Astrology Article

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-07-2017, 07:54 AM
Astrology Article
Yesterday my husband was talking to his mother about a person we know and about how awkward he feels around her when she talks about healing crystals. I laughed and mentioned the woman's fascination with tarot cards and astrology. My husband shot me a look and looked at his mother who started to defend tarot cards and astrology with a furious passion.

She ultimately ended the argument that we three had by saying that we were ignorant of the universe and how astrology has nothing to do with science (the only point I agreed with her on...). I asked her in the process of the argument why she believed to heavily in it and she showed me an article. I just got the chance to read through it and I thought I'd share some laughs with you guys. Smile It's a long article but it's well worth the read, I think.

http://www.astrologer.com/tests/basisofastrology.htm
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-07-2017, 02:49 PM
RE: Astrology Article
I've always believed it's a placebo or self-fulfilling prophecy.

I found this part hilarious:
Quote:
In the field of astrology, there are many more fatally flawed tests than real evidence. There are many reasons for this. There is no budget for testing astrology and most astrologers are more motivated by the study and application of astrology than in addressing the challenge of providing and defending scientific proof.

For it not being a faith, they use the same excuses theists use. "I don't care what your science says, it's real and I don't have to prove anything!"
01-07-2017, 07:22 PM
"Astrology is the study of the correlation between the positions and movements of celestial bodies and life and physical processes on Earth, and their resulting practices."

F = Gm1m2/r2
Newton's Law of Universal Gravitation.

IF Astrology were true, then also the force of (say) a passing truck or bus on the street would also have an affect (the force is inversely proportional to the square of the radius (distance), and in fact a bus or truck could have MORE affect on a human or anything. Do these idiots put buses and trucks in their charts ? it's such bullshit.
There may be some unknown factors at work, (such as seasonal hormone fluctuations etc) that we don't appreciate yet. The stars ? Nope.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
01-07-2017, 08:31 PM
Quote:Astrology is the study of the correlation between the positions and movements of celestial bodies and life and physical processes on Earth, and ther resulting practices. Though some astrologers work with stars and constellations, western astrologers work with the Sun, the Moon and the planets (including Pluto) within the Solar System.
Pluto was discovered in 1930 only. What about all the pre 1930 horoscopes?
There is possibly still "planet no9" out there. What about all horoscopes until it is discovered?
When i look through a telescope, i can see more stars. When i look through a bigger telesope, i can see even more stars. Why do i have to take which constellations and stars into consideration when making a horoscope? Because they are visbile to the unaided eye? Pluto, Uranus and Neptune arent visible to the unaided eye!

Quote:However, it is universally accepted that gravity and orbital resonance of the Sun and the Moon affects the Earth's oceanic tides and the Earth tide (body tide)
The article speaks about "orbital resonance of Sun and Moon" being responsible for tides. There is no such thing as orbital resonance of those two bodies. What i am suposed to think of somebody trying to defend astrology, but doesnt even know how tides work or what orbital resonance is?

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
[+] 1 user Likes Deesse23's post
02-07-2017, 03:10 AM
Like a lot of these woo-meisters, Robert Currey repeatedly lays it on the scientists and the skeptics to disprove the validity of "astrology", rather than himself proving that it is a valid methodology.

He's the one proposing that it's governed and proved by science, therefore it's up to him to provide the evidence in support of this claim. Just as it's not the job of the atheists to disprove the existence of gods, it's not the skeptics' job to disprove "astrology".

Phil Plait's written a nice little debunking of "astrology" HERE.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 1 user Likes SYZ's post
02-07-2017, 03:20 AM
(01-07-2017 07:22 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  "Astrology is the study of the correlation between the positions and movements of celestial bodies and life and physical processes on Earth, and their resulting practices."

F = Gm1m2/r2
Newton's Law of Universal Gravitation.

IF Astrology were true, then also the force of (say) a passing truck or bus on the street would also have an affect (the force is inversely proportional to the square of the radius (distance), and in fact a bus or truck could have MORE affect on a human or anything. Do these idiots put buses and trucks in their charts ? it's such bullshit.
There may be some unknown factors at work, (such as seasonal hormone fluctuations etc) that we don't appreciate yet. The stars ? Nope.

[Image: 4346ff73f706536295e712a41502aee2.jpg]

Don't you believe in some transcendent force in the universe?

Yes, yes.

You do?

Yes, yes of course.

Some force ruling everything in the universe and uniting all things?

Yes, yes. It's called gravity.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 2 users Like EvolutionKills's post