Assange granted Asylum

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-08-2012, 10:35 PM
RE: Assange granted Asylum
(16-08-2012 09:21 PM)FSM_scot Wrote:  He should stand trial in Sweden. But there is no way he should be sent to the US.
All this extradition shit pisses me off. There have been a few high profile cases of UK citizens having to fight extradition to the US. To stand trial for breaking the laws of a country they have never set foot in. Some of the things they are wanted for aren't even illegal here.

Yea, reminds me of thepiratebay. They've moved to Sweden now, they constantly get law suit threats from major companies but they just laugh because Swedish laws allow them to do what they do and so they're not subject to US laws.

I wonder if the same applies here. Like this guy leaked secret information but if he wasn't in the US how can he be charged under US laws?

It's sort of a loophole in a way. Its a loophole that allows piracy of intellectual information anyway.

Quote:due to their flacidly bogus claim to the Falkland Islands.

The UK has more claim over those islands then Argentina.

I don't talk gay, I don't walk gay, it's like people don't even know I'm gay unless I'm blowing them.
[Image: 10h27hu.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-08-2012, 11:17 PM
(16-08-2012 10:35 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  Yea, reminds me of thepiratebay. They've moved to Sweden now, they constantly get law suit threats from major companies but they just laugh because Swedish laws allow them to do what they do and so they're not subject to US laws.

Uhm... they were always in Sweden.

(16-08-2012 10:35 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  The UK has more claim over those islands then Argentina.

Yes, they do. They once "belonged" to Spain, and after Argentina gained independence, they somehow thought that Spain's former possession somehow belonged to them. The recent sabre-rattling from Argentina is purely for political gain... and (unsurprisingly) the recent moves towards the extraction of oil from Falkland's waters. Nothing like a bit of oil to get a country interested in owning the assets.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
16-08-2012, 11:53 PM (This post was last modified: 16-08-2012 11:58 PM by Janus.)
(16-08-2012 07:29 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  [...] Britain would never storm the complex, as it sets a terrible precedent.

They did it before. In the eighties. Had the SAS storm an embassy in the middle of London. Something with Lybyan ter'rists if I recall. So they have already set a precedent. And can do it again.

Quote:With all the who-ha of the Olympics, and the Jubilee, why wouldn't they just sneak him out as an employee of a service company, in a wig or something, when the authorities are busy with other things ?
50/50, he's not even there, anymore, or won't be for long.

If he wasn't already out of there last week, he will certainly not get out undetected anymore now, with the whole world press laying siege to the Ecuadorian embassy. And out of the embassy is one thing, but getting out of the country and all the way to Ecuador without getting intercepted and nabbed along the way by hounding UK and US acronyms is an entirely different thing again!

Anybody got a tele transporter for the guy?
17-08-2012, 12:20 AM
And even if he manages to get to Ecuador, he will never be safe. Because the CIA will kidnap him if they can. And how difficult can that be in a South American country, eh? They do it all the time with drug barons.
Ecuador knows this and feels justifiably vulnerable vis-a-vis the ruthless gringos. That's why they are seeking support from their latin brethren, the other latino countries, as we speak.
17-08-2012, 04:45 AM
(16-08-2012 11:17 PM)Red Celt Wrote:  
(16-08-2012 10:35 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  Yea, reminds me of thepiratebay. They've moved to Sweden now, they constantly get law suit threats from major companies but they just laugh because Swedish laws allow them to do what they do and so they're not subject to US laws.

Uhm... they were always in Sweden.

(16-08-2012 10:35 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  The UK has more claim over those islands then Argentina.

Yes, they do. They once "belonged" to Spain, and after Argentina gained independence, they somehow thought that Spain's former possession somehow belonged to them. The recent sabre-rattling from Argentina is purely for political gain... and (unsurprisingly) the recent moves towards the extraction of oil from Falkland's waters. Nothing like a bit of oil to get a country interested in owning the assets.

Hmm, I knew they were always in Sweden, I don't know why I said they moved there. The point still stands. Dodgy

Thought you said the UK claim was 'bogus', but I see you meant Argentina.
It wont matter anyway, Argentina is not getting their hands on those islands while the people are primarily and very much wish to stay primarily, British.

As for the storming of the embassy, that Lybia thing if it was for terrorist, well.. terrorists are a little different to this man. Though not in the eyes of the US I'm sure... Dodgy
Saw a news article on our news tonight (I was completely shocked, something out side this shitty country...). Apparently he's gonna make an announcement tomorrow.
They have friggin police officers waiting right outside the door. Talk about waste of police resources.

I don't talk gay, I don't walk gay, it's like people don't even know I'm gay unless I'm blowing them.
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
17-08-2012, 04:59 AM
(17-08-2012 04:45 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  Thought you said the UK claim was 'bogus', but I see you meant Argentina.
It wont matter anyway, Argentina is not getting their hands on those islands while the people are primarily and very much wish to stay primarily, British.

Well, exactly. The UK's opponents (Argentina and every South American country that they've gotten on their side) see the UK's interest as some sort of colonial hangup.

Which is utter bullshit. We're interested in the Falklands (and will protect them from further invasions) because the occupants see themselves as British. If the islands were depopulated, we couldn't give a flying fuck who claims them as their own. We'd be grateful at not having the cost of protecting them.

The same is true of Northern Ireland, btw. It has nothing to do with the former days of Empire. That was a very different time, and a world-view of a different generation... that modern Brits are still having to deal with. Empires are bad; self-determination is good.
17-08-2012, 05:30 AM
I think the SAS storming the embassy in the 80s is a different kettle of fish to the Assange situation. I imagine that they will keep a huge police presence there.... get the mainstream to report how much a waste of resources it is to gain the trust of the public whilst they continue "negotiations" with Ecuador.

I see absolutley no way of them getting Assange to any sort of boat/aeroplane without the police busting him first...... so I just see it as a matter of time before they do go in there to get him Undecided

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
17-08-2012, 06:08 AM
I'm sure it was answered somewhere but whatever, but why is Ecuador offering him asylum status in the first place?

17-08-2012, 06:52 AM
(17-08-2012 06:08 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  I'm sure it was answered somewhere but whatever, but why is Ecuador offering him asylum status in the first place?

My guess would be a lack of extradition treaties (with the USA).
17-08-2012, 07:05 AM
(17-08-2012 06:52 AM)Red Celt Wrote:  
(17-08-2012 06:08 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  I'm sure it was answered somewhere but whatever, but why is Ecuador offering him asylum status in the first place?

My guess would be a lack of extradition treaties (with the USA).

Yeah I get that, but that doesn't explain why Ecuador would stick their neck out to give this guy asylum.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Deported back to Germany- no asylum for homeschoolers Bows and Arrows 22 572 06-03-2014 10:04 PM
Last Post: Taqiyya Mockingbird
  Wikileaks: Julian Assange arrest warrant arrives in UK GassyKitten 17 1,492 10-12-2010 04:33 PM
Last Post: gaglamesh731