Asylum Steampunk Festival

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-09-2017, 06:15 AM
Asylum Steampunk Festival
So last year I started a new tradition with my rainbro and it is to go to the Asylum.

So for those who don't know what steampunk is. It is a science fiction genre where we assume that we are in modern times but back in the victorian era technology went the route of steam engines. So things are steam powered.
Another fun thing about it is that people are being extremly serious about extremly ridiculous things - especially when it comes to the consumption of tea.
For example, on my costume I have a holster on my belt and in my holster there is a tea strainer.

One of the traits that makes steampunk so fun and wonderful is how something very simple will be taken and made stupidly over-complicated.
For example tea duelling. Tea duelling is a means to settle your differences in a civilized manner and without shooting each other.
There are different but similar sets of rules and all of them are equally complicated. But it boils down to dunking a bisquit in tea until commanded to lift it out. Then it is between the duellists. The one who can keep the bisquit in their hands without it falling and then eating it in one bite without being messy, that is the winner of the duel.
And I watched the WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP Big Grin

There was also a whaky race where people got to show off their steampunk vehicles. They would more or less race but not really. I mean there was one teenager who took it as a real race and he wanted to win. He had a normal bike with a pipe taped to it. So not sure how that was steampunk but whatever. The rest of the people there came for the fun and for the photos.

Now here a few photos I made:

A photo from the tea duel
[Image: 2h7288m.jpg]

Somebody with a pet brain (unsure why it uploaded sideways, sorry)
[Image: euip3l.jpg]

Just a cool costume (also sideways for whatever fucking reason)
[Image: 2uyrfo3.jpg]

One of the vehicles in the whaky race
[Image: 33udbn6.jpg]

People in the castle
[Image: 2zjakci.jpg]

I have a lot more, but I will make a video anyway, and then I will link it here so you can see all the fun things.

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
- Wotsefack?! -
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Leerob's post
02-09-2017, 06:17 AM
RE: Asylum Steampunk Festival
I will post some more in a bit. Right now the husband is rushing me to do things irl...

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
- Wotsefack?! -
02-09-2017, 09:30 AM
RE: Asylum Steampunk Festival
That sounds like such fun. It's right up my alley. It's got costumes, imagination, sillyness and whimisical nutty nonsense. It's me!

I wonder if Portland Oregon has something like this. I'm a-gonna check.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post