At my hometown

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-09-2012, 05:59 PM
RE: At my hometown
(21-09-2012 05:54 PM)Onthefence Wrote:  
(21-09-2012 05:40 PM)Chas Wrote:  There was a species of animal. It separated into two geographically isolated populations. Each of those populations continued to change; one became chimpanzees, the other became human. The original species no longer exists - it wasn't us and it wasn't chimps.

Bigfoot? Just kidding. I assume there is some sort of proof of this.....or is this referring to "Lucy?" Forgive me if my knowledge is dated in bringing up "Lucy" I thought they suspected she was like a missing link...but is there more proof?

DNA.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-09-2012, 06:03 PM
At my hometown
Nova did a great series called Becoming Human. It's online, but I watched it on Netflix. You might enjoy it.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/evolution/b...human.html

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
21-09-2012, 06:06 PM
(21-09-2012 06:03 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  Nova did a great series called Becoming Human. It's online, but I watched it on Netflix. You might enjoy it.

Thank you, actually watching Netflix now, while cooking dinner.

---
On the Fence
21-09-2012, 06:09 PM
At my hometown
(21-09-2012 06:06 PM)Onthefence Wrote:  
(21-09-2012 06:03 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  Nova did a great series called Becoming Human. It's online, but I watched it on Netflix. You might enjoy it.

Thank you, actually watching Netflix now, while cooking dinner.

What are we having? I just got home and am too tired to cook.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
21-09-2012, 06:09 PM
@erxomai
Found it on netflix. Watching part 1 now. Thank you so much for suggesting this. :-)

---
On the Fence
21-09-2012, 06:11 PM
(21-09-2012 06:09 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(21-09-2012 06:06 PM)Onthefence Wrote:  Thank you, actually watching Netflix now, while cooking dinner.

What are we having? I just got home and am too tired to cook.

Pot roast Ina Garten's recipe ( from food network), baked potatoes, green beans and red chard. :-)

---
On the Fence
21-09-2012, 06:13 PM
At my hometown
(21-09-2012 06:11 PM)Onthefence Wrote:  
(21-09-2012 06:09 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  What are we having? I just got home and am too tired to cook.

Pot roast Ina Garten's recipe ( from food network), baked potatoes, green beans and red chard. :-)

Perfect! Pot roast is one of my faves!

21-09-2012, 06:19 PM
Am I invited? Taking the bus to and from work has me beat. Erx, I, too, extend my gratitude for the recommendation.

Drinking Beverage Grab a cuppa' joe; sit-n-read my blog for a spell: www.vaweber.wordpress.com
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
21-09-2012, 06:21 PM
At my hometown
(21-09-2012 06:19 PM)ValerieAnn1975 Wrote:  Am I invited? Taking the bus to and from work has me beat. Erx, I, too, extend my gratitude for the recommendation.

You can have my green beans if you give me some of your roast beef.

21-09-2012, 06:34 PM
(21-09-2012 05:59 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(21-09-2012 05:54 PM)Onthefence Wrote:  Bigfoot? Just kidding. I assume there is some sort of proof of this.....or is this referring to "Lucy?" Forgive me if my knowledge is dated in bringing up "Lucy" I thought they suspected she was like a missing link...but is there more proof?

DNA.

Not to sound argumentative, but when you say DNA who's DNA are you referring? The chimpanzee? My or your DNA? The fossilized remains of some long extinct species? I'll admit I know next to nothing about DNA, so when you say it's evidence of evolution...

To compare DNA between say two people you must have samples from both parties. Wouldn't it be the same if you say there was a species that wasn't a chimpanzee or human that caused or precipated a new branch (us or them the chimpanzees) then there must be something other than DNA to validate that statement. The DNA isn't going to tell you what long extinct animal we evolved from...right?

I know I'm probably sounding very stupid and I'm sorry. Is this what would be called a transitional species?

---
On the Fence