Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-08-2015, 02:45 PM
RE: Assalamo alaikum
Thank you guys!
Find all posts by this user
06-08-2015, 08:19 PM
(06-08-2015 06:07 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  Don't: Assume you know what atheists believe or what they think

To clarify: Try not to tell individual members what they believe. When people seem offended when you tell them what they believe, consider taking a moment to ask them what they believe rather than telling them. There's no point asking someone here to defend a statement made by someone else. There is no point telling us what atheists believe any more than us telling you what Muslims believe. We should ask you about your beliefs and you should ask us what we believe. Neither of us should be expected to defend views we don't hold nor should we be expected to be ambassadors for everyone who uses the same label as we do.

The more you ask and listen and address arguments actually made by individuals here the longer you'll last. The more you tell us what we think and argue against strawmen or assume all atheists believe a single thing the more quickly you'll lose this community's respect and support.

I for one hope you'll walk the path of respect for individual views and arguments so that you can actually share with us a point of view we may not have thought about from time to time. Diversity is welcome here. I welcome diversity and a free exchange of ideas.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 3 users Like Hafnof's post
06-08-2015, 09:07 PM
Personally, I am a friend to several Muslims, whom I came to know in my time wrongfully incarcerated (the US has a large number of Muslims in the prison population, many of whom converted after their imprisonment), and whom I came to admire in many ways, despite our often fierce disagreements on the subject of religion. I found them, overall, much more respectful of my beliefs (or lack thereof) than most Christians I have known.

There is a sub-branch of Muslim within the system, typically associated with the "Nation of Islam", which is quite militant and hostile to both reason and outsiders, and which I oppose with every fiber of my being.

It is not restricted to Muslims, of course; any religious group or other social movement will contain its radicals and its True Believers™ who cannot be reasoned with. We oppose any and all such people. If you maintain an open mind and do not presume that Special Revelation trumps the Scientific Method, you'll probably do all right here.

I hope that this is the case; we can always use other perspectives in here from reasoning people of faith.

And peace be with you. Smile

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
06-08-2015, 09:32 PM
(06-08-2015 07:06 AM)π¶∆ Wrote:  l I am well versed in Islam and
feel free to ask questions and have an open not critical mind.

Shocking Hobo Sadcryface

You're in the wrong place bub!

We are critical thinkers.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
07-08-2015, 10:27 AM
(06-08-2015 02:45 PM)π¶∆ Wrote:  Thank you guys!

Welcome, and sure, we can discuss Islam. I have some extensive experience with Islam, and Muslims. Even though I am an atheist, I own a business and have a young Muslim employed here.

Having problems with your computer? Visit our Free Tech Support thread for help!