have found the secret to eternal life and love and happiness and forgiveness! If that doesn't make you want to pull out your old .45 and thin out the gene pool, I don't know what does. I despise hypocrisy.
The church is very good at recruitment. That's sort of it's main gig, you know? Yet this attitude of "my way or the highway" seems to be slowly (maybe not so slowly) driving the flock away. You'd think the powers-that-be would recognize this and modify their approach, but I assume they've gotten too complacent with what has, after all, worked for millennia.

I just want you all to know I feel for you, and if there's anything I can do- from "shut up and listen" onwards...I'm here for you. You have the right to believe whatever makes sense to you, fight the brainwashing. Your brain is clean enough.

I'm just stuck, myself, but luckily not due to friends and family.
I disagree with the basic tenets of liberalism, I don't feel that heroin addicts or alcoholics are victims, I feel that you have to live with the consequences of your actions, I believe some people aren't worth saving- thus the death penalty- and I believe people should support themselves. So I don't get along well in a room full of liberals- US liberals, let me just add.
Yet the conservative republican war cry seems to be "The US will never be great again until we have God back in our schools and courthouses and public urinals!"

Sorry...didn't we leave England under a black flag, fairly recently, for- among other things- separation of church and state? WTF is freedom of religion if it only applies to the state accepted religion?

Grrr... Man without a country. I'm tempted to go back and live in Costa Rica again, a civilized country where an honest bribe is respected and honored.

Sorry for the rant, the people trying to balance a life of lies so their own families won't desert them pisses me off. I know it isn't this simple for most, but for me...I don't need a family like that anyway.

Insert Hulk-like growl here. 175db.

Hear, hear!
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post
11-08-2016, 12:49 PM
At work.

There's also "Ass over tit"

Big Grin
11-08-2016, 01:30 PM
You certainly have surprised me, I didn't know there were people like you, goes to show how much I know.

Your empathy towards those who have suffered greatly at the "caring" hands of the holier-than-thou religious woo peddlers is commendable and at the same time surprising to me, but not sure why.

You strike me as a person who is very self-reliant and able to lead your life on your own terms, qualities that many of the younger atheists struggle with especially being under their parent's roof or those who find themselves in a marriage that is struggling because of religion.

In the four years I've been on the forum I've heard some absolutely heart breaking stories and the protective part of me gets wound up too, like yours has and the most we can do is lend an ear and occasionally give some good advice.

A bit of a ramble I know but I felt compelled to respond to your heartfelt post.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
11-08-2016, 02:10 PM
Quote: There's also "Ass over tit"

LOL...crazy Brits and their crazy sayings- I love 'em. I visit a few times each year, typically, and I always come home with hilarious pub stories.

If you say "I'm going to go smoke a fag" in Texas, it means you're about to shoot a gay man.

You really have to be careful. Big Grin
11-08-2016, 02:19 PM
Quote:A bit of a ramble I know but I felt compelled to respond to your heartfelt post.

Well, thank you, FC. I appreciate that. I had to become pretty self confident and self reliant, living in Texas as both an atheist and a man who shares his emotions. I don't break down and cry for no reason, lol...but I tell people that I care about them and I share more than just anger and happiness, the two emotions allowed by the Texas constitution. I refuse to live by anyone else's terms, and since I'm not a small man and I always have a gun on me, well...I get my way. Laughat

No, but seriously, giving advice to these folks is hard, for me. What I would do, and what I could get away with in my situation, isn't necessarily correct for their world. "Do no harm" is a good rule for more than just physicians.

I guess I'm rambling myself. Must be thursday. I never could get the hang of thursdays...

Cheers!
11-08-2016, 02:29 PM
(11-08-2016 02:19 PM)The Dark One Wrote:  
Quote:A bit of a ramble I know but I felt compelled to respond to your heartfelt post.

Well, thank you, FC. I appreciate that. I had to become pretty self confident and self reliant, living in Texas as both an atheist and a man who shares his emotions. I don't break down and cry for no reason, lol...but I tell people that I care about them and I share more than just anger and happiness, the two emotions allowed by the Texas constitution. I refuse to live by anyone else's terms, and since I'm not a small man and I always have a gun on me, well...I get my way. Laughat

No, but seriously, giving advice to these folks is hard, for me. What I would do, and what I could get away with in my situation, isn't necessarily correct for their world. "Do no harm" is a good rule for more than just physicians.

I guess I'm rambling myself. Must be thursday. I never could get the hang of thursdays...

Cheers!

Perhaps the best we can do is let them know we care even if we are but faceless strangers on the internet and that they aren't alone.

I wish I would have had this place when I was a teenager.

Anyway, it's good we feel the same way. Thumbsup

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
11-08-2016, 02:50 PM
Quote:Anyway, it's good we feel the same way. Thumbsup

Agreed! Bowing I appreciate your openness. Big Grin
11-08-2016, 10:50 PM
(11-08-2016 02:29 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  I wish I would have had this place when I was a teenager.

Fek! I wish I'd had the internet when I was a teenager!.

(Used t' lick gravel off't road w'it tongue!)

Blush

Yes, I'm old... Tongue
[+] 2 users Like Peebothuhul's post
11-08-2016, 10:53 PM
.....Or scrub it outta the knees with a toof brush, after bicycle crashes.