Assalamo alaikum

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-08-2015, 03:32 AM
Assalamo alaikum
All praise is for Allah.

Hello everyone, you guys can call me pi if my username is confusing. I am a Muslim as you have probably figured out. I hope to have constructive talks with you guys, free from any narrow mindedness.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-08-2015, 03:52 AM
RE: Assalamo alaikum
(06-08-2015 03:32 AM)π¶∆ Wrote:  ...
I hope to have constructive talks with you guys, free from any narrow mindedness.

I hope that too.

Welcome to TTA. Pull up a chair.

Smile

06-08-2015, 04:10 AM
(06-08-2015 03:32 AM)π¶∆ Wrote:  All praise is for Allah.

Hello everyone, you guys can call me pi if my username is confusing. I am a Muslim as you have probably figured out. I hope to have constructive talks with you guys, free from any narrow mindedness.

Welcome Smile

... I assume that you want to talk about Islam? Do feel free, but be aware that you will receive diverse reactions, and a lot depends on your perceived attitude towards us - if for example you come across antagonistic or react badly to being insulted then things can degenerate rather quickly.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
06-08-2015, 04:11 AM
(06-08-2015 03:52 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(06-08-2015 03:32 AM)π¶∆ Wrote:  ...
I hope to have constructive talks with you guys, free from any narrow mindedness.

I hope that too.

Smile
Thank you. I've read the rules but still what are the do's and don't's of this place? Is it OK to tell a person who says he is scared of hell that it is worth a place being scared of? Or is recovering from religion section etc for pro atheist conversations only?
06-08-2015, 05:17 AM
(06-08-2015 04:11 AM)π¶∆ Wrote:  
(06-08-2015 03:52 AM)DLJ Wrote:  I hope that too.

Smile
Thank you. I've read the rules but still what are the do's and don't's of this place? Is it OK to tell a person who says he is scared of hell that it is worth a place being scared of? Or is recovering from religion section etc for pro atheist conversations only?

That section would seem to be, by its very title, for people who have left religion behind.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-08-2015, 05:36 AM
(06-08-2015 05:17 AM)Chas Wrote:  That section would seem to be, by its very title, for people who have left religion behind.

No harm seeing if one can suck them back right? Maybe it's not woo per se, but the *brand* that they have a problem with Smile

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
06-08-2015, 05:56 AM
(06-08-2015 04:11 AM)π¶∆ Wrote:  ...
Is it OK to tell a person who says he is scared of hell that it is worth a place being scared of? Or is recovering from religion section etc for pro atheist conversations only?

It's OK to say pretty much anything you like.

In that example, of course you should expect to be asked to support your claim with evidence.

Can I ask whether you consider yourself a scholar regarding Allah etc. or just a fan?

If the former, I look forward to picking your brains on the subject.

Cheers.

06-08-2015, 06:07 AM (This post was last modified: 06-08-2015 06:18 AM by Hafnof.)
(06-08-2015 04:11 AM)π¶∆ Wrote:  Thank you. I've read the rules but still what are the do's and don't's of this place? Is it OK to tell a person who says he is scared of hell that it is worth a place being scared of? Or is recovering from religion section etc for pro atheist conversations only?

Do: Explain what you believe and why you believe it
Do: Listen carefully to the views of others
Don't: Assume you know what atheists believe or what they think
Do: Bring evidence to back up your claims
Don't: Expect to come up with any argument we haven't heard a hundred times before
Do: Talk about topics other than religion
Do: Engage with the community and understand we are all imperfect individuals and all human beings
Do: Expect things to get heated at times

Sorry in advance but you're probably going to be treated unfairly at least some of the time. This is our living room you're wandering into. Some of us won't bother engaging with you because we already know the arguments you will bring forth. Some will engage you fairly. Some will use you for sport. You'll get all kinds.

I don't think you'll be banned for explaining your beliefs about hell, but I were you I wouldn't make a habit of targeting any particular individual with threats or threatening language.

If you are thinking of responding to someone's request for help or emotional support with threats of hellfire then I don't expect you'll last long. If you can't say something nice in a thread like that my counsel would be not to say anything at all. Rather start a thread in a more appropriate section and discuss your ideas there.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 16 users Like Hafnof's post
06-08-2015, 06:35 AM
Welcome aboard. Smile

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
06-08-2015, 07:03 AM
Welcome. If you mess with people as they talk about personal issues, whether they be connected to escaping indoctrination or otherwise, you will not last long here.

If you have come to have discussions about your religion or anything else with members who are interested in discussing it, we welcome that.

Be aware that atheists are individuals and don't have anything in common with each other but the lack of belief in gods. This is often hard to understand for people who come from an organized religion where masses of people all think along the same lines. This is the barrier that most religious people here run into - they assume all atheists think along the same lines. We do not.

If you want to know more about what people here think, read this section: http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...ion-story+ That thread is NOT a discussion thread but a support thread.

May you have a pleasant stay here. Drinking Beverage

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 6 users Like Dom's post