At What Point Did Christians Decide That The Bible Isn't Meant To Be Taken Literally?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-06-2014, 07:52 PM
RE: At What Point Did Christians Decide That The Bible Isn't Meant To Be Taken Literally?
(16-06-2014 07:36 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  
(16-06-2014 07:33 PM)Bible Belt Brawler Wrote:  The implications of the question.

Now, please awnser, if you can, why the Bible is the insprired and not the Quaran.

I will compile some references for you and send them to you in a PM sometime tomorrow. I am about to go to bed now.

As am I.

Just because YOU believe in fairies doesn't mean anybody else should.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-06-2014, 07:53 PM
RE: At What Point Did Christians Decide That The Bible Isn't Meant To Be Taken Literally?
(16-06-2014 07:43 PM)childeye Wrote:  
(16-06-2014 07:35 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Tell us exactly where he said that.
John 5:39
Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me.

So then. He didn't say what you said he said. Or do you have some evidence ?

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
16-06-2014, 08:02 PM
(16-06-2014 07:10 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  
(16-06-2014 06:57 PM)cjlr Wrote:  Oh, just a little thing we call demographics.

How does the information you linked support your assertion that the majority of the adherents of the Christian religion believe the apocrypha to be inspired?

To be fair, I made a slight assumption there. You see, I figured that Catholics believed Catholic doctrine, that Orthodox Christians believe Orthodox doctrine, and so on.

Do you feel that's a fair assumption?

(16-06-2014 07:10 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  Evidence and arguments are not fatuous subjective justifications.

Indeed.

I've yet to see you present any such thing. But feel free to begin, any time you like.

(16-06-2014 07:10 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  They are supports for my assertion that the apocrypha is not inspired by God.

Those that would disagree would be responsible for bringing evidence and argumentation to the table for investigation and scrutinizing.

Indeed.

Perhaps you should ask the relevant theological authorities? They have, as it happens, at least as much justification for their beliefs as you do for yours.

(16-06-2014 06:57 PM)cjlr Wrote:  There is not a single claim you can make, as a self-professed Christian, that is not disputed by other self-professed Christians.

This is demonstrably false.

But if it were true, so what?

Okay. Demonstrate it.

If it were true (protip: it is), it means that any possible thing you might claim - founded, inevitably, on nothing more than personal subjective experience - is countered by personal subjective experience to the contrary.

(16-06-2014 06:57 PM)cjlr Wrote:  Even leaving aside your stunning dishonesty and ignorance, that would leave your personal testimony well short of compelling, given the vanishly small proportion of global Christians who happen to agree with you with anything approaching regularity.

Secondly, I have never argued against the inspiration of the apocrypha on the basis of my personal testimony.

You have never made a single assertion founded on anything but your own woeful, ignorant feels.

(16-06-2014 07:10 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  Thirdly, even if every Christian believed that the apocrypha was inspired except for myself, it does not follow that the apocrypha is inspired.

Indeed it does not.

It means that a great many people have reasons which are, to them, at least as compelling as your reasons are to you.

Thus, from the perspective of one who believes neither, neither is more compelling.

(16-06-2014 07:10 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  It is "vanishingly" Doctor.....

Nothing says "I have no competent response" like "you made a typo". Stay classy, you inveterate failure.

... this is my signature!
[+] 2 users Like cjlr's post
16-06-2014, 09:12 PM
At What Point Did Christians Decide That The Bible Isn't Meant To Be Taken Literally?
(16-06-2014 07:19 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  
(16-06-2014 07:15 PM)Impulse Wrote:  Bible: irrelevant
Ten Commandments: irrelevant
Murder, rape, steal, but believe in Jesus and you get eternal life.

Got it. Thumbsup

Jesus came not to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance.

Hmm, you're having to clarify. So much for "clear and concise". Consider

I am not accountable to any God. I am accountable to myself - and not because I think I am God as some theists would try to assert - but because, no matter what actions I take, thoughts I think, or words I utter, I have to be able to live with myself.
16-06-2014, 11:20 PM
(16-06-2014 06:30 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  God has made it very clear to us what we must do if we desire to have eternal life.

We must believe in His Son Jesus.

That is clear, concise, and anyone can do it. Thus, this is about as far from jumping through hoops as I can imagine.

Wa wa wa waaaaiiiit a second here. How is that not just stating that we can be saved simply by jumping through the biggest hoop ever imagined?

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 2 users Like evenheathen's post
16-06-2014, 11:24 PM
(16-06-2014 11:20 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(16-06-2014 06:30 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  God has made it very clear to us what we must do if we desire to have eternal life.

That is clear, concise, and anyone can do it. Thus, this is about as far from jumping through hoops as I can imagine.

Wa wa wa waaaaiiiit a second here. How is that not just stating that we can be saved simply by jumping through the biggest hoop ever imagined?

Or a massive loophole. Dodgy

[Image: getoutofjail.jpg]

It doesn't matter what a rape-apologizing, narcissistic, misogynistic, oblivious, ignorant, asshole you are in life. All you have to do is believe some unsubstantiated bullshit on no evidence whatsoever and all will be forgiven. So I guess god gave us a brain, then demands that we forsake it's use for salvation. Funny how that works...

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 4 users Like EvolutionKills's post
16-06-2014, 11:34 PM
Yeah, that's what I was going for. Loopholes, hoops.....either way it's just a bullshit way of constructing the house of cards with a way of getting from one side to the other without having to knock it down. Once you start actually inspecting the cards, well, you better not try to turn any over or the whole damn thing comes down in a hurry.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 1 user Likes evenheathen's post
17-06-2014, 12:11 AM
(16-06-2014 11:34 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  Yeah, that's what I was going for. Loopholes, hoops.....either way it's just a bullshit way of constructing the house of cards with a way of getting from one side to the other without having to knock it down. Once you start actually inspecting the cards, well, you better not try to turn any over or the whole damn thing comes down in a hurry.

Not that Wanker noticed this. Nope, he got lucky indeed. So lucky in fact that Wanker was born in the right country, in the right time, to the right parents, to be brought up in the right faith, to get access to the right message handed down from the right god to gain access to the right afterlife. I mean, all things must be coming up roses in Wanker's life, he did get ever so fucking lucky. All those malnourished and starving children in Africa having their eyes eaten slowly by parasites? They just weren't lucky like our boy Wanker here, they just lucked out. How can that happen in light of an all-powerful and loving deity? Couldn't that god intervene to save these people, and demonstrate his power and existence unquestionably, and at the cost of literally nothing to the deity itself? Couldn't it demonstrate it's existence in such a way as to make it's presence known and believe throughout the world, thus guaranteeing salvation for all? Wouldn't an all-powerful and loving deity do at least this much?

But really, who cares? Wanker is getting into heaven (for-realsies), and that's all he cares about.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
17-06-2014, 07:03 AM
(16-06-2014 07:24 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  Allah is Arabic for God.

You should know this.

So in order not to be presumptuous, I simply asked for clarification from pablo about what he was asking.

Is this hard for you to comprehend sir?

Do, in order to avoid being presumptuous, you assume that he might have been switching languages for one word randomly in an entirely English conversation on an English forum?

Ausgezeichnet.
17-06-2014, 10:04 AM
RE: At What Point Did Christians Decide The Bible Isn't Meant To Be Taken Literally?
(16-06-2014 06:44 PM)pablo628 Wrote:  
(16-06-2014 06:41 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  Allah of Islam?

Sure why not, or any other god that isn't yours.

Jer, I think I made it clear with this post that I was asking about any god(s) other than the one you follow.
Once again, you avoided answering the real question I was asking. (It's what you do.)

Quote:God has made it very clear to us what we must do if we desire to have eternal life.

What about the others gods? What makes them wrong and jebus right?

I doubt you'll give a straight answer, but what the hell. Frusty