Astronomy as a path to atheism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-01-2014, 10:54 PM
RE: Astronomy as a path to atheism
Any excuse to post my fave youtube vid...

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
29-01-2014, 07:27 AM
(28-01-2014 09:45 PM)Free Wrote:  
(28-01-2014 12:35 PM)Rouge Jew Wrote:  I am not sure if this has been discussed (as I am a newbie here), but given that Astronomy fascination was my most significant route to free thought, I wonder that if could be or might have been the case for others.

Essentially, in studying astronomy, you may come to realize just how tremendous our universe is, let alone our own galaxy. We can't even explore the opposite ends of our own galaxy at 10 times the speed of light! Furthermore, realizing the enormity of our galaxy and universe will put into perspective just how small and insignificant our entire planet is (i.e. Carl Sagan's Pale Blue Dot). It has also been theorized as part of study, that there might be billions of Earth-like planets in just our own galaxy alone. I would not be able to comprehend how many might then be in the Universe.

To conclude on my point: How can someone possible believe in any of our religious texts or gods, when realizing our planet is so incredibly microscopic in all of existence? And then to have the ignorance to think that IF there was a deity that created this ridiculously tremendous universe, how could that deity be so incredibly interested in such specific activities of just one species on one tiny blue piece of dust?

Thoughts on this?

(various typos corrected)

One of my earliest memories is me looking up at the night sky from our front window and wondering what the stars actually were made of. Soon after, I heard from a nun in Catechism (in the days nuns actually came into the home) about some guy who supposedly walked on top of the water and I laughed and said, "No one can walk on water because they will fall in!"

I was 4 years old. The nun was not amused.

Astronomy has been with me all my life.

[Image: nun_gun2.jpg]

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Sam's post
23-09-2016, 08:31 PM
(28-01-2014 12:38 PM)devilsadvoc8 Wrote:  I can relate to what you are saying. As a child, the more I learned about universe in which I lived, the more I questioned my force-fed faith. It wasn't the only reason but it certainly helped me to see behind the curtain.

To me, we are such a small and insignificant part of the huge universe and the Bible tells us very clearly we cannot comprehend the thinking of God. The universe is so vast, some have estimated that even all the sands of the Earth do not number to the size of the universe. What makes us think we can understand God? There is no other explanation that science can prove. I am sure Genesis was written in terms we could understand a few thousand years ago and even today it seems consistent in terms of sequence of events and archaeology has so far proven the Bible history s correct. God explained it to Job in chapters 27-->. Read to understand.
[+] 1 user Likes gking3n10's post
23-09-2016, 11:12 PM
Let me get this straight.
You can't comprehend what a god is thinking, yet you seem to know how powerful, how knowledgeable and how good this god is.

I am able to understand when people are starving, when they are suffering, when they are killed and when they are tortured.

I understand empathy and caring.
I understand when people aren't around to help someone who is starving, that person starves and dies.

I understand when people aren't there to help stop a rape, then the rape happens.

People exist.
Gods do not.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 5 users Like Rahn127's post
24-09-2016, 06:29 AM
(23-09-2016 08:31 PM)gking3n10 Wrote:  To me, we are such a small and insignificant part of the huge universe and the Bible tells us very clearly we cannot comprehend the thinking of God. The universe is so vast, some have estimated that even all the sands of the Earth do not number to the size of the universe. What makes us think we can understand God? There is no other explanation that science can prove. I am sure Genesis was written in terms we could understand a few thousand years ago and even today it seems consistent in terms of sequence of events and archaeology has so far proven the Bible history s correct. God explained it to Job in chapters 27-->. Read to understand.

To me it makes far more sense that the bible is the result of a pre-scientific culture trying to make sense of the world they see. The creation story they came up with is on a par with the many other creation stories from other cultures. Genesis was written in terms the people could understand because it was written by those people.

By the way, there are 2 different event sequences in Genesis and neither matches what we understand actually happened. Archaeology supports some biblical history but not all -- the flood, the tower of babel, and the exodus are all completely unsupported for example.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 3 users Like unfogged's post
24-09-2016, 06:45 AM
(23-09-2016 08:31 PM)gking3n10 Wrote:  
(28-01-2014 12:38 PM)devilsadvoc8 Wrote:  I can relate to what you are saying. As a child, the more I learned about universe in which I lived, the more I questioned my force-fed faith. It wasn't the only reason but it certainly helped me to see behind the curtain.

To me, we are such a small and insignificant part of the huge universe and the Bible tells us very clearly we cannot comprehend the thinking of God. The universe is so vast, some have estimated that even all the sands of the Earth do not number to the size of the universe. What makes us think we can understand God? There is no other explanation that science can prove. I am sure Genesis was written in terms we could understand a few thousand years ago and even today it seems consistent in terms of sequence of events and archaeology has so far proven the Bible history s correct. God explained it to Job in chapters 27-->. Read to understand.

Not only is it not consistent with the evidence, the two creation stories in Genesis aren't even consistent with each other.

How do you apologists function in life with your lack of rational thinking? Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 7 users Like Chas's post
24-09-2016, 07:50 AM
I was 4 years old when my dad woke me in the middle of the night to watch an exceptional display of the aurora borealis. Fireworks simply don't compare.

It was one of the wonders that my young mind looked upon and realised that nothing of this majesty was created by a small god.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
[+] 3 users Like Paleophyte's post
25-09-2016, 03:08 AM
Hi,

Reading through the thread, I see little doubt that astronomy puts paid to a literal reading of the bible and also the other theisms. It is hard to deny that we (humans) are not centre stage in this place.

Having said that, we can still wonder what's going on? I have seen the moons of Jupiter through my backyard telescope and then gone indoors to watch an episode of Roseanne and have a nice cup of tea. Our comfortable/insecure position in this reality is (to me) surreal to the point of ridiculous. If theists are correct its ridiculous and if atheists are correct its still ridiculous. Maybe we are all in a paranormal episode of the Truman Show. Laugh out load

My old philosophy prof used to tell me that, except that he hadn't seen the Truman Show. His was a travelling celestial demon show. Evil_monster

Crazy.

D.
29-09-2016, 08:15 PM
(23-09-2016 08:31 PM)gking3n10 Wrote:  To me, we are such a small and insignificant part of the huge universe and the Bible tells us very clearly we cannot comprehend the thinking of God. The universe is so vast, some have estimated that even all the sands of the Earth do not number to the size of the universe. What makes us think we can understand God? There is no other explanation that science can prove. I am sure Genesis was written in terms we could understand a few thousand years ago and even today it seems consistent in terms of sequence of events and archaeology has so far proven the Bible history s correct. God explained it to Job in chapters 27-->. Read to understand.

I think you just made and argument from ignorance about an argument from ignorance.

You're effectively saying that the belief doesn't make sense, and likely can't make sense, but we should believe it anyway.

The problem is (well, one of many), is that there's an infinite number of these gods that we can believe in and "fail to understand". Prove to me that the real god, Steve, won't punish the faithful and reward the nonbelievers because he works in mysterious ways. You can't? Well, what if you're wrong?
[+] 1 user Likes RobbyPants's post
30-09-2016, 05:44 AM
(29-09-2016 08:15 PM)RobbyPants Wrote:  

I think you just made and argument from ignorance about an argument from ignorance.

You're effectively saying that the belief doesn't make sense, and likely can't make sense, but we should believe it anyway.

The problem is (well, one of many), is that there's an infinite number of these gods that we can believe in and "fail to understand". Prove to me that the real god, Steve, won't punish the faithful and reward the nonbelievers because he works in mysterious ways. You can't? Well, what if you're wrong?

A reversed Pascal's Wager, I like it! Thumbsup

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition