Assistance for a Fellow Atheist?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-05-2012, 07:07 PM
RE: Assistance for a Fellow Atheist?
(17-05-2012 06:39 PM)pppgggr Wrote:  I've recently talked to her about it again, and now she's switched from calling herself an Atheist, to calling herself Agnostic. I asked her what she meant by Agnostic, and she simply said that she has no religion, has no God, but is unsure as to whether or not there is a higher power. I told her that this means she's an Atheist. She denied it. This is a facepalm moment for me. Though this did solve my predicament, it also means that my sister has no idea what she's talking about.

Nope. It means your sister has a much better idea of what she's talking about than you. [Image: a57910b0ce28.gif]

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-05-2012, 08:35 PM
(17-05-2012 07:07 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(17-05-2012 06:39 PM)pppgggr Wrote:  I've recently talked to her about it again, and now she's switched from calling herself an Atheist, to calling herself Agnostic. I asked her what she meant by Agnostic, and she simply said that she has no religion, has no God, but is unsure as to whether or not there is a higher power. I told her that this means she's an Atheist. She denied it. This is a facepalm moment for me. Though this did solve my predicament, it also means that my sister has no idea what she's talking about.

Nope. It means your sister has a much better idea of what she's talking about than you. [Image: a57910b0ce28.gif]
If you don't have a religion, or believe in God, you're an Atheist. Simple as that.
[+] 1 user Likes pppgggr's post
17-05-2012, 09:19 PM
(17-05-2012 08:35 PM)pppgggr Wrote:  
(17-05-2012 07:07 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Nope. It means your sister has a much better idea of what she's talking about than you. [Image: a57910b0ce28.gif]
If you don't have a religion, or believe in God, you're an Atheist. Simple as that.
Nope. But it's easiest to run with that label.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
18-05-2012, 12:22 AM
(17-05-2012 09:19 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(17-05-2012 08:35 PM)pppgggr Wrote:  If you don't have a religion, or believe in God, you're an Atheist. Simple as that.
Nope. But it's easiest to run with that label.
I put some more thought into it, and I realized that I was wrong there. She stated that she's unsure of a higher power, and Atheism doesn't necessarily refer to a god, nor does a higher power. Some religions believe in spirits. I need to think these things through more....
18-05-2012, 02:37 AM
A young padawan again! Education is in order, don't you agree, hmm?

So, The Atheist is a person who does not believe in God, any entity that can be described as God, or any type of higher power that can be called A God. We do not think that there is anything like that, we do not even leave the option of being wrong. We are right and we know that for a fact (even if we don't in reality).

An Agnostic is a person who does not follow any religion or cult and does not believe in any God as we know. But, an agnostic does not rule out that there might be some kind of higher power, because to be honest, no one can know that for sure, so they tend to keep an open mind there. There is the possibility that some kind of higher entity exists, although they do not believe in it, nor worship it. But they believe that it is possible that something might be there.

So, yeah, your sister has educated herself more than you did about the subject, time to hit the books dawg!

Smile

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atheist

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agnostic

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
18-05-2012, 02:44 AM
(18-05-2012 02:37 AM)Filox Wrote:  A young padawan again! Education is in order, don't you agree, hmm?

So, The Atheist is a person who does not believe in God, any entity that can be described as God, or any type of higher power that can be called A God. We do not think that there is anything like that, we do not even leave the option of being wrong. We are right and we know that for a fact (even if we don't in reality).

An Agnostic is a person who does not follow any religion or cult and does not believe in any God as we know. But, an agnostic does not rule out that there might be some kind of higher power, because to be honest, no one can know that for sure, so they tend to keep an open mind there. There is the possibility that some kind of higher entity exists, although they do not believe in it, nor worship it. But they believe that it is possible that something might be there.

So, yeah, your sister has educated herself more than you did about the subject, time to hit the books dawg!

Smile

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atheist

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agnostic
You should have read my earlier post. I knew the meanings, I just didn't think into it when I made the statement.
18-05-2012, 03:06 AM
Well we had a topic on this before and being agnostic isn't in between atheism and theism. The simple fact is, theists believe in a God and Atheists don't. Agnostics state that they don't know but believing in God is a yes or no answer so stating that you don't know basically states you as an atheist since you don't believe in god but aren't ruling them out.

I'm an agnostic but I'm a hundred percent an atheist against the god of the bible, Torah, Quran, book of Mormon, Dianetics or whatever mumbo jumbo the religious make up. There could be a being that started things but it isn't one of any of these religions and it definitely isn't perfect or what we claim it to be.

Also, yes I have been called satanic but if your family truly calls you that than they don't deserve to be called your family. I believe you just need to continue on. I never slowed down but be wary people will try to challenge you but remember you have evidence and rationality on your side.

"Mankind must put an end to war, or war will put an end to mankind." -John F Kennedy

The way to see by Faith is to shut the eye of Reason.” -Benjamin Franklin

It has been a long time. How have you been?
18-05-2012, 03:10 AM
(18-05-2012 03:06 AM)ShirubaDangan Wrote:  Well we had a topic on this before and being agnostic isn't in between atheism and theism. The simple fact is, theists believe in a God and Atheists don't. Agnostics state that they don't know but believing in God is a yes or no answer so stating that you don't know basically states you as an atheist since you don't believe in god but aren't ruling them out.

I'm an agnostic but I'm a hundred percent an atheist against the god of the bible, Torah, Quran, book of Mormon, Dianetics or whatever mumbo jumbo the religious make up. There could be a being that started things but it isn't one of any of these religions and it definitely isn't perfect or what we claim it to be.

Also, yes I have been called satanic but if your family truly calls you that than they don't deserve to be called your family. I believe you just need to continue on. I never slowed down but be wary people will try to challenge you but remember you have evidence and rationality on your side.
I've already seen a similar video by Penn Jillete on Penn Point. Saw the think in another thread here, i do believe. I was mainly basing my earlier argument on that, but since I am in no means an expert on the topic, I decided to let Agnostics be whatever the heck they want to be.
18-05-2012, 03:24 AM
Yea don't worry man every single person on this planet is in fact an atheist. Christians don't believe in Zeus, Buddhists don't believe in the flying spaghetti monster and Scientologists don't believe in Mormons. The fact is you just believe in one less deity than other people do but I hope things go well for you.

"Mankind must put an end to war, or war will put an end to mankind." -John F Kennedy

The way to see by Faith is to shut the eye of Reason.” -Benjamin Franklin

It has been a long time. How have you been?
[+] 1 user Likes ShirubaDangan's post
18-05-2012, 03:28 AM
Hey, Dragon; don't call me an atheist. Cause I am, in fact, an atheist. Big Grin

pppgggr; you're the boy, she's the girl - it's your fault - that's just how it works. Wink

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user