At What Point Are You Dead?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-02-2014, 01:31 PM
At What Point Are You Dead?
At first, it may seem a simple question. It may seem instinctive. There are famous cases where governments have declared people this or that with legal and philosophical ramifications that make the press. So, when are you dead? Is it when you the ability to breathe? What about a permanent with machines forcing you to breath? Is it when you lose consciousnesses? We all do this on a nightly basis. What about when your last cell dies? Cells die by the billions and many are replaced even as you read this. Besides that, some may live days after you are buried. At what point am I dead?

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-02-2014, 01:36 PM
RE: At What Point Are You Dead?
(17-02-2014 01:31 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  At first, it may seem a simple question. It may seem instinctive. There are famous cases where governments have declared people this or that with legal and philosophical ramifications that make the press. So, when are you dead? Is it when you the ability to breathe? What about a permanent with machines forcing you to breath? Is it when you lose consciousnesses? We all do this on a nightly basis. What about when your last cell dies? Cells die by the billions and many are replaced even as you read this. Besides that, some may live days after you are buried. At what point am I dead?

When brain activity ceases, that is the last line that you can never recover from.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 11 users Like Revenant77x's post
17-02-2014, 01:56 PM
(17-02-2014 01:31 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  At first, it may seem a simple question. It may seem instinctive. There are famous cases where governments have declared people this or that with legal and philosophical ramifications that make the press. So, when are you dead? Is it when you the ability to breathe? What about a permanent with machines forcing you to breath? Is it when you lose consciousnesses? We all do this on a nightly basis. What about when your last cell dies? Cells die by the billions and many are replaced even as you read this. Besides that, some may live days after you are buried. At what point am I dead?

You never really do die. You either Go to heaven in paradise or burn in hell for all eternity.
17-02-2014, 01:57 PM
(17-02-2014 01:56 PM)goldenmustache Wrote:  

You never really do die. You either Go to heaven in paradise or burn in hell for all eternity.

~Citation and evidence needed.

Official ordained minister of the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Please pm me with prayer requests to his noodly goodness. Remember, he boiled for your sins and loves you. Carbo Diem! RAmen.
[+] 10 users Like Logisch's post
17-02-2014, 02:03 PM

Do you actually believe that?

You don't sound sincere.

Or to be more specific, it follows a pattern of short, simple responses that don't sound sincere. Drinking Beverage

[Image: giphy.gif]
[+] 5 users Like Tartarus Sauce's post
17-02-2014, 02:05 PM
(17-02-2014 02:03 PM)Tartarus Sauce Wrote:  
(17-02-2014 01:56 PM)goldenmustache Wrote:  You never really do die. You either Go to heaven in paradise or burn in hell for all eternity.

Do you actually believe that?

You don't sound sincere.

Or to be more specific, it follows a pattern of short, simple responses that don't sound sincere. Drinking Beverage

cuz god lulz.

Official ordained minister of the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Please pm me with prayer requests to his noodly goodness. Remember, he boiled for your sins and loves you. Carbo Diem! RAmen.
[+] 3 users Like Logisch's post
17-02-2014, 02:49 PM

Does your physical body enter heaven/hell, or is it your soul? Because you can't have pain as a metaphysical body unless you have a type of cell called "pain receptors" which are responsible for pain and are embedded in your skin. Pain's primary function is to tell you where your body is damaged. Since going to heaven/hell I don't see a need for your body to tell itself it's damaged if you never die or get "Hurt." Bronze age lunatics must have thought that pain was spiritual, when really it's a mechanism for getting you to pay attention to bodily damages and try to heal them or treat them.

[Image: v0jpzpT.png]
[+] 2 users Like Alex_Leonardo's post
17-02-2014, 03:05 PM
When your body has used up all it's energy and cannot create any more.

Aspiring optimist
Eternal Pragmatist.
With the uncanny ability to see all sides in every argument.
17-02-2014, 03:23 PM
(17-02-2014 03:05 PM)Caveman Wrote:  When your body has used up all it's energy and cannot create any more.

That doesn't make sense. You create energy by consuming matter. Your body does not have a set quota of energy from when you are born. You consume energy by breathing, inhaling oxygen and sometimes, water. When you die of age, there are several factors that cause it. (and technically it's impossible to REALLY die of age.) These include body damage and health state, and even past actions. If you were to synthesize a food that had the exactly correct amount of what matter your body needs, and a correct environment, you could live forever.
I think... Maybe the human body does have a self destruct mechanism after you get old enough. I know your body does have a self destruct mechanism in certain condition, but not for age.
But anyways, I'm pretty sure if your body have everything It needed, and no negative factors (disease, damage, etc.) you would be immortal.

It would make sense if you produced a equal amount of cells to the amount of cells that died forever.

[Image: v0jpzpT.png]
[+] 1 user Likes Alex_Leonardo's post
17-02-2014, 03:26 PM
(17-02-2014 03:05 PM)Caveman Wrote:  When your body has used up all it's energy and cannot create any more.

What if you transplant your brain into an organic fluid that is kept alive artificially with no body and you're plugged into a simulation?