At What Point Did Christians Decide That The Bible Isn't Meant To Be Taken Literally?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-06-2014, 05:47 PM
RE: At What Point Did Christians Decide That The Bible Isn't Meant To Be Taken Literally?
(19-06-2014 05:39 PM)Leo Wrote:  
(19-06-2014 04:50 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  Let us debate the issue then.

Is there such a thing as theological noncognitivism?

I say there is.

You say there is not.

Ready to go to the ring?

I like to see you in a serious debate but without you being a pussy.

Care to debate me?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-06-2014, 06:08 PM
RE: At What Point Did Christians Decide That The Bible Isn't Meant To Be Taken Literally?
(19-06-2014 05:22 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  
(19-06-2014 05:14 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  No. YOU changed the subject. I asked for a coherent definition of a deity. You have failed to provide one. Your invitation to debate is ITSELF evasion. Try harder.

If I give you a definition of God, will you debate me on theological noncognitivism? You say there is no such thing. I say there is.

Now man up and step up to the plate. Yes or no?

I did not ask for "a definition", (nice try). I asked for a "coherent definition". You can't. Define "theological noncognitivism".

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
19-06-2014, 06:17 PM
(19-06-2014 06:08 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(19-06-2014 05:22 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  If I give you a definition of God, will you debate me on theological noncognitivism? You say there is no such thing. I say there is.

Now man up and step up to the plate. Yes or no?

I did not ask for "a definition", (nice try). I asked for a "coherent definition". You can't. Define "theological noncognitivism".

Simmer down and stop jumping around.

If I give you a "coherent definition" of God, will you debate me on theological noncognitivism. You claim there is no such thing. I do.
19-06-2014, 06:17 PM
(15-06-2014 05:10 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  So for example, when Jesus said that we should pluck our eye out if it causes us to sin, He is using "hyperbole" or an exaggeration to create a strong effect on the listener/reader and thus is not to be taken literally, meaning Christians are not to run around gouging their eyes out.
If there weren't any angels to save the day
God: Abraham, you must kill your son.
Abraham: What, are you kidding?
God: I am your God, I am love, you must have Faith and trust in me, do as I say.
So Abraham takes his son up a hill and kills him.
God: Abraham, what have you done?
Abraham: I have done as you asked.
God: Why did you kill your son?
Abraham: But I have done exactly as you asked.
God: You are evil Abraham, you will burn for eternity.
Abraham: But..., you said "Abraham, you must kill your son."
God: I am love, you weren't supposed to take that command literally. I was speaking in "hyperbole" you should have recognised that.
Abraham: hyper-what!?, I did as you asked, I put my faith into you.
God: I was instructing you not to kill your son and then you go and do the direct opposite. Why do you oppose your god?
Abraham: But, don't you see the future? didn't you recognise that if you used "hyperbole" then I would take you literally and with my unquestioning faith, do as you ask? Why didn't you talk straight up rather than in riddles? I would have done as you asked?
God: I like to speak in parables, in allegory, in hyperbole, it's not my fault you misinterpreted my message. You will burn for eternity for going against your god.
[+] 1 user Likes Stevil's post
19-06-2014, 06:23 PM (This post was last modified: 19-06-2014 08:48 PM by Bucky Ball.)
(19-06-2014 06:17 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  Simmer down and stop jumping around.
If I give you a "coherent definition" of God, will you debate me on theological noncognitivism. You claim there is no such thing. I do.

Again. Nice try. No one is getting excited. No one needs to "simmer down". (I know ALL your little apologist tricks. You're SO unoriginal.) You are not capable of causing "excitement" at this late date here. We've all seen your MO. No one is "jumping around". Again nice try at evasion. I simply asked for a coherent definition of a god. You have not provided one. Instead you have fapped your way around here doing anything and everything to avoid providing one.

Put up, or shut up.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
19-06-2014, 06:28 PM
(18-06-2014 04:22 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  
(18-06-2014 10:46 AM)Michael_Tadlock Wrote:  Happy birthday to your girl friend Smile.

Thanks! We went to Chilis restaurant.

I love Chilli's!

Just because YOU believe in fairies doesn't mean anybody else should.
19-06-2014, 06:49 PM
(19-06-2014 06:28 PM)Bible Belt Brawler Wrote:  
(18-06-2014 04:22 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  Thanks! We went to Chilis restaurant.

I love Chilli's!

Their chips and salsa are beast! Drooling
19-06-2014, 06:49 PM
Brilliant post, Stevil, your #134. It's exactly the kind of post an honest proselytizer would seize on to clarify HOW to differentiate what is meant literally vs what is meant figuratively, but if there are any honest proselytizers around here they keep their distance. Salient as your post is, (see title of this thread), I doubt it will get any response but snark from those who have the greatest reason to treat it seriously.
19-06-2014, 06:51 PM
(19-06-2014 06:23 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(19-06-2014 06:17 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  Simmer down and stop jumping around.

Again. Nice try. No one is getting excited. No one needds to "simmer down". (I know ALL your little apologist tricks. You're SO unoriginal.) You are not capable of causing "excitement" at this late date here. We've all seen your MO. No one is "jumping around". Again nice try at evasion. I simply asked for a coherent definition of a god. You have not provided one. Instead you have fapped your way around here doing anything and everything to avoid providing one.

Put up, or shut up.

again, for a second time:

If I give you a "coherent definition" of God, will you debate me on theological noncognitivism? You claim there is no such thing. I do.
19-06-2014, 06:59 PM
(19-06-2014 06:17 PM)Stevil Wrote:  
(15-06-2014 05:10 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  So for example, when Jesus said that we should pluck our eye out if it causes us to sin, He is using "hyperbole" or an exaggeration to create a strong effect on the listener/reader and thus is not to be taken literally, meaning Christians are not to run around gouging their eyes out.
If there weren't any angels to save the day
God: Abraham, you must kill your son.
Abraham: What, are you kidding?
God: I am your God, I am love, you must have Faith and trust in me, do as I say.
So Abraham takes his son up a hill and kills him.
God: Abraham, what have you done?
Abraham: I have done as you asked.
God: Why did you kill your son?
Abraham: But I have done exactly as you asked.
God: You are evil Abraham, you will burn for eternity.
Abraham: But..., you said "Abraham, you must kill your son."
God: I am love, you weren't supposed to take that command literally. I was speaking in "hyperbole" you should have recognised that.
Abraham: hyper-what!?, I did as you asked, I put my faith into you.
God: I was instructing you not to kill your son and then you go and do the direct opposite. Why do you oppose your god?
Abraham: But, don't you see the future? didn't you recognise that if you used "hyperbole" then I would take you literally and with my unquestioning faith, do as you ask? Why didn't you talk straight up rather than in riddles? I would have done as you asked?
God: I like to speak in parables, in allegory, in hyperbole, it's not my fault you misinterpreted my message. You will burn for eternity for going against your god.

I find it interesting that I give you all more credit than you give yourselves.

No one here actually thinks that Jesus intended for His followers to gouge their eyes out or to take a saw and saw off their hands if the aforementioned caused them to sin.

I give you all credit that you know what Jesus means when He says that we should love our neighbor as ourselves.

You would have me believe you all are completely and totally lost when it comes to distinguishing between the various literary devices used in the Bible. In America, even if one were to attend public schools, one would at least be subjected to enough literature to be able to tell the difference between a narrative and an allegory.

You guys need to give yourself more credit than you do.