At What Point Did Christians Decide That The Bible Isn't Meant To Be Taken Literally?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-06-2014, 10:46 AM (This post was last modified: 17-06-2014 10:59 AM by Deltabravo.)
RE: At What Point Did Christians Decide That The Bible Isn't Meant To Be Taken Literally?
(17-06-2014 10:04 AM)pablo628 Wrote:  
(16-06-2014 06:44 PM)pablo628 Wrote:  Sure why not, or any other god that isn't yours.

Jer, I think I made it clear with this post that I was asking about any god(s) other than the one you follow.
Once again, you avoided answering the real question I was asking. (It's what you do.)

Quote:God has made it very clear to us what we must do if we desire to have eternal life.

We must believe in His Son Jesus.

That is clear, concise, and anyone can do it. Thus, this is about as far from jumping through hoops as I can imagine.

What about the others gods? What makes them wrong and jebus right?

I doubt you'll give a straight answer, but what the hell. Frusty

Christians knew the bible was fiction when they wrote it. It is a product of "priest craft" which was an ancient "profession" just as all crafts were. It was practiced like other crafts by those who had a flare for it and were invited into the craft and the techniques were passed on from one generation to the next. It is an ancient form of indoctrination and carried on down though the centuries. It is associated with the "celts" who are people who worshipped in "cult-like" groups. It has a recognizable formal style. It involves creating stories which promote the values of a society which means the ruling class of that society. It is anonymously written and has a rustic as the presenter of the story, like Jesus, but these presenters are mythical. This tradition continued through celtic literature for many thousand of years and was studied by a Harvard professor, William Henry Schofield who wrote about it in this book: http://www.archive.org/stream/mythicalba...t_djvu.txt

There is a funny part in the book where Schofield examines the stories of William Wallace and Robert the Bruce and finds that they are exactly the same in many places. The writer of "The Wallace" just copied the same tales and attributed them to William Wallace, all to create a "Scottish" national hero. The author of this was supposed to be "Blind Harry", a minstrel who was blind from birth but the book is hundreds of pages long and written as a poem. Schofield shows how the real author went by the name "Stobo" but was actually a cleric employed by the Scottish royal court.

My view is that people really do have to stop looking at the Bible as "evidence" of the truth of anything in it. It just is a propagandist piece of work and as soon as you stray away from this and look at it as anything to do with history, you get bogged down in a quagmire of pointless arguments. We don't, today, have an understanding of why or how people wrote works like it but in "them days" rulers had to rule and they did so by scaring the hell out of the people they ruled, keeping them illiterate and poor and the best way to do that was to construct an ideology which most people accepted and which put the rulers at the head of it. It is much cheaper than having prisons and police and it justifies murdering people who get in your way. It's all part of our brutalistic past when leaders became leaders because they were mainly psychopaths who had no qualms about lying and killing to stay in power. Much like today.Laugh out load
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Deltabravo's post
17-06-2014, 10:49 AM
RE: At What Point Did Christians Decide That The Bible Isn't Meant To Be Taken Literally?
(16-06-2014 11:24 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(16-06-2014 11:20 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  Wa wa wa waaaaiiiit a second here. How is that not just stating that we can be saved simply by jumping through the biggest hoop ever imagined?

Or a massive loophole. Dodgy

[Image: getoutofjail.jpg]

It doesn't matter what a rape-apologizing, narcissistic, misogynistic, oblivious, ignorant, asshole you are in life. All you have to do is believe some unsubstantiated bullshit on no evidence whatsoever and all will be forgiven. So I guess god gave us a brain, then demands that we forsake it's use for salvation. Funny how that works...

It is funny that the greatest trick religion ever pulled was making one believe any deity was real and having people waste their lives worrying about what their imaginary gods think of them, and where they go after life is over. It is several absurd hoops within a massive hoop. Well. ... Actually it isn't funny at all.

A wise person makes their own decisions; an ignorant one follows public opinion.
[+] 1 user Likes Elskidor's post
17-06-2014, 11:09 AM
At What Point Did Christians Decide That The Bible Isn't Meant To Be Taken Literally?
(17-06-2014 10:49 AM)Elskidor Wrote:  
(16-06-2014 11:24 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Or a massive loophole. Dodgy

[Image: getoutofjail.jpg]

It doesn't matter what a rape-apologizing, narcissistic, misogynistic, oblivious, ignorant, asshole you are in life. All you have to do is believe some unsubstantiated bullshit on no evidence whatsoever and all will be forgiven. So I guess god gave us a brain, then demands that we forsake it's use for salvation. Funny how that works...

It is funny that the greatest trick religion ever pulled was making one believe any deity was real and having people waste their lives worrying about what their imaginary gods think of them, and where they go after life is over. It is several absurd hoops within a massive hoop. Well. ... Actually it isn't funny at all.

Because we just don't get enough Carlin in our everyday lives.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 4 users Like EvolutionKills's post
17-06-2014, 11:24 AM
RE: At What Point Did Christians Decide The Bible Isn't Meant To Be Taken Literally?
(17-06-2014 10:46 AM)Deltabravo Wrote:  
(17-06-2014 10:04 AM)pablo628 Wrote:  Jer, I think I made it clear with this post that I was asking about any god(s) other than the one you follow.
Once again, you avoided answering the real question I was asking. (It's what you do.)

What about the others gods? What makes them wrong and jebus right?

I doubt you'll give a straight answer, but what the hell. Frusty

Christians knew the bible was fiction when they wrote it. It is a product of "priest craft" which was an ancient "profession" just as all crafts were. It was practiced like other crafts by those who had a flare for it and were invited into the craft and the techniques were passed on from one generation to the next. It is an ancient form of indoctrination and carried on down though the centuries. It is associated with the "celts" who are people who worshipped in "cult-like" groups. It has a recognizable formal style. It involves creating stories which promote the values of a society which means the ruling class of that society. It is anonymously written and has a rustic as the presenter of the story, like Jesus, but these presenters are mythical. This tradition continued through celtic literature for many thousand of years and was studied by a Harvard professor, William Henry Schofield who wrote about it in this book: http://www.archive.org/stream/mythicalba...t_djvu.txt

There is a funny part in the book where Schofield examines the stories of William Wallace and Robert the Bruce and finds that they are exactly the same in many places. The writer of "The Wallace" just copied the same tales and attributed them to William Wallace, all to create a "Scottish" national hero. The author of this was supposed to be "Blind Harry", a minstrel who was blind from birth but the book is hundreds of pages long and written as a poem. Schofield shows how the real author went by the name "Stobo" but was actually a cleric employed by the Scottish royal court.

My view is that people really do have to stop looking at the Bible as "evidence" of the truth of anything in it. It just is a propagandist piece of work and as soon as you stray away from this and look at it as anything to do with history, you get bogged down in a quagmire of pointless arguments. We don't, today, have an understanding of why or how people wrote works like it but in "them days" rulers had to rule and they did so by scaring the hell out of the people they ruled, keeping them illiterate and poor and the best way to do that was to construct an ideology which most people accepted and which put the rulers at the head of it. It is much cheaper than having prisons and police and it justifies murdering people who get in your way. It's all part of our brutalistic past when leaders became leaders because they were mainly psychopaths who had no qualms about lying and killing to stay in power. Much like today.Laugh out load

No Not even close to what I was asking, but hey, you gave it a shot.

Quote: It is anonymously written and has a rustic as the presenter of the story, like Jesus, but these presenters are mythical. Laughat

Facepalm
17-06-2014, 12:00 PM
(16-06-2014 07:53 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(16-06-2014 07:43 PM)childeye Wrote:  John 5:39
Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me.

So then. He didn't say what you said he said. Or do you have some evidence ?
Just because I don't recall verbatim is no excuse to cry foul. The point remains the same, Eternal Life is not in the scriptures.
17-06-2014, 12:02 PM
They found out the first time they began adding additional books and chapters to them to help muddle down the bullshit. Simple as that.

Crazy you say?
Wouldn't a crazy man ask another man if he was crazy?! Hobo
17-06-2014, 12:13 PM
(17-06-2014 12:00 PM)childeye Wrote:  
(16-06-2014 07:53 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  So then. He didn't say what you said he said. Or do you have some evidence ?
Just because I don't recall verbatim is no excuse to cry foul. The point remains the same, Eternal Life is not in the scriptures.

An interesting claim.

Romans 6 Wrote:21 What fruit had ye then in those things whereof ye are now ashamed? for the end of those things is death.
22 But now being made free from sin, and become servants to God, ye have your fruit unto holiness, and the end everlasting life.
23 For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.

Have you read your own scriptures?

... this is my signature!
[+] 3 users Like cjlr's post
17-06-2014, 12:21 PM
(17-06-2014 11:09 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(17-06-2014 10:49 AM)Elskidor Wrote:  It is funny that the greatest trick religion ever pulled was making one believe any deity was real and having people waste their lives worrying about what their imaginary gods think of them, and where they go after life is over. It is several absurd hoops within a massive hoop. Well. ... Actually it isn't funny at all.

Because we just don't get enough Carlin in our everyday lives.

The moral of that YouTube video is it's about damn time Joe friggin Pesci gets back to making movies!

A wise person makes their own decisions; an ignorant one follows public opinion.
[+] 1 user Likes Elskidor's post
17-06-2014, 12:32 PM
(16-06-2014 07:53 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  So then. He didn't say what you said he said. Or do you have some evidence ?

Daniel 12:2
And many of those who sleep in the dust of the earth shall awake, Some to everlasting life, Some to shame and everlasting contempt.

John 3:16
For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.

Consider

@DonaldTrump, Patriotism is not honoring your flag no matter what your country/leader does. It's doing whatever it takes to make your country the best it can be as long as its not violent.
[+] 1 user Likes Impulse's post
17-06-2014, 12:42 PM

Wow - eternal life not in scripture! Eternal life not in scripture!!!

WTFF - why is it that some come here to claim some supernatural knowledge, and then bumble around trying to explain it, until the cheese completely slides off of their cracker! "Batshit crazy" would not be fun to say without folks like these I guess.

“Truth does not demand belief. Scientists do not join hands every Sunday, singing, yes, gravity is real! I will have faith! I will be strong! I believe in my heart that what goes up, up, up, must come down, down, down. Amen! If they did, we would think they were pretty insecure about it.”
— Dan Barker —