At What Point Are You Dead?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-02-2014, 05:55 PM
RE: At What Point Are You Dead?
When I stop being able to care for myself, and it looks as though that won't change, or whenever I damn well decide Yes

I hope that the world turns, and things get better. But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that, even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you, I love you. With all my heart, I love you. - V for Vendetta
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-02-2014, 06:12 PM
(17-02-2014 03:33 PM)Alex_Leonardo Wrote:  
(17-02-2014 03:05 PM)Caveman Wrote:  When your body has used up all it's energy and cannot create any more.
DOES ANYONE EVEN NOTICE THE FLAW IN THIS? YOU HAVE NO SET QUOTA OF ENERGY AND YOU ARE CONSTANTLY CREATING ENERGY WHEN YOU CONSUME MATTER! YOUR BODY DOES NOT JUST LOOSE ENERGY AS YOU GROW OLDER. YOU ACTUALLY PRODUCE MORE WHEN YOU GO INTO ADOLESCENCE. A BABY ACTUALLY HAS LESS ENERGY THEN WHEN YOU WERE A TEEN, BECAUSE A BABY NEEDS LESS ENERGY BECAUSE OF IT'S BODY SIZE.

What are you talking about? It seems obvious to me that if you have used up all the energy you have, and you are incapable of producing more (because you can no longer consume matter), then you are dead.
I do not see a flaw in that logic.

Swing with me a while, we can listen to the birds call, we can keep each other warm.
Swing with me forever, we can count up every flower, we can weather every storm.
17-02-2014, 06:28 PM
(17-02-2014 06:12 PM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  
(17-02-2014 03:33 PM)Alex_Leonardo Wrote:  DOES ANYONE EVEN NOTICE THE FLAW IN THIS? YOU HAVE NO SET QUOTA OF ENERGY AND YOU ARE CONSTANTLY CREATING ENERGY WHEN YOU CONSUME MATTER! YOUR BODY DOES NOT JUST LOOSE ENERGY AS YOU GROW OLDER. YOU ACTUALLY PRODUCE MORE WHEN YOU GO INTO ADOLESCENCE. A BABY ACTUALLY HAS LESS ENERGY THEN WHEN YOU WERE A TEEN, BECAUSE A BABY NEEDS LESS ENERGY BECAUSE OF IT'S BODY SIZE.

What are you talking about? It seems obvious to me that if you have used up all the energy you have, and you are incapable of producing more (because you can no longer consume matter), then you are dead.

I took it as him saying that you have a set quota of energy when you are born and you use up that energy over years and decades.

[Image: v0jpzpT.png]
[+] 1 user Likes Alex_Leonardo's post
17-02-2014, 08:36 PM
(17-02-2014 01:36 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(17-02-2014 01:31 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  At first, it may seem a simple question. It may seem instinctive. There are famous cases where governments have declared people this or that with legal and philosophical ramifications that make the press. So, when are you dead? Is it when you the ability to breathe? What about a permanent with machines forcing you to breath? Is it when you lose consciousnesses? We all do this on a nightly basis. What about when your last cell dies? Cells die by the billions and many are replaced even as you read this. Besides that, some may live days after you are buried. At what point am I dead?

When brain activity ceases, that is the last line that you can never recover from.

And if my brain is in a permanent unconscious state? Suppose my brain is only capable of sending signals to my involuntary muscles, is it my brain 'active'? What if my brain is severely damaged and I don't have the capacity to understand the world around me and interpret the various signals being sent to my brain (tactile, visual, auditory, taste), am I 'alive'?

17-02-2014, 08:39 PM (This post was last modified: 17-02-2014 09:20 PM by Dark Light.)
(17-02-2014 06:12 PM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  
(17-02-2014 03:33 PM)Alex_Leonardo Wrote:  DOES ANYONE EVEN NOTICE THE FLAW IN THIS? YOU HAVE NO SET QUOTA OF ENERGY AND YOU ARE CONSTANTLY CREATING ENERGY WHEN YOU CONSUME MATTER! YOUR BODY DOES NOT JUST LOOSE ENERGY AS YOU GROW OLDER. YOU ACTUALLY PRODUCE MORE WHEN YOU GO INTO ADOLESCENCE. A BABY ACTUALLY HAS LESS ENERGY THEN WHEN YOU WERE A TEEN, BECAUSE A BABY NEEDS LESS ENERGY BECAUSE OF IT'S BODY SIZE.

And if I am incapable of eating, but being fed intravenously? Does my ability to reason play no part?

17-02-2014, 08:40 PM
(17-02-2014 01:31 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  ... So, when are you dead?...
There are a number of clinical tests for death.

1. A knockout attractive member of the gender you're attracted to winks at you and asks suggestively "You wouldn't happen to have the time now would you sweetie" and you look at your watch and say "it's three fifteen".

2. Your boss's boss calls you in and congratulates your work on the Feldspar account and promotes you to VP, with you old boss now reporting to you, and you wish that if something had to interrupt your You Tube surfing why couldn't it have been for something important.

3. You discover that lottery ticket you bought a month ago is a hundred million winner and it expires in half an hour and you judge you've got time to try to beat your best score playing Flappy Bird for a few minutes.

There have been controversies about whether tests like these are more a measure of stupidity than of death but they fail to recognize that the difference between stupidity and death in most cases is just a few seconds.
[+] 2 users Like Airportkid's post
17-02-2014, 08:45 PM
(17-02-2014 08:39 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  
(17-02-2014 06:12 PM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  What are you talking about? It seems obvious to me that if you have used up all the energy you have, and you are incapable of producing more (because you can no longer consume matter), then you are dead.

And if I am incapably of eating, but being fed intravenously? Does my ability to reason play no part?

Being incapable of eating is not the same as being incapable of consuming matter and producing new energy. If not being able to eat is a permanent condition and you will be fed intravenously for the rest of your life, then it is up to you to decide the quality of your life at that point. You wouldn't be dead though. Now if you cannot consume the nutrients even intravenously then your body will eventually consume all of its' energy and you will not be capable of producing more. At that point you would be dead.

Swing with me a while, we can listen to the birds call, we can keep each other warm.
Swing with me forever, we can count up every flower, we can weather every storm.
17-02-2014, 08:57 PM
(17-02-2014 08:36 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  
(17-02-2014 01:36 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  When brain activity ceases, that is the last line that you can never recover from.

And if my brain is in a permanent unconscious state? Suppose my brain is only capable of sending signals to my involuntary muscles, is it my brain 'active'? What if my brain is severely damaged and I don't have the capacity to understand the world around me and interpret the various signals being sent to my brain (tactile, visual, auditory, taste), am I 'alive'?

Yes, you have low quality of life but you are still alive. Coma patients would fall under this.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
17-02-2014, 09:24 PM
If it was the case of a permanant coma, I'd like to be considered dead. Just let my body starve. At that point "I" am dead (as I see it). The body is not me. My personality, which is stored in my brain, is not coming back.

[+] 1 user Likes Dark Light's post
17-02-2014, 09:27 PM
When I die, to make sure I am dead I want to be beheaded. I don't like the thought of waking up underground.