Assange granted Asylum

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-08-2012, 07:40 AM
RE: Assange granted Asylum
(17-08-2012 07:05 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  Yeah I get that, but that doesn't explain why Ecuador would stick their neck out to give this guy asylum.

Well, asylum has only just been granted... after they were threatened by the UK government. They have balls (and don't like being told what to do). Good on them. Smile
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-08-2012, 07:48 AM
So it's a retaliation thing.
You threaten us, we'll offer safe passage to someone you want to get at.

Sucks for what's-his-face, being used as a pawn. He's only safe for as long as the game goes on.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
23-08-2012, 07:49 AM
The whole rape charge seems to be scraping the barrel a little bit for me.

To be honest I'm not sure I with the whole 'rape is rape' way of thinking. From what I understand he's accused of waking someone up with sex after they had just spent the night together. I don't really know where I stand on the rights and wrongs of that, without being a woman who's been in that situation there's no real way of knowing. However, I really don't think you can compare it to a strange guy jumping out of a park bush on a dark night with a knife.

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
23-08-2012, 07:52 AM
(23-08-2012 07:49 AM)Hughsie Wrote:  The whole rape charge seems to be scraping the barrel a little bit for me.

To be honest I disagree with the whole 'rape is rape' way of thinking. From what I understand he's accused of waking someone up with sex after they had just spent the night together. I don't really know where I stand on the rights and wrongs of that, without being a woman who's been in that situation there's no real way of knowing. However, I really don't think you can compare it to a strange guy jumping out of a park bush on a dark night with a knife.

If he stuck it in without permission then legally... he gotta go down.
23-08-2012, 07:56 AM
(23-08-2012 07:52 AM)morondog Wrote:  If he stuck it in without permission then legally... he gotta go down.

Depends on the details of the law. Some countries make distinctions on whether the defendant has reason to believe consent has been given. If you had sex with someone a couple of hours ago does that give you cause to think they're OK with the idea?

I don't know where I stand on this case, either legally or morally. I'm just trying to understand it from every angle.

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
23-08-2012, 08:09 AM
(23-08-2012 07:56 AM)Hughsie Wrote:  
(23-08-2012 07:52 AM)morondog Wrote:  If he stuck it in without permission then legally... he gotta go down.

Depends on the details of the law. Some countries make distinctions on whether the defendant has reason to believe consent has been given. If you had sex with someone a couple of hours ago does that give you cause to think they're OK with the idea?

I don't know where I stand on this case, either legally or morally. I'm just trying to understand it from every angle.

It seems perfectly reasonable to believe the rape charge is entirely invented. This is a conspiracy theory that is actually credible.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
23-08-2012, 08:11 AM
He is only wanted for questioning in relation to the allegations, he hasn't been charged or anything.

The entire situation seems very suspicious... but, y'all already know that. Big Grin

[Image: opforum1.png]
23-08-2012, 08:59 AM
I have reserved judgement on this entire situation since it began. There is far too much going on here that hasn't been leaked.

[Image: 86892.jpg]

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]
23-08-2012, 09:55 AM
Yeah, the thing that smells fishy to me here is the fact that he hasn't been charged. He made himself available for questioning when this was first going down and was given permission to leave Sweden at that time. The warrant that was issued subsequently is not to face charges, but to face questioning... and by all official accounts there is nothing stopping Swedish officials doing this in the UK.

If he is potentially guilty of a crime let him face justice. There is the extra complication here that it seems unlikely that the acts if proven would constitute a crime in the UK, Australia, the US, or various other places... but I'm prepared to give these laws the benefit of the doubt as being proactively protective of abuse victims and ahead of the world until proven otherwise on that one.

So yes, the thing that concerns me is that amidst this obvious diplomatic pressure that the legal system is buckling and is not currently offering Assange the appearance of due process. To me if he were charged with a crime then I would tend to back the extradition, but in the absence of a charge and in the absence of Swedish officials going for a drive and talking to him where he is... I don't like it.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 1 user Likes Hafnof's post