At What Point Did Christians Decide That The Bible Isn't Meant To Be Taken Literally?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-06-2014, 08:37 PM
RE: At What Point Did Christians Decide That The Bible Isn't Meant To Be Taken Literally?
At What Point Did Christians Decide That The Bible Isn't Meant To Be Taken Literally?

At the point when they finally got around to reading it. Dodgy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 6 users Like kim's post
15-06-2014, 08:44 PM
RE: At What Point Did Christians Decide That The Bible Isn't Meant To Be Taken Literally?
(15-06-2014 05:43 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  
(15-06-2014 05:15 PM)Shadow Fox Wrote:  " If it contradicts anything, does not make sense, or is an obviously evil act. It is up to the Christian to cherry pick that out and make it into a metaphor so they can "double pick" everything by claiming the entire bible is a metaphor and pick out what is not a metaphor out from what they DO really like"

That is what I get from all that.

And you would be wrong if that was your interpretation of why those literary forms were listed.

Those literary forms were listed to show you that the Bible is not one book that is read either literally or figuratively.

It is a collection of sixty six different literary works. Within each work, there are further variations in genre, writing style, form, etc. etc.

Now if you have a specific scripture in mind that you would like me to engage, then simply provide it WITH the context and I can tell you whether it is to be taken literally or not.

Genesis Chapter 6

Just because YOU believe in fairies doesn't mean anybody else should.
15-06-2014, 08:53 PM
Very good topic!

God IS the author of confusion.

There is no way that anyone can read the bible, and know for sure, which verses are verbatim, and which ones take a 3-page essay to explain. Rolleyes

When you escape the indoctrination, or lucky enough to never have been brainwashed, you eventually figure out, that the only scriptures which are not verbatim, are the controversial, making god look bad ones. How fucking convenient!

Maybe god is a metaphor for the universe, or nature? Or maybe God = I don't give a flying fuck what happens to you all. Laughat

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled. ~Mark Twain
[+] 3 users Like CindysRain's post
15-06-2014, 10:46 PM
Quote:"The Bible is not meant to be taken literally!"

When it became inconsistent with current views of reality and inconvenient and embarrassing to continue to adopt that way? Easy to adopt things "figuratively" and "metaphorically" since it can be twisted to fit whatever works easiest for the situation. I mean OBVIOUSLY the world wasn't literally created in 7 days... or OBVIOUSLY hell isn't necessarily literal hellfire, ya know, it's a "spiritual" separation... and ya know... super metaphorical about that slavery thing. OBVIOUSLY they had metaphorical slaves, god wouldn't literally condone slavery. Right? Right? Tongue

Official ordained minister of the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Please pm me with prayer requests to his noodly goodness. Remember, he boiled for your sins and loves you. Carbo Diem! RAmen.
15-06-2014, 11:15 PM
(15-06-2014 10:46 PM)Logisch Wrote:  
Quote:"The Bible is not meant to be taken literally!"

When it became inconsistent with current views of reality and inconvenient and embarrassing to continue to adopt that way? Easy to adopt things "figuratively" and "metaphorically" since it can be twisted to fit whatever works easiest for the situation. I mean OBVIOUSLY the world wasn't literally created in 7 days... or OBVIOUSLY hell isn't necessarily literal hellfire, ya know, it's a "spiritual" separation... and ya know... super metaphorical about that slavery thing. OBVIOUSLY they had metaphorical slaves, god wouldn't literally condone slavery. Right? Right? Tongue

Well, yes ...
but one (snort) must employ *hermeneutics*.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hermeneutics
Hermeneutics is a fancy-shmacy word for text interpretation. When the tards get really really pissed at me, it's aways "Well, what do you know of hermeneutics" bla bla bla.
To which I always tell them I learned hermeneutics from the master.

Herman Munster

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
15-06-2014, 11:16 PM
(15-06-2014 11:15 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(15-06-2014 10:46 PM)Logisch Wrote:  When it became inconsistent with current views of reality and inconvenient and embarrassing to continue to adopt that way? Easy to adopt things "figuratively" and "metaphorically" since it can be twisted to fit whatever works easiest for the situation. I mean OBVIOUSLY the world wasn't literally created in 7 days... or OBVIOUSLY hell isn't necessarily literal hellfire, ya know, it's a "spiritual" separation... and ya know... super metaphorical about that slavery thing. OBVIOUSLY they had metaphorical slaves, god wouldn't literally condone slavery. Right? Right? Tongue

Well, yes ...
but one (snort) must employ *hermeneutics*.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hermeneutics
Hermeneutics is a fancy-shmacy word for text interpretation. When the tards get really really pissed at me, it's aways "Well, what do you know of hermeneutics" bla bla bla.
To which I always tell them I learned hermeneutics from the master.

Herman Munster

I see what you did there.

Official ordained minister of the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Please pm me with prayer requests to his noodly goodness. Remember, he boiled for your sins and loves you. Carbo Diem! RAmen.
16-06-2014, 02:14 AM
When is became non-life threatening to call them out on their bullshit.

Hey OP, do post on Rivals?
[+] 2 users Like Fodder_From_The_Truth's post
16-06-2014, 02:31 AM
(15-06-2014 05:15 PM)Shadow Fox Wrote:  @jeremy walker

So, what I am getting from this all; because, I do not want to read all that beyond the first couple of paragraphs is that.

" If it contradicts anything, does not make sense, or is an obviously evil act. It is up to the Christian to cherry pick that out and make it into a metaphor so they can "double pick" everything by claiming the entire bible is a metaphor and pick out what is not a metaphor out from what they DO really like"

That is what I get from all that.

At least that's just heavily implied. My mom (catholic) told me that such and such passages were metaphorical, when I pointed out blatant contradictions, evil acts and commandments, and so on. When I asked her "So everything that makes sense is literal, and everything that doesn't is a metaphor?", much to my surprise, she answered "Yes".

The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
[+] 2 users Like One Above All's post
16-06-2014, 03:24 AM
(15-06-2014 05:47 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  
(15-06-2014 05:35 PM)Thinkerbelle Wrote:  It's all literal until someone discovers a flaw. Then it's a parable.

I personally do not hold that view which is obviously a strawman of the position apologists have regarding biblical interpretation.

To be honest, hermeneutics, specifically regarding the Bible is not something that is to taken lightly or flippantly by those who believe it to be the Word of God because those who believe it to be so will also believe that they will be personally held accountable for how they interpret it and how they teach it.

Hermeneutics: the art of making biblical verses say what you would like them to mean

(Mark's dictionary, 2014.)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 5 users Like Mark Fulton's post
16-06-2014, 06:44 AM
(16-06-2014 02:14 AM)Fodder_From_The_Truth Wrote:  When is became non-life threatening to call them out on their bullshit.

How does that saying go? Something like "The Catholic church lost its strongest argument when they stopped burning heretics at the stake".
[+] 3 users Like RobbyPants's post