At What Point Did Christians Decide That The Bible Isn't Meant To Be Taken Literally?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-06-2014, 07:28 PM
RE: At What Point Did Christians Decide That The Bible Isn't Meant To Be Taken Literally?
(16-06-2014 07:25 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  
(16-06-2014 07:23 PM)Bible Belt Brawler Wrote:  What makes the bible superior to the quaran?

[you have to work with him, no matter how frustrating it gets...]

Are you asking what makes the Bible the Inspired word of God and not the Quran?

Bingo. That question made me become atheist, as it did for many others.

Just because YOU believe in fairies doesn't mean anybody else should.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-06-2014, 07:30 PM
RE: At What Point Did Christians Decide That The Bible Isn't Meant To Be Taken Literally?
(16-06-2014 07:28 PM)Bible Belt Brawler Wrote:  
(16-06-2014 07:25 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  Are you asking what makes the Bible the Inspired word of God and not the Quran?

How can a "question" make you become an atheist?
16-06-2014, 07:32 PM
(16-06-2014 07:28 PM)Bible Belt Brawler Wrote:  
(16-06-2014 07:25 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  Are you asking what makes the Bible the Inspired word of God and not the Quran?

As you can see, what Germey learned he learn by rote at Babble College. Please limit your questions to those that can be answered by a rote simple answer from Apologetics for Dummies. Do not expect him to actually think.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
16-06-2014, 07:32 PM (This post was last modified: 16-06-2014 07:38 PM by pablo.)
(16-06-2014 07:30 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  
(16-06-2014 07:28 PM)Bible Belt Brawler Wrote:  Bingo. That question made me become atheist, as it did for many others.

Fucking amazing! You should try it. I guess that means you swallowed the same bullshit you're spewing without question.
16-06-2014, 07:33 PM
(16-06-2014 07:28 PM)Bible Belt Brawler Wrote:  Bingo. That question made me become atheist, as it did for many others.

How does deliberately misinterpreting a statement not make you obnoxious Drinking Beverage
16-06-2014, 07:33 PM

The implications of the question.

Now, please awnser, if you can, why the Bible is the insprired and not the Quaran.

Just because YOU believe in fairies doesn't mean anybody else should.
16-06-2014, 07:35 PM
(15-06-2014 04:56 PM)childeye Wrote:  
(15-06-2014 04:49 PM)WindyCityJazz Wrote:  "The Bible is not meant to be taken literally!"

This is an excuse that I hear all the time from Christians when ridiculous crap from the Bible is brought up in a religious argument. For thousands of years the Bible has been taken literally, and still is by many Christians (though they love to ignore all that immoral shit that is condoned in parts like Leviticus and Deuteronomy). It was considered to literally be the word of their infallible god. You were ABSOLUTELY NOT allowed to question "The Good Book", as they love to call it. It was considered to be 100% true and 100% historically accurate, and therefore not allowed to be questioned.

So when did Christians decide that the Bible was no longer to be taken literally? Seems to me like nothing more than a cheap cop-out by Christians to create some excuse to hold onto all the garbage in their book in today's technologically advanced society.
In fact there was no bible in the beginnings of Christianity. There were the writings known as the Old Testament. In fact Christ said to the Jews who rejected him, go look in your precious scriptures in which you think you have eternal life, for they all refer to me. Moreover the bible is full of metaphor which was never meant to be taken literally. Some is literal of course, but Jesus spoke in parables which are analogies.

Tell us exactly where he said that.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
16-06-2014, 07:36 PM
(16-06-2014 07:33 PM)Bible Belt Brawler Wrote:  
(16-06-2014 07:30 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  How can a "question" make you become an atheist?

The implications of the question.

Now, please awnser, if you can, why the Bible is the insprired and not the Quaran.

I will compile some references for you and send them to you in a PM sometime tomorrow. I am about to go to bed now.
16-06-2014, 07:40 PM
(16-06-2014 07:36 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  
(16-06-2014 07:33 PM)Bible Belt Brawler Wrote:  The implications of the question.

I will compile some references for you and send them to you in a PM sometime tomorrow. I am about to go to bed now.

If you actually do this, let us all see them.
16-06-2014, 07:43 PM
(16-06-2014 07:35 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(15-06-2014 04:56 PM)childeye Wrote:  In fact there was no bible in the beginnings of Christianity. There were the writings known as the Old Testament. In fact Christ said to the Jews who rejected him, go look in your precious scriptures in which you think you have eternal life, for they all refer to me. Moreover the bible is full of metaphor which was never meant to be taken literally. Some is literal of course, but Jesus spoke in parables which are analogies.

Tell us exactly where he said that.
John 5:39
Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me.