Asymmetrical Warfare

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-04-2013, 03:37 PM
Asymmetrical Warfare
Hey.

I have a question.

Suicide bombers are pretty much universally reviled in Western culture. And yeah, I mean the Islamic ones.

When there is symmetry in warfare, you have two armies, roughly the same strength, going toe to toe. Tanks. Planes. Ships. Infantry. The traditional stuff.

Asymmetric warfare is what one does when they are woefully outgunned. They can't hope to go head to head, so they use what tactics they can. Essentially, it is the guerrilla war.

So why is it, that the Americans can drop 2 000lbs bombs on city centres to achieve their war aims, and that's perfectly fine, but if suicide bombers kill anyone, anywhere, they're the worst scum on the planet?

Please understand, I am not condoning ANY kind of warfare. I'm just looking for a logical explanation as to why symmetrical warfare is fine with most people, but asymmetrical warfare is repugnant.

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-04-2013, 03:48 PM
RE: Asymmetrical Warfare
(13-04-2013 03:37 PM)Ghost Wrote:  Hey.

I have a question.

Suicide bombers are pretty much universally reviled in Western culture. And yeah, I mean the Islamic ones.

When there is symmetry in warfare, you have two armies, roughly the same strength, going toe to toe. Tanks. Planes. Ships. Infantry. The traditional stuff.

Asymmetric warfare is what one does when they are woefully outgunned. They can't hope to go head to head, so they use what tactics they can. Essentially, it is the guerrilla war.

So why is it, that the Americans can drop 2 000lbs bombs on city centres to achieve their war aims, and that's perfectly fine, but if suicide bombers kill anyone, anywhere, they're the worst scum on the planet?

Please understand, I am not condoning ANY kind of warfare. I'm just looking for a logical explanation as to why symmetrical warfare is fine with most people, but asymmetrical warfare is repugnant.

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt

The emotional reaction is in the perception of insanity involved.
The suicide bomber is viewed as especially dangerous having given up self-preservation.

Like the kamikaze, defense against them is especially hard.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
13-04-2013, 04:41 PM
One is a Republic, theoretically using democracy to appoint leaders to a Legal governing body that, theoretically, uses the people's power and resources to conduct actions that are theoretically intended to protect aforesaid Republic.

The other is a few soccer hooligans who get drunk and wanna tear shit up.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
13-04-2013, 04:42 PM
(13-04-2013 04:41 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  One is a Republic, theoretically using democracy to appoint leaders to a Legal governing body that, theoretically, uses the people's power and resources to conduct actions that are theoretically intended to protect aforesaid Republic.

The other is a few soccer hooligans who get drunk and wanna tear shit up, theoretically.

fixed

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
13-04-2013, 04:45 PM
(13-04-2013 04:42 PM)nach_in Wrote:  
(13-04-2013 04:41 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  One is a Republic, theoretically using democracy to appoint leaders to a Legal governing body that, theoretically, uses the people's power and resources to conduct actions that are theoretically intended to protect aforesaid Republic.

The other is a few soccer hooligans who get drunk and wanna tear shit up, theoretically.

fixed

I bow to the cow and it's theoretically better editing skills.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
13-04-2013, 06:23 PM
Because guerilla warfare isn't a tactic that Americans have utilized as a standard since the Revolutionary War (maybe somewhat during the American Civil War as well). The ones using guerilla tactics now are usually our enemies, whose country we invaded for more likely than not dubious intentions.

Other than that, Chas summed the rest up pretty well. I personally find proxy bombing to be far more despicable than suicide bombing since the bomber was coerced rather than a willing volunteer.

[Image: giphy.gif]
13-04-2013, 07:59 PM (This post was last modified: 13-04-2013 08:03 PM by Vosur.)
(13-04-2013 03:37 PM)Ghost Wrote:  So why is it, that the Americans can drop 2 000lbs bombs on city centres to achieve their war aims, and that's perfectly fine, but if suicide bombers kill anyone, anywhere, they're the worst scum on the planet?

On what basis are you making these generalizations? I mean, seriously, I have never heard anyone this forum or in my daily life say that bombing cities and warfare in general is "perfectly fine".
13-04-2013, 08:01 PM
(13-04-2013 07:59 PM)Vosur Wrote:  
(13-04-2013 03:37 PM)Ghost Wrote:  So why is it, that the Americans can drop 2 000lbs bombs on city centres to achieve their war aims, and that's perfectly fine, but if suicide bombers kill anyone, anywhere, they're the worst scum on the planet?

On what basis are you making these generalizations? I mean, seriously, I have never heard anyone this forum or in my daily life say that bombing cities and warfare in general is "perfectly fine".

V-man, I think you misunderstand his meaning. I believe he means that 'Muricans (in general) think that.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
14-04-2013, 04:38 AM
Perhaps that platitude about ends justifying means would be useful to the OP's question.
14-04-2013, 04:09 PM
I wouldn't say most people view dropping bombs on cities "perfectly fine", though they do overwhelmingly support their militaries despite it.

The difference between what the (western) militaries do and what the suicide bombers do is, firstly, that the western military tries to avoid civilian casualties and targets hostile militants while the suicide bombers intend to kill civilians, and secondly, while the western military is generally supporting a democratic government with a higher level of freedom of religion and speech (even a half-assed democracy like Afghanistan is better than Talibanistan), the suicide bombers are generally supporting the institution of a regressive dictatorial one-religion state.

It's not so much that the act of suicide bombing is appalling, but that it is almost always directed at civilians and for nefarious ends, at odds with what the professional soldiers are tasked with (ie. protecting civilians from militants, and aiding in infrastructure development). Suicide bombing has become synonymous with indiscriminate religion-based genocide.

If something can be destroyed by the truth, it might be worth destroying.

[Image: ZcC2kGl.png]
[+] 4 users Like Elesjei's post