At my hometown

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-07-2012, 01:31 PM (This post was last modified: 30-07-2012 03:23 PM by il_bandit.)
At my hometown
I have asked the people who run the little newspaper in my hometown to put up a poll this week saying "do you believe in evolution"

In a few hours it has netted 3 "yes"s...one of which was mine, two "no"s and one "not sure"...

EDIT one. 4-4-1

-summum ius, summa iniuria.-M. T. Cicero
-I will show you fear in a handful of dust.-T.S. Eliot
-
ἡ φύσις οὐδὲν ποιεῖ ἅλματα

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-09-2012, 01:22 AM
RE: At my hometown
(30-07-2012 01:31 PM)il_bandit Wrote:  I have asked the people who run the little newspaper in my hometown to put up a poll this week saying "do you believe in evolution"

In a few hours it has netted 3 "yes"s...one of which was mine, two "no"s and one "not sure"...

EDIT one. 4-4-1

Always a little sceptical about surveys like this, because all it really tells you is that only 9 people out of the (I am assuming) many more who read the survey could actually be bothered to answer it

The secret to a happy life is lowering your expectations to the point where they are already met
18-09-2012, 01:41 AM
Where is your town?

In my ex-town I'd have been excited for one single other person to be for evolution.
19-09-2012, 10:24 PM
If the newspaper in my old town ever ran that survey, I'm afraid the answer would make most of us cry. I used to live in a place where the greatest political force in the community was the baptist mega-church. They made sure that only creationists could get elected to any position of power.

Stop the itchy blanket of Creationism from spreading to our classrooms. Say no to Iron Age superstitions Evil_monster
21-09-2012, 05:03 PM
Most people I know do not believe. They say it's just theory and if it were proven it would be a law.

I really don't know if it's true or not. But I do remember enough of science in college to know they're mistaken.

---
On the Fence
21-09-2012, 05:06 PM
(21-09-2012 05:03 PM)Onthefence Wrote:  Most people I know do not believe. They say it's just theory and if it were proven it would be a law.

I really don't know if it's true or not. But I do remember enough of science in college to know they're mistaken.

The "just a theory" line shows a complete misunderstanding of what is meant by theory in science.

A scientific theory is "a well-substantiated explanation of some aspect of the natural world, based on a body of facts that have been repeatedly confirmed through observation and experiment."

Evolution is a fact.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
21-09-2012, 05:32 PM
(21-09-2012 05:06 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(21-09-2012 05:03 PM)Onthefence Wrote:  Most people I know do not believe. They say it's just theory and if it were proven it would be a law.

The "just a theory" line shows a complete misunderstanding of what is meant by theory in science.

A scientific theory is "a well-substantiated explanation of some aspect of the natural world, based on a body of facts that have been repeatedly confirmed through observation and experiment."

Evolution is a fact.

Exactly! I made the mistake pointing that out once and was told flat out wrong.

However, how can you say it's [evolution] a fact? If we have a common ancestor with apes (no I'm NOT going to ask why we still have apes -lol) at what point did reproduction with apes cease to be possible. I assume there had to be some cross over period where ape (of whatever) would breed with a hominid successfully producing offspring. When did they loose that ability?

---
On the Fence
21-09-2012, 05:40 PM
(21-09-2012 05:32 PM)Onthefence Wrote:  
(21-09-2012 05:06 PM)Chas Wrote:  The "just a theory" line shows a complete misunderstanding of what is meant by theory in science.

Evolution is a fact.

Exactly! I made the mistake pointing that out once and was told flat out wrong.

However, how can you say it's [evolution] a fact? If we have a common ancestor with apes (no I'm NOT going to ask why we still have apes -lol) at what point did reproduction with apes cease to be possible. I assume there had to be some cross over period where ape (of whatever) would breed with a hominid successfully producing offspring. When did they loose that ability?

There was a species of animal. It separated into two geographically isolated populations. Each of those populations continued to change; one became chimpanzees, the other became human. The original species no longer exists - it wasn't us and it wasn't chimps.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
21-09-2012, 05:46 PM
(21-09-2012 05:32 PM)Onthefence Wrote:  However, how can you say it's [evolution] a fact? If we have a common ancestor with apes (no I'm NOT going to ask why we still have apes -lol) at what point did reproduction with apes cease to be possible. I assume there had to be some cross over period where ape (of whatever) would breed with a hominid successfully producing offspring. When did they loose that ability?

I think this question is hard to answer for our species more because of our species and less because of the principles. Speciation, I'm give to understand, is easier to study in other species that reproduce more quickly and can drift more quickly. The problem with humans is that the divergence was a few million years ago and only one species of homo is really left today. Maybe if Neanderthals had survived in a geographically isolated area for long enough we might have had a chance to see this with our own cousins. Smile
21-09-2012, 05:54 PM
(21-09-2012 05:40 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(21-09-2012 05:32 PM)Onthefence Wrote:  Exactly! I made the mistake pointing that out once and was told flat out wrong.

There was a species of animal. It separated into two geographically isolated populations. Each of those populations continued to change; one became chimpanzees, the other became human. The original species no longer exists - it wasn't us and it wasn't chimps.

Bigfoot? Just kidding. I assume there is some sort of proof of this.....or is this referring to "Lucy?" Forgive me if my knowledge is dated in bringing up "Lucy" I thought they suspected she was like a missing link...but is there more proof?

---
On the Fence