Astrology

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-05-2013, 08:14 AM
RE: Astrology
(06-05-2013 01:59 AM)Luminon Wrote:  
(03-05-2013 03:21 PM)KeenIdiot Wrote:  Does this guy realize that astrology is based off of the idea that Earth is at the center of the solar system and ignores asteroids and minor planets like Ceres?
No, astrology is not based on geocentric solar system. It is based on Earth, because both astrologers and their clients live on Earth, not Sun.

Btw,
http://www.lunarplanner.com/asteroids.html
http://www.astrologycom.com/aster.html
https://www.google.cz/search?q=astrology...e&ie=UTF-8

Just because it's not science doesn't mean you can turn off your brain completely. It can be actually a very complex non-science (not pretending to be science) with many laws, rules, principles, archetypes, and links to psychology and history. You are referring to a straw man for the most part, an "astrology" based on approximate position of the Sun and ignoring all the other planets, houses and aspects between them.
That's about as accurate as saying that atheism is the religion of Satan worship.
No... the astrology system he's using is based off of the model Ptolemy developed which is geocentric.
And is ultimately bullshit.

Humanists of West Florida
GC CoR
P'cola Skeptic in thePub
GC Freethinker
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes KeenIdiot's post
06-05-2013, 08:37 AM
2000 years ago. Methinks yeah, it would be :considers:

Need to do research.

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
11-05-2013, 10:33 AM
Lumi, "geocentric" means Earth is the center of the solar system. Drinking Beverage

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
11-05-2013, 11:07 AM
(05-05-2013 08:36 AM)amyb Wrote:  What the hell use it is to have a web program tell you things you already know about yourself, mixed with vague shit that applies to most of humanity?

In a nutshell, astrology (and a number of other beliefs) is a way for people to shift the blame for their problems, evil doings and even the evil doings of others to a non human scapegoat.

The idea is that if I'm a dirt bag wife beater, I can't help it because it's in the stars. Likewise, my parents abused me not because they didn't love me... they abused me because the stars made them do it.

Essentially, it's a convenient way to shuck responsibility and paint over the scars.

The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their right names. - Chinese Proverb
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes bbeljefe's post
11-05-2013, 12:21 PM
Girl I was with was into that crap once. I think April 21st makes me a Taurus. So we went to go get tattooes. I got one of a bull with glowing red eyes on my left pectoral (which goes good with the devil face on my right shoulder). I love my tattooes (cause they still look good) Cool, but I wonder if she read in her horoscope that within a month of that we'd have broken up Undecided
Anyhoo, just because it has -ology- in it's title doesn't mean it's not utter Bull Laughat shit!!

[+] 1 user Likes TheGulegon's post
11-05-2013, 03:02 PM (This post was last modified: 11-05-2013 04:14 PM by Luminon.)
(11-05-2013 10:33 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  Lumi, "geocentric" means Earth is the center of the solar system. Drinking Beverage
Yes, but neither me, nor my dad (an astrologer), nor nobody from the local astrologic society, nor in any literature I've ever seen astrology used geocentric model. They used software with Swiss ephemeris or something like that to keep track of the planets, likely the same calculations as space agencies.
The argument that geocentrism has something to do with astrology is rather outdated.

It may be surprising to you after a lifetime of magazine horoscope columns, but even astrology develops and some of its branches are serious about it and even try to make reasonable claims and provide realistic and useful advice.
When it comes to that, a radix is a scheme of 12 life areas, combined with 12 psychologic archetypes, intelligences, or just ways of doing things, about 12 actors represented by the planets, and several aspects, that is angles between the planets. Plus some miscellaneous techniques, points, angles and so on, to make this all even more complex. The complexity of a modern astrology gets close to the complexity of real life and personal or relationship psychology. It can do a thorough job of helping the client understand his life.

I can bash the newspaper astrology with you, together with some more traditional and primitive forms of it. But I have some respect towards modern humanistic and transpersonal astrologic schools, originating from Dane Rudhyar's work. I'd say these deserve some learning about, before criticizing.

The motto of the modern astrology is, that the horoscope does not say what you are, but what are your life lessons. How do you come out of them, if you succeed or fail, that is pretty much up to you. An astrologer theoretically can not tell from a horoscope whether a thing in a given horoscope is exaggerated, subdued or (rarely) harmonically expressed. No way to distinguish the horoscope of a saint and a mass murderer. It would however make the astrologer ask the client questions about this particular life area and search for problems there. Astrology can tell you what to watch out for and when to watch out for the life crises and opportunities. Horoscope is seen as the key to a person, not a substitute for the person.

11-05-2013, 05:05 PM
(11-05-2013 03:02 PM)Luminon Wrote:  
(11-05-2013 10:33 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  Lumi, "geocentric" means Earth is the center of the solar system. Drinking Beverage
Yes, but neither me, nor my dad (an astrologer), nor nobody from the local astrologic society, nor in any literature I've ever seen astrology used geocentric model. They used software with Swiss ephemeris or something like that to keep track of the planets, likely the same calculations as space agencies.
The argument that geocentrism has something to do with astrology is rather outdated.

It may be surprising to you after a lifetime of magazine horoscope columns, but even astrology develops and some of its branches are serious about it and even try to make reasonable claims and provide realistic and useful advice.
When it comes to that, a radix is a scheme of 12 life areas, combined with 12 psychologic archetypes, intelligences, or just ways of doing things, about 12 actors represented by the planets, and several aspects, that is angles between the planets. Plus some miscellaneous techniques, points, angles and so on, to make this all even more complex. The complexity of a modern astrology gets close to the complexity of real life and personal or relationship psychology. It can do a thorough job of helping the client understand his life.

I can bash the newspaper astrology with you, together with some more traditional and primitive forms of it. But I have some respect towards modern humanistic and transpersonal astrologic schools, originating from Dane Rudhyar's work. I'd say these deserve some learning about, before criticizing.

The motto of the modern astrology is, that the horoscope does not say what you are, but what are your life lessons. How do you come out of them, if you succeed or fail, that is pretty much up to you. An astrologer theoretically can not tell from a horoscope whether a thing in a given horoscope is exaggerated, subdued or (rarely) harmonically expressed. No way to distinguish the horoscope of a saint and a mass murderer. It would however make the astrologer ask the client questions about this particular life area and search for problems there. Astrology can tell you what to watch out for and when to watch out for the life crises and opportunities. Horoscope is seen as the key to a person, not a substitute for the person.

No, 'modern astrology' does not bear learning about. It is prima facie bullshit.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
11-05-2013, 05:24 PM
(11-05-2013 05:05 PM)Chas Wrote:  No, 'modern astrology' does not bear learning about. It is prima facie bullshit.
I suppose by bullshit you mean it makes claims about reality yet it does not provide objective evidence. Yeah, that's about right.

What I see is a process of making the modern, humanistic astrology more internally logical, generalized, complex, accustomed to the life of today. It makes much fewer claims about reality and it becomes much more useful for the client, actually addressing his individual needs. It gets close to disciplines like psychoanalysis or coaching.
Of course the prevailing over-commercialized mainstream astrology is bullshit as usual. America has a habit of over-commercializing everything.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Science has fixed Astrology The Doctor 35 2,441 03-02-2011 04:17 AM
Last Post: GunLar