Assange granted Asylum

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-08-2012, 05:26 PM
Assange granted Asylum
So heres the lowdown...... Julian Assange (founder of wikileaks) took refuge in Ecuadors Embassy in London over two months ago after failed appeals not to be extradited to sweden.

2-3 days ago the UK goverment sent Ecuador a letter saying they will call in a 1989 UK law that states that they can literally storm the building to get him if they will not hand him over.

So now Ecuador has granted him asylum.... although the UK goverment has said there is zero chance of him being granted safe passage out of the UK.

Ecuador has been in touch with Swedish Authorities and said they can come over here to interview Assange which they have rejected, even though previously they have done this when they visited a prisoner in Serbia, Russia.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-19281492

Im thinking that eventually my goverment will storm the building with police and arrest Assange, they wont give a fuck about Ecuador, Assange will be flown to Sweden where the case will either collapse and he will then be sent to America where its goodbye from then on Sad

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-08-2012, 05:40 PM
RE: Assange granted Asylum
Hes up on rape charges why would anyone grant him asylum. It's entirely possible he has information on someone high up in their government, or the kind of information he can get his hands on is usefull to them.

It would be different if he wouldn't get a fair trial or something.
16-08-2012, 06:17 PM
(16-08-2012 05:40 PM)FSM_scot Wrote:  It would be different if he wouldn't get a fair trial or something.

From what I understand it used to (and still does in some cases) operate this way.

They make a case for a UK court to see what he is charged with, the court is then shown all of the evidence and makes it own decision if it thinks it thinks the case is worthy and deserves to be looked into justice wise....... and hence lending weight and reason for extraditing (or the new term "Judicial Surrender") that person.

This isnt the case though with Assange.

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
16-08-2012, 06:28 PM
Isn't that what happened though? I'm sure there was a court hearing about him last year. I've not been following the case so I only know. Bits and pieces.
16-08-2012, 07:29 PM
I don't actually think he's even still there. Britain would never storm the complex, as it sets a terrible precedent. With all the who-ha of the Olympics, and the Jubilee, why wouldn't they just sneak him out as an employee of a service company, in a wig or something, when the authorities are busy with other things ?
50/50, he's not even there, anymore, or won't be for long.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist
Isaiah 45:7 "I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things" (KJV)

16-08-2012, 07:51 PM
Actually I think I remember all this now.

Let me get this straight. He is being charged for something sexual related in Sweden, so the UK want to ship him off over their but he feels that if he goes over to Sweden then he will be sent back to the US and charged with all this releasing secret documents and shit, right?

And so now what you are saying is Ecuador, for whatever reason, wants to give him safe passage. He must have really pissed off the Uk if they want to storm a diplomatic embassy, shit could start a war...

I don't talk gay, I don't walk gay, it's like people don't even know I'm gay unless I'm blowing them.
[Image: 10h27hu.jpg]
16-08-2012, 07:52 PM
Is he now like Osama was where his location will turn into a wikipedia page?

-summum ius, summa iniuria.-M. T. Cicero
-I will show you fear in a handful of dust.-T.S. Eliot
-
ἡ φύσις οὐδὲν ποιεῖ ἅλματα

[+] 1 user Likes il_bandit's post
16-08-2012, 09:21 PM
He should stand trial in Sweden. But there is no way he should be sent to the US.
All this extradition shit pisses me off. There have been a few high profile cases of UK citizens having to fight extradition to the US. To stand trial for breaking the laws of a country they have never set foot in. Some of the things they are wanted for aren't even illegal here.
16-08-2012, 09:57 PM
Just some clarification, here.

The USA government is severely pissed-off with Assange. They want him taken care of... but he isn't in a 3rd world country, where they can have him dealt with, without anyone knowing about it.

Sweden and the UK will be under pressure to deal with Assange. The suggested threat of trade sanctions, troubled business deals... whatever... no country wants to piss off the world's only superpower™ for the sake of an individual who isn't even a citizen of their's.

The alleged sexual-assault case had already been dropped/ignored back when it first allegedly happened. It mysteriously resurfaced after Wikileaks splurged the world with lots of diplomatic chatter that those involved had preferred to remain secret. Assange has every right to be doubtful over his chances of a fair trial... and what might happen afterwards, whether he's found innocent or guilty.

The threat from the UK to remove the diplomatic status of the embassy was a stupid one, made by a member of a stupid government (one of David Cameron's lackeys). And not just because of the significance of the Olympics... but also because the UK needs to keep (and maintain) as many friends in South America as it can, as Argentina is doing their best to isolate the UK there, due to their flacidly bogus claim to the Falkland Islands.

It's all such a massive cock-up... by all concerned.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Red Celt's post
16-08-2012, 10:14 PM
Governments always concoct trumped up charges against people they can't otherwise obtain. I too would be scared if I was him.

Humankind Dodgy (a total misnomer)
[+] 3 users Like aurora's post