At What Point Are You Dead?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-02-2014, 10:01 PM
RE: At What Point Are You Dead?
(17-02-2014 09:24 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  If it was the case of a permanant coma, I'd like to be considered dead. Just let my body starve. At that point "I" am dead (as I see it). The body is not me. My personality, which is stored in my brain, is not coming back.

That is why you need a living will. In the event that such a thing would happen you could instruct that you not be kept on life support/feeding tubes etc.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Revenant77x's post
18-02-2014, 07:45 AM
Whoa! Let's not get too practical here. It's the philosophy section. Tongue

If I could, I'd put down "strangle" instead of not feeding. I'd prefer to just get it over with, but I don't think they allow people to directly 'kill' 'you' in a legal will, which is possibly more humane, and certainly more dignified in my opinion.

[+] 1 user Likes Dark Light's post
18-02-2014, 07:55 AM
Re: At What Point Are You Dead?
The person is dead when no life signs show up as the gold spike is stabbed into the head.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
18-02-2014, 08:00 AM
(17-02-2014 01:56 PM)goldenmustache Wrote:  
(17-02-2014 01:31 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  At first, it may seem a simple question. It may seem instinctive. There are famous cases where governments have declared people this or that with legal and philosophical ramifications that make the press. So, when are you dead? Is it when you the ability to breathe? What about a permanent with machines forcing you to breath? Is it when you lose consciousnesses? We all do this on a nightly basis. What about when your last cell dies? Cells die by the billions and many are replaced even as you read this. Besides that, some may live days after you are buried. At what point am I dead?

You never really do die. You either Go to heaven in paradise or burn in hell for all eternity.

Prove it. Explain how, in a spiritual realm, you "go" somewhere, what EXACTLY "going somewhere" means in the spiritual realm, and then explain how a *transition* from one state to another happens, in the absence of space-time, and why and how that makes and linguistic sense.

You just made that shit up didn't you ? You do realize I hope that the Hebrews (and therefore Jesus, if he existed) didn't believe in heaven and hell ? Or are you really as ignorant of your own cult as you appear ?

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
18-02-2014, 04:47 PM
(17-02-2014 01:56 PM)goldenmustache Wrote:  
(17-02-2014 01:31 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  At first, it may seem a simple question. It may seem instinctive. There are famous cases where governments have declared people this or that with legal and philosophical ramifications that make the press. So, when are you dead? Is it when you the ability to breathe? What about a permanent with machines forcing you to breath? Is it when you lose consciousnesses? We all do this on a nightly basis. What about when your last cell dies? Cells die by the billions and many are replaced even as you read this. Besides that, some may live days after you are buried. At what point am I dead?

You never really do die. You either Go to heaven in paradise or burn in hell for all eternity.

In other words, be a good little boy or girl and you will get some candy, but if you are bad, well then darn .... no candy for you?

Seriously ... what kind of god needs to either bribe or threaten people to do what he wants them to do? If this god of yours is so powerful then how come he can't demonstrate one single iota of truth to these bribes or threats?

So ... show me this heaven and this hell that you speak of. Show me this mighty god you revere so highly.

Show me one single tangible piece of evidence that heaven, hell, or god even exists, and don't give me stupid crap like questions that say, "Where do you think the earth came from," or "How do you think you exist."

I want visible proof of god, heaven and hell, okay?

I'll wait right here until you deliver, or until "hell freezes over," which ever comes first.

Drinking Beverage

How can anyone become an atheist when we are all born with no beliefs in the first place? We are atheists because we were born this way.
[+] 1 user Likes Free's post