Astronaut Building Lego Spacestation in ISS Spacestation

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-03-2012, 09:07 AM (This post was last modified: 02-03-2012 09:41 AM by ClydeLee.)
Astronaut Building Lego Spacestation in ISS Spacestation

I find this achievement amazing while being so miniscule. If I was a young tot when I saw this video I would be shooting astronaut back up to my top dream job... not that it isn't already that way.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post
02-03-2012, 07:12 PM
RE: Astronaut Building Lego Spacestation in ISS Spacestation
People in space = large waste of money
04-03-2012, 10:33 AM (This post was last modified: 04-03-2012 11:00 AM by Superluminal.)
(02-03-2012 07:12 PM)mysticjbyrd Wrote:  People in space = large waste of money

Okay. If that is your claim, then just like with religion, back it up with evidence that supports it.

So far, our manned space programs have provided nothing but HUGE returns to our economy. I guarantee you, the U.S. economy makes money back from what we invest in the aerospace industry through NASA several fold.

"Just 15 firms that received an initial $64 million in NASA life sciences research added $200 million of their own money and created a $1.5 billion return on investment in the form of sold commercial goods and services during 25 years." (source, Space Policy Institute, 1998, via Wikipedia).

Here is a link to the 2012 NASA budget: http://www.nasa.gov/home/hqnews/2011/feb...udget.html The total is 18.7 billion. The U.S. population is about 313 million.

That means it costs everyone about $59 a year to keep our space program running. Meanwhile a 2009 study by the Dept. of Labor found that the average American spends $457 dollars on alcohol.

So are you suggesting when your average American is willing to blow that much on getting drunk every year we can't afford $60 to keep our space program running? Not only that but $60 that will turn into pure profit while, last time I checked when you drink beer you don't earn money back on it.

Furthermore here is a set of data from a 2011 research report on commercial GPS in the United States, a technology that came about because of our space program:

"As shown later in this report, the direct economic benefits of GPS technology on commercial GPS users are estimated to be over $67.6 billion per year in the United States. In addition, GPS technology creates direct and indirect positive spillover effects, such as emission reductions from fuel savings, health and safety gains in the work place, time savings, job creation, higher tax revenues, and improved public safety and national defense. Today, there are more than 3.3 million jobs that rely on GPS technology, including approximately 130,000 jobs in GPS manufacturing industries and 3.2 million in the downstream commercial GPS-intensive industries."
-The Economic Benefits of Commercial GPS Use in the United States and the Costs of Potential Disruption, June, 2011

I'm sorry but your claim that "people in space = waste of money" just doesn't hold up under the economic evidence, when ONE industry resulting from space exploration pays 3x back into the U.S. economy every year than what we spend on NASA total.
[+] 5 users Like Superluminal's post
08-03-2012, 04:42 PM
ISSception.

«Είμα Ανθρώπου. Είμαι όλοι για μένα. Δεν υπάρχουν Θεοί».
Ωμέγα Γάμμα
08-03-2012, 04:56 PM

OMFG dude. That's it. You're going on ignore.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
[+] 1 user Likes germanyt's post
08-03-2012, 06:04 PM
(08-03-2012 04:56 PM)germanyt Wrote:  

LOL! comon man, we all know we could all live w/o that memory foam mattress.

HUGE WASTE of money!

Unexplored explorations is far far cheaper, and you learn way more.
08-03-2012, 06:18 PM
(08-03-2012 06:04 PM)mysticjbyrd Wrote:  

HUGE WASTE of money!

They're all important. The expansive findings of a unmanned missions can gather more now but does thou have no dreams to seek the future exploration of the species of Earth? The more you know about the experiences is crucial.
08-03-2012, 07:15 PM (This post was last modified: 08-03-2012 07:19 PM by mysticjbyrd.)
(08-03-2012 06:18 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  

HUGE WASTE of money!

They're all important. The expansive findings of a unmanned missions can gather more now but does thou have no dreams to seek the future exploration of the species of Earth? The more you know about the experiences is crucial.
I have doubts how much more popular space exploration is because of modern astronauts. I dont even know the name of one astronaut today, and can't think of the last time I saw one in the media.

If we were even close to real manned space exploration I could see it, but we can't get anywhere.
08-03-2012, 09:06 PM

HUGE WASTE of money!

Come on, dude. You're forgetting that space exploration gave us Tang!

[Image: tang.jpg]

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
09-03-2012, 07:30 AM
I see your space station and raise you one lego space shuttle

[+] 1 user Likes PeterKA's post