At What Point Did Christians Decide That The Bible Isn't Meant To Be Taken Literally?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-06-2014, 06:41 PM
RE: At What Point Did Christians Decide That The Bible Isn't Meant To Be Taken Literally?
(16-06-2014 06:39 PM)pablo628 Wrote:  
(16-06-2014 06:30 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  God has made it very clear to us what we must do if we desire to have eternal life.

We must believe in His Son Jesus.

That is clear, concise, and anyone can do it. Thus, this is about as far from jumping through hoops as I can imagine.

What about Allah?

Allah of Islam?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-06-2014, 06:44 PM
RE: At What Point Did Christians Decide That The Bible Isn't Meant To Be Taken Literally?
(16-06-2014 06:41 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  
(16-06-2014 06:39 PM)pablo628 Wrote:  What about Allah?

Allah of Islam?

Sure why not, or any other god that isn't yours.
[+] 3 users Like pablo's post
16-06-2014, 06:45 PM
(16-06-2014 06:44 PM)pablo628 Wrote:  
(16-06-2014 06:41 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  Allah of Islam?

Sure why not, or any other god that isn't yours.

What about these gods?

What are you asking?
16-06-2014, 06:48 PM
(16-06-2014 06:45 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  
(16-06-2014 06:44 PM)pablo628 Wrote:  Sure why not, or any other god that isn't yours.

What about these gods?

What are you asking?

Facepalm
[+] 2 users Like pablo's post
16-06-2014, 06:55 PM
(16-06-2014 06:41 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  
(16-06-2014 06:39 PM)pablo628 Wrote:  What about Allah?

Allah of Islam?

Are you retarded ?

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 4 users Like Bucky Ball's post
16-06-2014, 06:57 PM (This post was last modified: 16-06-2014 07:56 PM by cjlr.)
Ah, you poor thing. I'm indulgent; I'll answer you.

(16-06-2014 05:45 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  I think you mean to say that more people believe the apocrypha inspired than not and that this "majority" claims to have good reasons for maintaining that it is inspired.

Which is true. Disingenuous use of "quotation marks" notwithstanding.

(16-06-2014 05:45 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  To which I would ask two questions:

"How do you know that the majority of the adherents of the Christian religion believe the apocrypha to be inspired?"

Oh, just a little thing we call demographics.

(16-06-2014 05:45 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  "And even if they do, so what?"

Your fatuous subjective justifications are necessarily of no greater than those contradictory subjective experiences of millions of others?

(16-06-2014 05:45 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  
(15-06-2014 06:18 PM)cjlr Wrote:  "What parts of the Bible should be taken literally?" leads inevitably to the question of "what are the parts of the Bible?"

I can be charitable and concur.

But what is your point?

There is not a single claim you can make, as a self-professed Christian, that is not disputed by other self-professed Christians.

Even leaving aside your stunning dishonesty and ignorance, that would leave your personal testimony well short of compelling, given the vanishingly small proportion of global Christians who happen to agree with you with anything approaching regularity.

... this is my signature!
[+] 3 users Like cjlr's post
16-06-2014, 06:59 PM
(16-06-2014 06:55 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(16-06-2014 06:41 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  Allah of Islam?

Are you retarded ?

Why do you ask this?
16-06-2014, 07:05 PM
(16-06-2014 06:04 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  Can you provide me with at least the paragraph in which this sentence was taken. I would prefer a reference to the chapter if possible. I would be interested in finding out what this gentleman was referring to.

You obviously never read it. Open the front cover and find it yourself. You might learn something.

(16-06-2014 06:04 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  We do not know. You just post this portion out of context. It is quite odd to say the least. Nor do we know what he is referring to when he states: "they cannot be accepted in detail as they stand."

Not odd at all to real scholars. Odd indeed to those indoctrinated only by Fundies, and know nothing about real scholarship.

(16-06-2014 06:04 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  The above statement is not controversial at all for it is well known that historians are not in the business of deciding whether or not something is or is not inspired by God.

Nice try. "Inspiration" had nothing to do with the decision for canon formation, which WAS THE POINT. Do try to follow along.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
16-06-2014, 07:08 PM
(16-06-2014 06:59 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  
(16-06-2014 06:55 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Are you retarded ?

Why do you ask this?

Never mind. I see you are.
(Did you fry your brain on drugs ? Is THAT what you want to PM people about ?)

So, is your intent to see how many idiotic inane questions you can ask ?

16-06-2014, 07:10 PM
(16-06-2014 06:57 PM)cjlr Wrote:  Oh, just a little thing we call demographics.

How does the information you linked support your assertion that the majority of the adherents of the Christian religion believe the apocrypha to be inspired?

(16-06-2014 06:57 PM)cjlr Wrote:  Your fatuous subjective justifications are necessarily of no greater than those contradictory subjective experiences of millions of others?

Evidence and arguments are not fatuous subjective justifications. They are supports for my assertion that the apocrypha is not inspired by God.

Those that would disagree would be responsible for bringing evidence and argumentation to the table for investigation and scrutinizing.

(16-06-2014 06:57 PM)cjlr Wrote:  There is not a single claim you can make, as a self-professed Christian, that is not disputed by other self-professed Christians.

This is demonstrably false.

But if it were true, so what?

(16-06-2014 06:57 PM)cjlr Wrote:  Even leaving aside your stunning dishonesty and ignorance, that would leave your personal testimony well short of compelling, given the vanishly small proportion of global Christians who happen to agree with you with anything approaching regularity.

It is "vanishingly" Doctor.....

Secondly, I have never argued against the inspiration of the apocrypha on the basis of my personal testimony.

Thirdly, even if every Christian believed that the apocrypha was inspired except for myself, it does not follow that the apocrypha is inspired.