At my hometown

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-09-2012, 06:47 PM
RE: At my hometown
(21-09-2012 06:21 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(21-09-2012 06:19 PM)ValerieAnn1975 Wrote:  Am I invited? Taking the bus to and from work has me beat. Erx, I, too, extend my gratitude for the recommendation.

You can have my green beans if you give me some of your roast beef.

Im a stay at home mom, stuck with kids all day. Bring lots of wine and I don't care who comes!

---
On the Fence
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Onthefence's post
21-09-2012, 07:00 PM
(21-09-2012 06:47 PM)Onthefence Wrote:  
(21-09-2012 06:21 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  You can have my green beans if you give me some of your roast beef.

Im a stay at home mom, stuck with kids all day. Bring lots of wine and I don't care who comes!

Come on, everybody! Party at Onthefence's house! Cool

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
21-09-2012, 07:21 PM

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist
The noblest of the dogs is the hot dog. It feeds the hand that bites it.
21-09-2012, 09:54 PM

This was fascinating! Wow. Thank you.

---
On the Fence
21-09-2012, 10:05 PM (This post was last modified: 21-09-2012 10:14 PM by Bucky Ball.)
There are many good videos on the genetic evidence for evolution. One series I like are made by one of our members.
Of course Richard Dawkins books are great, (he is an evolutionary biologist), and deals with genetics and DNA.

My favorite argument to creationists is : "so, if you were arrested, and were sitting in jail, and DNA could prove you to be innocent, would you use it or not ? If you would, you have to believe in evolution if you understand DNA, if you would say 'no', I need to explain a few things to you".

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist
The noblest of the dogs is the hot dog. It feeds the hand that bites it.
21-09-2012, 10:48 PM
At my hometown
(21-09-2012 10:05 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  There are many good videos on the genetic evidence for evolution. One series I like are made by one of our members.
Of course Richard Dawkins books are great, (he is an evolutionary biologist), and deals with genetics and DNA.

My favorite argument to creationists is : "so, if you were arrested, and were sitting in jail, and DNA could prove you to be innocent, would you use it or not ? If you would, you have to believe in evolution if you understand DNA, if you would say 'no', I need to explain a few things to you".

Plus there's your mom.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
22-09-2012, 08:05 AM
(21-09-2012 06:34 PM)Onthefence Wrote:  
(21-09-2012 05:59 PM)Chas Wrote:  DNA.

Not to sound argumentative, but when you say DNA who's DNA are you referring? The chimpanzee? My or your DNA? The fossilized remains of some long extinct species? I'll admit I know next to nothing about DNA, so when you say it's evidence of evolution...

To compare DNA between say two people you must have samples from both parties. Wouldn't it be the same if you say there was a species that wasn't a chimpanzee or human that caused or precipated a new branch (us or them the chimpanzees) then there must be something other than DNA to validate that statement. The DNA isn't going to tell you what long extinct animal we evolved from...right?

I know I'm probably sounding very stupid and I'm sorry. Is this what would be called a transitional species?

To explain the DNA evidence would take a fair amount of typing, like book-length.
You will have to investigate the science and the arguments, but there are many good sources. Others have pointed them out to you; Richard Dawkins, Jerry Coyne, et al.

The evidence for evolution comes from many disciplines and is formed by an interlocking network of support, fact upon fact, inference upon inference. I am not capable of summarizing the support DNA provides for evolution in a concise manner that is convincing.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
22-09-2012, 12:24 PM
(22-09-2012 08:05 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(21-09-2012 06:34 PM)Onthefence Wrote:  Not to sound argumentative, but when you say DNA who's DNA are you referring? The chimpanzee? My or your DNA? The fossilized remains of some long extinct species? I'll admit I know next to nothing about DNA, so when you say it's evidence of evolution...

To compare DNA between say two people you must have samples from both parties. Wouldn't it be the same if you say there was a species that wasn't a chimpanzee or human that caused or precipated a new branch (us or them the chimpanzees) then there must be something other than DNA to validate that statement. The DNA isn't going to tell you what long extinct animal we evolved from...right?

I know I'm probably sounding very stupid and I'm sorry. Is this what would be called a transitional species?

To explain the DNA evidence would take a fair amount of typing, like book-length.
You will have to investigate the science and the arguments, but there are many good sources. Others have pointed them out to you; Richard Dawkins, Jerry Coyne, et al.

The evidence for evolution comes from many disciplines and is formed by an interlocking network of support, fact upon fact, inference upon inference. I am not capable of summarizing the support DNA provides for evolution in a concise manner that is convincing.

Thanks, for replying. I'll look into it. I suppose I was hoping for a simple answer. Smile We've had Bible study on evolution and why it's false. However I'm seeing that most of the information they sited was seriously wrong.

---
On the Fence
22-09-2012, 12:55 PM
Onthefence Wrote:
Is this what would be called a transitional species?

All species are or will be transitional.

Great, isn't it?

I'd loved to be stopped in the street by Ray "bananaman" Comfort when he's asking "can you name a transitional fossil" just so that I can reply...

"Yeah... you"

Smile

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
22-09-2012, 02:10 PM
(22-09-2012 12:24 PM)Onthefence Wrote:  
(22-09-2012 08:05 AM)Chas Wrote:  To explain the DNA evidence would take a fair amount of typing, like book-length.

Thanks, for replying. I'll look into it. I suppose I was hoping for a simple answer. Smile We've had Bible study on evolution and why it's false. However I'm seeing that most of the information they sited was seriously wrong.

The simple summary of DNA evidence is that all living creatures on Earth share the same DNA biochemistry and mechanisms; that there are genes in widely different species that are identical or very similar; that the more closely things seem to be related, the more similar is their DNA; we have about 98%+ of our DNA in common with chimpanzees.

When we look at the differences in DNA from species to species, we see a family of differences that are easily explainable as the branching tree that evolution would result in. Unless, of course, God has a sense of humor and put all of this together to fool us. Shocking

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post